    command line?

    Thanks,

    Ed,

    gencode, Feb 1, 2005

  2. gencode

    Paul Cocker Guest

    Ed,

    I use the following commands to limit the upload bandwidth for the ip
    address 192.168.20.5 to 256k.

    access-list 101 permit ip host 192.168.20.5 any

    interface Ethernet0/0
    rate-limit input access-group 101 256000 2000 2000 conform-action transmit
    exceed-action drop

    From my experience file sharing programs tend to cause most problems with
    the upload speed rather than the download speed. If you've no experience
    of cisco routers at all then I'd probably say this was beyond your
    capabiities. If you want to learn then you could try this book

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...66554/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_1_3/202-5804766-2704661

    but it's not something you're likely to manage in a weekend, and that's just
    an introduction.

    If you'd like I'd be happy to try and help you if you gave me access to the
    router. Though you don't know my from Adam so maybe that's not a good idea
    on your part!

    I've seen people who advertise their services on ebay, maybe that would be a
    good alternative.

    Regards
    Paul

    Paul Cocker, Feb 2, 2005

  3. gencode

    gencode Guest

    Found this too, thanks

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ommand_reference_chapter09186a008010a38c.html

    I guess really what I want to do is be sure that all "web" traffic and
    "ftp" traffic have priority or full bandwidth (1.5mb) and all other
    traffic like Games, KAZA ports have to fight it out over .5 mb

    Thanks again,

    Ed,

    Paul Cocker wrote:
    > Ed,
    >
    > I use the following commands to limit the upload bandwidth for the ip

    > address 192.168.20.5 to 256k.
    >
    > access-list 101 permit ip host 192.168.20.5 any
    >
    > interface Ethernet0/0
    > rate-limit input access-group 101 256000 2000 2000 conform-action

    transmit
    > exceed-action drop
    >
    > From my experience file sharing programs tend to cause most problems

    with

    gencode, Feb 3, 2005
  4. gencode

    gencode Guest

    Paul,

    Thanks, yes I did notice that the upload had dropped down yesterday,
    but they have turned sharing off, I know enough to do basic routes, one
    to one NATS etc, but not much more than basic stuff.

    So this will only limit upload...is there a way to limit download by IP
    too?

    They were affecting download speeds by kicking off 50 download
    connections at once on Limewire, they were more than happy to set it
    back to 1 at a time, they don't want to see problems on the network
    either...hey even that is better than dial-up, but I would rather the
    router do the managing for us instead of me having to "watch" what is
    going on.

    Thanks for the reading advice,

    Ed,

    gencode, Feb 3, 2005