    It's possible ?

    thanks
    Mag
    Mag, Mar 30, 2009

  2. Mag

    Mag Guest

    Mag a écrit :
    > Hi
    >

    > I am search a solution for limit the bandwitch of
    > one cisco Fe port on a Catalyst 3550 :
    >
    > I have a server connected at 100 Mbits on this port.
    > I want limit the bandwitch at 10 Mbits In and 10 Mbits Out
    >
    > if the server use > 10 Mbits => use a queue and when the queue
    > are full, drop the packet.
    >
    > It's possible ?
    >
    > thanks
    > Mag

    Small information:

    Limitation based on port, not IP because the port are connected to a
    other switch and it's possible in the futur that they have a second
    server
    Mag, Mar 30, 2009

  3. Mag

    bod43 Guest

    On 30 Mar, 12:44, Mag <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am search a solution for limit the bandwitch of
    > one cisco Fe port on a Catalyst 3550 :
    >
    > I have a server connected at 100 Mbits on this port.
    > I want limit the bandwitch at 10 Mbits In and 10 Mbits Out
    >
    > if the server use > 10 Mbits => use a queue and when the queue
    > are full, drop the packet.

    Er......
    Set the port to 10M. Perfect.

    You could consider the 3550 QoS however the
    tools provided are crude and the facilities somewhat
    opaque. It's like assembly language programming.
    bod43, Mar 30, 2009
  4. Mag

    Mag Guest

    bod43 a écrit :
    > On 30 Mar, 12:44, Mag <> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am search a solution for limit the bandwitch of
    >> one cisco Fe port on a Catalyst 3550 :
    >>
    >> I have a server connected at 100 Mbits on this port.
    >> I want limit the bandwitch at 10 Mbits In and 10 Mbits Out
    >>
    >> if the server use > 10 Mbits => use a queue and when the queue
    >> are full, drop the packet.

    > Er......
    > Set the port to 10M. Perfect.
    >
    > You could consider the 3550 QoS however the
    > tools provided are crude and the facilities somewhat
    > opaque. It's like assembly language programming.

    no because the port on the remote equipement don't support 10Mbits.
    it's a 100/1000 port
    Mag, Mar 30, 2009
  5. Mag

    Stephen Guest

    On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:23:17 +0200, Mag <> wrote:

    >bod43 a écrit :
    >> On 30 Mar, 12:44, Mag <> wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I am search a solution for limit the bandwitch of
    >>> one cisco Fe port on a Catalyst 3550 :
    >>>
    >>> I have a server connected at 100 Mbits on this port.
    >>> I want limit the bandwitch at 10 Mbits In and 10 Mbits Out
    >>>
    >>> if the server use > 10 Mbits => use a queue and when the queue
    >>> are full, drop the packet.

    >> Er......
    >> Set the port to 10M. Perfect.
    >>
    >> You could consider the 3550 QoS however the
    >> tools provided are crude and the facilities somewhat
    >> opaque. It's like assembly language programming.
    >>

    >no because the port on the remote equipement don't support 10Mbits.
    >it's a 100/1000 port

    possible theoretical way to do it (as in i have done something like
    this in a lab on a Cat 6509 running IOS, but not a 3550).

    set up a new vlan, 2 ports, no trunking

    1 [port connects to your server.
    1 port loops back to the original port on the 3550.
    force the 2 looped ports to 10 / full
    disable CDP on the looped ports so the switch doesnt have hysterics.

    result is 100M port on device talks to switch, switch traffic goes
    out, via a 10M limit, and back in again.

    But really be much easier on something like a 3560 with the port
    limiting......
    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    Stephen, Mar 30, 2009
  6. Mag

    bod43 Guest

    On 30 Mar, 21:19, Stephen <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:23:17 +0200, Mag <> wrote:
    > >bod43 a écrit :

    > >> Er......
    > >> Set the port to 10M. Perfect.

    > >> You could consider the 3550 QoS however the
    > >> tools provided are crude and the facilities somewhat
    > >> opaque. It's like assembly language programming.

    > >no because the port on the remote equipement don't support 10Mbits.
    > >it's a 100/1000 port

    > possible theoretical way to do it (as in i have done something like
    > this in a lab on a Cat 6509 running IOS, but not a 3550).
    >
    > set up a new vlan, 2 ports, no trunking
    >
    > 1 [port connects to your server.
    > 1 port loops back to the original port on the 3550.
    > force the 2 looped ports to 10 / full
    > disable CDP on the looped ports so the switch doesnt have hysterics.
    >
    > result is 100M port on device talks to switch, switch traffic goes
    > out, via a 10M limit, and back in again.

    Yes, *yes*, YES. This is the easy solution.

    > But really be much easier on something like a 3560 with the port
    > limiting......

    You can alternativley spend days 'n' days trying to figure
    out the QoS only perhaps to find out that you can't quite
    manage exactly what you are trying to do.

    You can very likely sort out the output but the input is
    likely to be more challenging or impossible.
    bod43, Mar 31, 2009
  7. Try ingress/egress policing:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...oducts_tech_note09186a00800feff5.shtml#sample

    fugettaboutit, Mar 31, 2009