    files, ZIP and RAR, named for whatever search you did, which contain a
    small setup.exe. They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?

    The 'ignore adult content' filter doesn't filter out 'nude'.
    GraB, Dec 7, 2005

  2. GraB

    Fishb8 Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >I have been using eMule Plus to search for anything to do with the
    > Roswell series, jpegs, archives and movie clips. There is a large
    > amount of impressive quality stuff out there but I find that there
    > seems to be sources for only for 1 in 5 search results, then you have
    > a long wait for it to even begin to download, at a measly 2Kb/s, but
    > with patience you get there. I find eMule a resource hog of the top
    > order but after reading a thread elsewhere I thought I would try
    > Limewire. That seems to be very light on resources.
    >
    > But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
    > downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
    > size for different searches). It opened Opera, not my default
    > Firefox, and went to a dating site but the file itself was pure porn,
    > nothing to do with Roswell. Then there are a lot of small archive
    > files, ZIP and RAR, named for whatever search you did, which contain a
    > small setup.exe. They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?
    >
    > The 'ignore adult content' filter doesn't filter out 'nude'.

    A couple of weeks back I downloaded a movie for my nephew, took a while but
    eventually got there. I transcoded it and burnt to DVD ok. He was coming
    over with family for tea and I thought I'd just pop it in the DVD player to
    surprise him. Well, it was me that got the surprise when I got an Italian
    porn movie, instead. His dad took it instead! Yes, there's a lot of surprise
    material out there.
    sorry don't know what the .exe file is but your suspicion is justified.
    Roy
    Fishb8, Dec 7, 2005

  3. GraB

    Dave Taylor Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?

    AVG is hit and miss sometimes.
    Try this web site:
    http://virusscan.jotti.org/

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 7, 2005
  4. GraB wrote:
    > But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
    > downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
    > size for different searches).

    Yes, evil computers on the network return files with the same or similar
    names to what you are searching for (They're generated on the fly). You
    should be able to spot these easily: There's usually 20 slightly
    different files about the same size (Far smaller than expected) with the
    same name.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 7, 2005
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 07:46:23 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
    <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
    >> downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
    >> size for different searches).

    >Yes, evil computers on the network return files with the same or similar
    >names to what you are searching for (They're generated on the fly). You
    >should be able to spot these easily: There's usually 20 slightly
    >different files about the same size (Far smaller than expected) with the
    >same name.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    I suspected they were generated on the fly. Talk about 'fly in the
    ointment'!
    GraB, Dec 7, 2005
  6. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 06:14:23 +1300, "Fishb8" <>
    wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >>I have been using eMule Plus to search for anything to do with the
    >> Roswell series, jpegs, archives and movie clips. There is a large
    >> amount of impressive quality stuff out there but I find that there
    >> seems to be sources for only for 1 in 5 search results, then you have
    >> a long wait for it to even begin to download, at a measly 2Kb/s, but
    >> with patience you get there. I find eMule a resource hog of the top
    >> order but after reading a thread elsewhere I thought I would try
    >> Limewire. That seems to be very light on resources.
    >>
    >> But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
    >> downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
    >> size for different searches). It opened Opera, not my default
    >> Firefox, and went to a dating site but the file itself was pure porn,
    >> nothing to do with Roswell. Then there are a lot of small archive
    >> files, ZIP and RAR, named for whatever search you did, which contain a
    >> small setup.exe. They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?
    >>
    >> The 'ignore adult content' filter doesn't filter out 'nude'.

    >A couple of weeks back I downloaded a movie for my nephew, took a while but
    >eventually got there. I transcoded it and burnt to DVD ok. He was coming
    >over with family for tea and I thought I'd just pop it in the DVD player to
    >surprise him. Well, it was me that got the surprise when I got an Italian
    >porn movie, instead. His dad took it instead! Yes, there's a lot of surprise
    >material out there.
    >sorry don't know what the .exe file is but your suspicion is justified.
    >Roy

    A good friend of mine downloaded an Elvis duet, went to watch it with
    her young daughter, but found it was another sort of duet.
    GraB, Dec 7, 2005
  7. GraB wrote:
    > A good friend of mine downloaded an Elvis duet, went to watch it with
    > her young daughter, but found it was another sort of duet.

    I downloaded one movie, got Moulin Rouge instead... big disappointment!
    "Bearshare" offers "Bitzi tickets": Looks up the file's hash into a big
    file database where people can write comments about the file's contents,
    quality, format, etc.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 7, 2005
  8. GraB

    steve Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > I have been using eMule Plus to search for anything to do with the
    > Roswell series, jpegs, archives and movie clips. There is a large
    > amount of impressive quality stuff out there but I find that there
    > seems to be sources for only for 1 in 5 search results, then you have
    > a long wait for it to even begin to download, at a measly 2Kb/s, but
    > with patience you get there. I find eMule a resource hog of the top
    > order but after reading a thread elsewhere I thought I would try
    > Limewire. That seems to be very light on resources.
    >
    > But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
    > downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
    > size for different searches). It opened Opera, not my default
    > Firefox, and went to a dating site but the file itself was pure porn,
    > nothing to do with Roswell. Then there are a lot of small archive
    > files, ZIP and RAR, named for whatever search you did, which contain a
    > small setup.exe. They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?
    >
    > The 'ignore adult content' filter doesn't filter out 'nude'.

    You see the same stuff on Linux's gtk-gnutella (uses the same gnutella-based
    network as Limewire and eMule and Bearshare.....etc...).

    But at least it can't run itself when you download it.

    There are obviously people out there who capture the incoming searches and
    then respond positively to ALL of them.....not matter what your search
    argument might have been.

    The gnutella network is open source and there is nothing to stop anyone
    re-writing the client to do such things.

    But the what they can't do is make you download it. :)

    I've only rarely downloaded such bogus content because usually the size of
    the file is nothing remotely like what I am expecting it to be.
    steve, Dec 7, 2005
  9. GraB

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >I have been using eMule Plus to search for anything to do with the
    > Roswell series, jpegs, archives and movie clips. There is a large
    > amount of impressive quality stuff out there but I find that there
    > seems to be sources for only for 1 in 5 search results, then you have
    > a long wait for it to even begin to download, at a measly 2Kb/s, but
    > with patience you get there. I find eMule a resource hog of the top
    > order but after reading a thread elsewhere I thought I would try
    > Limewire. That seems to be very light on resources.
    >
    > But search results! Talk about porn riddled bogus results! I
    > downloaded a MOV which was 1,476Kb (there are lots of them at that
    > size for different searches). It opened Opera, not my default
    > Firefox, and went to a dating site but the file itself was pure porn,
    > nothing to do with Roswell. Then there are a lot of small archive
    > files, ZIP and RAR, named for whatever search you did, which contain a
    > small setup.exe. They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?
    >
    > The 'ignore adult content' filter doesn't filter out 'nude'.

    I use bit torrent to download series of programes, im a big fan of JAG,
    NCIS, CSI etc etc and using limewire, emule, just doesnt work for me,
    http://www.mininova.org/

    great place for movies, and tv shows, i suggest using bitlord or similar
    programe to download it, and as yet have yet to download a dodgy movie.

    I suggest the exe programes are trojan dialers prehaps

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Dec 7, 2005
  10. GraB

    steve Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:

    > I use bit torrent to download series of programes, im a big fan of JAG,
    > NCIS, CSI etc etc and using limewire, emule, just doesnt work for me,
    > http://www.mininova.org/

    Agreed.

    Stuff is on bittorrent first....then filters through to other P2P networks
    from folks who got it on bittorrent.
    steve, Dec 7, 2005
  11. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On 8 Dec 2005 07:41:45 +1300, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >GraB <> wrote in
    >
    >> They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?
    >>

    >AVG is hit and miss sometimes.
    >Try this web site:
    >http://virusscan.jotti.org/

    Tried that. Turns out to be a trojan downloader. I scanned it with
    fully updated AVG, Avast and AntiVir without any of them identifying
    it. Lowers your confidence in AV programmes.
    GraB, Dec 8, 2005
  12. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On 8 Dec 2005 07:41:45 +1300, Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> GraB <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> They scan OK in AVG, but what are they?
    >>>

    >> AVG is hit and miss sometimes.
    >> Try this web site:
    >> http://virusscan.jotti.org/

    > Tried that. Turns out to be a trojan downloader. I scanned it with
    > fully updated AVG, Avast and AntiVir without any of them identifying
    > it. Lowers your confidence in AV programmes.

    Why? It's not a trojan, it's a *trojan downloader*. As in, you have to click
    an exe file for it to download the trojan.

    If you expect antivirus programs to identify trojan downloaders then it
    would flag IE, OE, virtually anything that connects to the net or email and
    newsgroups. It might even flag your floppy drive.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 8, 2005
  13. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > I use bit torrent to download series of programes, im a big fan of
    > JAG, NCIS, CSI etc etc and using limewire, emule, just doesnt work
    > for me, http://www.mininova.org/
    >
    > great place for movies, and tv shows, i suggest using bitlord or
    > similar programe to download it, and as yet have yet to download a
    > dodgy movie.

    Heh! NCIS, House, Lost and Medium here. I could have given you a DVD-R with
    all the latest NCIS proggys on it earlier, (up to series 3, episode 10) or
    you could have given them to me. No point two people downloading the same
    thing. :)

    Not bothered with CSI, JAG etc, one acronym is enough for me. :)

    The stories may be predictable and lacking innovation on NCIS but the
    characters are great, the only reason I watch it.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 8, 2005
  14. GraB

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 18:48:58 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >Krazy Bob wrote:
    >> I use bit torrent to download series of programes, im a big fan of
    >> JAG, NCIS, CSI etc etc and using limewire, emule, just doesnt work
    >> for me, http://www.mininova.org/
    >>
    >> great place for movies, and tv shows, i suggest using bitlord or
    >> similar programe to download it, and as yet have yet to download a
    >> dodgy movie.

    >Heh! NCIS, House, Lost and Medium here. I could have given you a DVD-R with
    >all the latest NCIS proggys on it earlier, (up to series 3, episode 10) or
    >you could have given them to me. No point two people downloading the same
    >thing. :)
    >
    >Not bothered with CSI, JAG etc, one acronym is enough for me. :)
    >
    >The stories may be predictable and lacking innovation on NCIS but the
    >characters are great, the only reason I watch it.

    I am a major House fan, when I get upgraded to 3g might hunt him out
    on Limewire.

    You are just jealous that the tiny voices aren't talking to you!
    Squirrel, Dec 8, 2005
  15. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Squirrel wrote:

    > I am a major House fan, when I get upgraded to 3g might hunt him out
    > on Limewire.

    House Rocks huh? Gotta be the best show in ages. They're up to episode 8 of
    series 2 in the US now. Unfortunately they didn't show an episode this week,
    the next one airs in the US on Dec 13th.

    Got an address and a DVD drive? I can burn what I have (Episodes 1 to 8 of
    series 2 so far) to DVD-R and send 'em to you if you want, call it a Xmas
    present. :) misfitnz gmail addy will get me. They're in XviD format, I can
    put the K-lite codec package on the DVD too if you don't already have the
    XviD codec, it'll integrate into WMP fine.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 8, 2005
  16. GraB

    David Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Squirrel wrote:
    >

    >>I am a major House fan, when I get upgraded to 3g might hunt him out
    >>on Limewire.

    > House Rocks huh? Gotta be the best show in ages. They're up to episode 8 of
    > series 2 in the US now. Unfortunately they didn't show an episode this week,
    > the next one airs in the US on Dec 13th.
    >
    > Got an address and a DVD drive? I can burn what I have (Episodes 1 to 8 of
    > series 2 so far) to DVD-R and send 'em to you if you want, call it a Xmas
    > present. :) misfitnz gmail addy will get me. They're in XviD format, I can
    > put the K-lite codec package on the DVD too if you don't already have the
    > XviD codec, it'll integrate into WMP fine.

    Oh no, not the K-lite codec package. Stay well away from it. Get Xvid
    from http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml . Use the properties window in
    media player 6.4 (start->run->"mplayer2") to make sure your video is
    actually being decoded by Xvid for the best quality. Many other codecs
    will try to decode it, including divx, and nero.
    David, Dec 8, 2005
  17. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 18:43:29 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> On 8 Dec 2005 07:41:45 +1300, Dave Taylor
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> GraB <> wrote in

    >>> AVG is hit and miss sometimes.
    >>> Try this web site:
    >>> http://virusscan.jotti.org/

    >> Tried that. Turns out to be a trojan downloader. I scanned it with
    >> fully updated AVG, Avast and AntiVir without any of them identifying
    >> it. Lowers your confidence in AV programmes.

    >Why? It's not a trojan, it's a *trojan downloader*. As in, you have to click
    >an exe file for it to download the trojan.
    >
    >If you expect antivirus programs to identify trojan downloaders then it
    >would flag IE, OE, virtually anything that connects to the net or email and
    >newsgroups. It might even flag your floppy drive.

    If four AVs on the above link can identify it for what it is, then the
    rest should too, given that it is a naughty proggie.
    GraB, Dec 8, 2005
  18. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Squirrel wrote:
    >>

    >>> I am a major House fan, when I get upgraded to 3g might hunt him out
    >>> on Limewire.

    >> House Rocks huh? Gotta be the best show in ages. They're up to
    >> episode 8 of series 2 in the US now. Unfortunately they didn't show
    >> an episode this week, the next one airs in the US on Dec 13th.
    >>
    >> Got an address and a DVD drive? I can burn what I have (Episodes 1
    >> to 8 of series 2 so far) to DVD-R and send 'em to you if you want,
    >> call it a Xmas present. :) misfitnz gmail addy will get me. They're
    >> in XviD format, I can put the K-lite codec package on the DVD too if
    >> you don't already have the XviD codec, it'll integrate into WMP fine.

    > Oh no, not the K-lite codec package. Stay well away from it. Get Xvid
    > from http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml . Use the properties window in
    > media player 6.4 (start->run->"mplayer2") to make sure your video is
    > actually being decoded by Xvid for the best quality. Many other codecs
    > will try to decode it, including divx, and nero.

    Oh, ok. I got it as I downloaded an Xvid a while back and WMP wouldn't play
    it. I didn't actually know it was an XviD, it just ended in .avi. I was told
    to dowbload and install the K-Lite package and ever since it's been good.
    HDTV rips and DVD rips in XviD format look great. I doubt anything else is
    trying to decode it as it wouldn't work before.

    Is it that bad?

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 8, 2005
  19. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David wrote:
    > Oh no, not the K-lite codec package. Stay well away from it. Get Xvid
    > from http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml . Use the properties window in
    > media player 6.4 (start->run->"mplayer2") to make sure your video is
    > actually being decoded by Xvid for the best quality. Many other codecs
    > will try to decode it, including divx, and nero.

    Oh, how can I encode in Xvid? I'm using Windows (XP) and have Dr DivX that I
    normally use. However, XviD seems superior and I wouldn't mind using it.

    Thanks,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 8, 2005
  20. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:25:43 +1300, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    >David wrote:
    >> Oh no, not the K-lite codec package. Stay well away from it. Get Xvid
    >> from http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml . Use the properties window in
    >> media player 6.4 (start->run->"mplayer2") to make sure your video is
    >> actually being decoded by Xvid for the best quality. Many other codecs
    >> will try to decode it, including divx, and nero.

    >Oh, how can I encode in Xvid? I'm using Windows (XP) and have Dr DivX that I
    >normally use. However, XviD seems superior and I wouldn't mind using it.
    >
    >Thanks,

    You need to get AutoGordianKnot. It allows encoding at higher
    bitrates than Dr DivX but in an experiment I did where I set it so
    that both the DivX and Xvid files were the same size, they were
    indistinguishable from each other. The price of higher quality seems
    to be larger file size. Unless I am not doing it right.

    I have a HDTV rip at 1280x720 at 3707Kbps that is superb, as good as
    DVD anyway. What is the source that they broadcast? Do they have
    HDTV video already?
    GraB, Dec 8, 2005