    His computer and mine are connected by a router to cable internet.

    Ken

    , Dec 6, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I guess the title says it all.
    >
    > Number one son (actually, only son) wants to use limewire. Is it
    > safe? Do we risk invasion, infection, etc.

    Yes. Nearly every time I see someone's computer that's used for PTP file
    sharing there's a shitload of trojans, viruses, spyware and the like on
    it. It's a very common thing to download viruses this way and if the
    virus is one hour newer than your last antivirus update, yer screwed.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 6, 2005

  3. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>I guess the title says it all.
    |>
    |>Number one son (actually, only son) wants to use limewire. Is it
    |>safe? Do we risk invasion, infection, etc.
    |>
    |>His computer and mine are connected by a router to cable internet.

    Just stay away from kazaa.

    Security concerns of Limewire are that you must share a directory on
    your hard drive, it's just the nature of P2P. Just make sure you only
    share a directory and not your entire hard drive :)

    Also some of the files you get thru Limewire are not what they seem,
    you need to be sure to check them carefully before using them.

    You should run Spybots teatimer
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html
    It's an option of the program that watches for registry changes and
    alerts you.

    Better than teatime is http://www.ewido.net/en/

    --
    Hubble DVD's - Free downloads
    http://www.spacetelescope.org/videos/archive/topic/dvd//

    Trax, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Top Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 04:17:42 +0000, bambam wrote:

    > I guess the title says it all.
    >
    > Number one son (actually, only son) wants to use limewire. Is it
    > safe? Do we risk invasion, infection, etc.
    >
    > His computer and mine are connected by a router to cable internet.
    >
    > Ken

    In my house use of limewire would cause immediate removal of number one
    son status. Ask my number three son!

    Top

    Top, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Nomad Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    > |>I guess the title says it all.
    > |>
    > |>Number one son (actually, only son) wants to use limewire. Is it
    > |>safe? Do we risk invasion, infection, etc.
    > |>
    > |>His computer and mine are connected by a router to cable internet.
    >
    > Just stay away from kazaa.

    Why not kazaa?

    Nomad, Dec 7, 2005
  6. Trax Guest

    It's bundled with spyware http://www.imilly.com/kazaa.htm

    --
    http://zonezero.com/magazine/essays/diegotime/time.html

    Trax, Dec 7, 2005
  7. Guest

    Re: Limewire -- safe or ..... the outcome.

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 04:17:42 GMT, wrote:

    >I guess the title says it all.
    >
    >Number one son (actually, only son) wants to use limewire. Is it
    >safe? Do we risk invasion, infection, etc.

    I showed number one son your replies. he uninstalled Limewire
    without argument or complaint.

    Thank you for this and for other help you've given.

    Ken

    , Dec 7, 2005