Lilo

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mark Robinson, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. Phstpok wrote:
    > Installed a new hard drive. Didn't want to do a clone as I like to
    > regualarly re-install anyway. (gets rid of a lot of rubbish)
    >
    > I Installed Mandriva on a partition first, then installed XP.
    >
    > When I boot, I get no option on operating systems. How do I get lilo
    > back so I get a choice?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob

    tryed typing "lilo" ?

    Mark Robinson, Mar 25, 2006

  2. Phstpok wrote:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >> Phstpok wrote:
    >>> Installed a new hard drive. Didn't want to do a clone as I like to
    >>> regualarly re-install anyway. (gets rid of a lot of rubbish)
    >>> I Installed Mandriva on a partition first, then installed XP.
    >>> When I boot, I get no option on operating systems. How do I get lilo
    >>> back so I get a choice?

    >> tryed typing "lilo" ?

    > If I got a command prompt I would have tried that. Standard xp zap
    > install. S'pose I should try f8. Still d/loading 600mb of Mandriva
    > updates. :-{

    Ah yes ... you pretty much need to boot from a cd and mount the existing root
    partition at the appropriate prompt. Then try and install the boot loader ...
    have fun.

    Grub is worth a play. It's nice to be able to change things during the boot
    process.

    Mark Robinson, Mar 25, 2006

  3. Mark Robinson

    Peter Guest

    Phstpok wrote:
    > I Installed Mandriva on a partition first, then installed XP.
    >
    > When I boot, I get no option on operating systems. How do I get lilo
    > back so I get a choice?

    Boot off Mandriva CD1, at the prompt type rescue
    This gives a tool to reinstate your lilo on MBR.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 25, 2006
  4. Mark Robinson

    Guest

    Next time install windows first, then Mandriva. Mandriva will find
    your XP installation, and create the bootloader with the option to boot
    both. Windows XP takes the view that it is, and should be, the only OS
    on your system, and clobbers the MBR regardless of what is there.

    , Mar 25, 2006
  5. Mark Robinson

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 03:21:23 +1200, Mark Robinson wrote:

    > Phstpok wrote:
    >> Mark Robinson wrote:
    >>> tryed typing "lilo" ?

    >> If I got a command prompt I would have tried that. Standard xp zap
    >> install. S'pose I should try f8. Still d/loading 600mb of Mandriva
    >> updates. :-{

    > Ah yes ... you pretty much need to boot from a cd and mount the existing root
    > partition at the appropriate prompt. Then try and install the boot loader ...
    > have fun.
    >
    > Grub is worth a play. It's nice to be able to change things during the boot
    > process.

    Second the comment about grub. Far better than lilo. Could make a few
    comments about Mandriva, too - personally I'd go for (k)ubuntu at the
    moment.

    Steve

    Steve, Mar 25, 2006
  6. Mark Robinson

    Enkidu Guest

    Phstpok wrote:
    > Installed a new hard drive. Didn't want to do a clone as I like to
    > regualarly re-install anyway. (gets rid of a lot of rubbish)
    >
    > I Installed Mandriva on a partition first, then installed XP.
    >
    > When I boot, I get no option on operating systems. How do I get lilo
    > back so I get a choice?

    You need to reinstall Lilo, and that means booting from a Linux system,
    somehow. Does the Mandriva CD have a resue option? I'm surprised if it
    doesn't. Basically, you need set up to boot the Mandriva from a Linux
    boot sector copied to Windows or rewrite the MBR without screwing up the
    XP.

    Have a careful look at this:

    http://www.tprthai.net/bootmgr.htm

    Basically what you have to do is one of the following:

    1) Boot from a Linux 'live' CD or rescue disk.
    2) Write the lilo boot sector *to the Mandriva boot partition*, NOT to
    the MBR.
    3) Copy the lilo boot sector from the Mandriva boot partition to a
    floppy or pen drive.
    4) Boot XP, copy the boot sector to the C: drive root partition
    5) Alter 'boot.ini' to include a line for booting Linux.

    OR

    1) Boot to Linux using a 'live' CD or rescue disk.
    2) Write the lilo boot sector to the Madriva boot partition.
    3) Boot Mandriva normally (at this stage you will lose access to the XP)
    4) Alter lilo to load XP as an option (called 'chain loading' I think.

    It's a lot easier to install XP first and then Madriva. A third option
    would be to reinstall Mandriva after installing Windows XP. Also, grub
    is a lot easier to use than Lilo (IMO).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 25, 2006
  7. Mark Robinson

    Peter Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > You need to reinstall Lilo, and that means booting from a Linux system,
    > somehow. Does the Mandriva CD have a resue option?

    Yes - Mandriva CD1 has a rescue option the main purpose of which is to
    reinstate the lilo boot loader.

    It shouldn't be necessary to copy files or change MBR settings, just boot
    off CD1 and type rescue at the prompt.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 26, 2006
  8. Mark Robinson

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >>You need to reinstall Lilo, and that means booting from a Linux system,
    >>somehow. Does the Mandriva CD have a resue option?

    > Yes - Mandriva CD1 has a rescue option the main purpose of which is to
    > reinstate the lilo boot loader.
    >
    > It shouldn't be necessary to copy files or change MBR settings, just boot
    > off CD1 and type rescue at the prompt.

    He still needs to fix it so that he can boot XP. That's the whole point
    of the exercise!

    Incidentally, if the Mandriva setup is similar to the Debian one, typing
    'rescue' at the boot prompt will just give a minimal system with a
    command prompt. One of the things that you can so then is reload lilo.
    On Debian at least it doesn't just fix up the MBR. Mandriva may be
    different.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 26, 2006
  9. Mark Robinson

    Peter Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > He still needs to fix it so that he can boot XP. That's the whole point
    > of the exercise!

    Quite - I just thought that would be easier to do this edit from Linux.

    > Incidentally, if the Mandriva setup is similar to the Debian one, typing
    > 'rescue' at the boot prompt will just give a minimal system with a
    > command prompt. One of the things that you can so then is reload lilo.
    > On Debian at least it doesn't just fix up the MBR. Mandriva may be
    > different.

    The Mandriva rescue is mainly just to fix up MBR, but it does provide a
    console, so you could mount the Linux partition, chroot, edit lilo.conf and
    rerun lilo. This might be a more difficult option for beginners, though.

    BTW, for the OP, when you (as root) edit /etc/lilo.conf, it will need to
    look something like this ...
    --------------------
    default="linux"
    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    keytable=/boot/us.klt
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    message=/boot/message
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="linux"
    root=/dev/hda6
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="resume=/dev/hda7 splash=silent"
    vga=788
    other=/dev/hda1
    label="windows"
    table=/dev/hda
    ------------------

    Some of your details might be different. This example has Windows on hda1,
    Linux on hda6 and Linux swap on hda7.
    Remember to run lilo after editing lilo.conf.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 26, 2006
  10. Mark Robinson

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 11:10:13 -0800, dmbkiwi wrote:

    > Next time install windows first, then Mandriva. Mandriva will find
    > your XP installation, and create the bootloader with the option to boot
    > both. Windows XP takes the view that it is, and should be, the only OS
    > on your system, and clobbers the MBR regardless of what is there.

    Keep this in mind gentle people. For it is true.

    Gordon, Mar 26, 2006
  11. Mark Robinson

    RJ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Next time install windows first, then Mandriva. Mandriva will find
    > your XP installation, and create the bootloader with the option to boot
    > both. Windows XP takes the view that it is, and should be, the only OS
    > on your system, and clobbers the MBR regardless of what is there.

    False, Windows boot loader can boot multiple versions of Windows no prob

    RJ, Mar 26, 2006
  12. Mark Robinson

    s.t.e.v.e. Guest

    Phstpok wrote:

    > Installed a new hard drive. Didn't want to do a clone as I like to
    > regualarly re-install anyway. (gets rid of a lot of rubbish)
    >
    > I Installed Mandriva on a partition first, then installed XP.
    >
    > When I boot, I get no option on operating systems. How do I get lilo
    > back so I get a choice?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob

    Check the Mandriva web site for advice. This is a common problem as Windows
    XP is a complete pig about ignoring other operating systems.

    Almost any Linux distro or flavour of BSD will handle multiple OSes as a
    matter of course....and allow you to boot whatever you want to boot on any
    occasion.

    Xandros Linux allows you to boot from the Install CD and "recover" an
    installed system (after you install XP)......and it will re-confugre the
    boot loader to allow you to boot linux or WinXP.

    Maybe Mandriva has a similar recovery capability.

    s.t.e.v.e., Mar 26, 2006
  13. Mark Robinson

    David Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Next time install windows first, then Mandriva. Mandriva will find
    >> your XP installation, and create the bootloader with the option to boot
    >> both. Windows XP takes the view that it is, and should be, the only OS
    >> on your system, and clobbers the MBR regardless of what is there.

    > False, Windows boot loader can boot multiple versions of Windows no prob

    It can boot linux too. Mine does quite happily. You just need to setup
    the boot.ini file properly, it even has a gui to do it for you somewhere
    in system settings (IMHO much easier than messing around with obscure
    ..conf files)

    Phstpok, Mar 26, 2006
  15. Mark Robinson

    Phstpok Guest

    Phstpok, Mar 26, 2006
  16. Mark Robinson

    Phstpok Guest

    Thanks all.

    Booted with Mandriva cd1
    rescue - re-installed boot loader
    booted up Mandriva
    edited /etc/lilo.conf
    ran lilo
    got an error that windows had no entry in the partition table

    booted ultimate boot cd
    used one of the mbr tools to boot windows

    now just need to repair the windows entry in the partition table

    still more fun to go, but I'll get there

    Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction.

    Rob

    Phstpok, Mar 27, 2006