LILO or other boot-loader on CDR?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Sep 20, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    My HDDs are full. As soon as I can rob a bank or something I'll be putting a
    new HDD in my machine. I currently triple-boot between 98SE, XP Pro and
    Mandrake 9.1.

    If I get a new HDD I'd like to keep it just for XP. Maybe install 98 on a
    small drive (C:) and use the new one as D: with XP on it. I'm thinking of
    then having my current drive just for Mandrake but want to have the option
    to change my mind later if I feel like it. Or maybe I'll decide I no longer
    need 98.

    OK, confusing scenario, I'll get to the point.

    Is it possible to have multiple drives, each with their own OS in a PC, not
    'linked' or referenced to each other in any way and have the BIOS set up to
    boot from CD and have a boot-loader on the CD? I have a burner that isn't
    used often so it wouldn't be a problem to leave the bootable loader CD in
    it.

    It would be cool to be able to have the option of booting from C:, D:, F;
    etc. done from a CD.

    Thoughts?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 20, 2003

  2. "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > My HDDs are full. As soon as I can rob a bank or something I'll be putting

    > new HDD in my machine. I currently triple-boot between 98SE, XP Pro and
    > Mandrake 9.1.
    >
    > If I get a new HDD I'd like to keep it just for XP. Maybe install 98 on a
    > small drive (C:) and use the new one as D: with XP on it. I'm thinking of
    > then having my current drive just for Mandrake but want to have the option
    > to change my mind later if I feel like it. Or maybe I'll decide I no

    longer
    > need 98.
    >
    > OK, confusing scenario, I'll get to the point.
    >
    > Is it possible to have multiple drives, each with their own OS in a PC,

    not
    > 'linked' or referenced to each other in any way and have the BIOS set up

    > boot from CD and have a boot-loader on the CD? I have a burner that isn't
    > used often so it wouldn't be a problem to leave the bootable loader CD in
    > it.
    >
    > It would be cool to be able to have the option of booting from C:, D:, F;
    > etc. done from a CD.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    My $0.02 (and someone elses)
    You can do it with GRUB on a floppy, so you can probably do it with the same
    image on a CD.
    You can probably make a GRUB floppy bootdisk with your Mandrake 9.1.

    Heres one persons version of transferring a floppy image to a bootable CD

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200206/msg02442.html

    Olson Johnson, Sep 20, 2003

  3. "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

    > "Olson Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > > My HDDs are full. As soon as I can rob a bank or something I'll be

    > putting
    > > > new HDD in my machine. I currently triple-boot between 98SE, XP Pro

    and
    > > > Mandrake 9.1.
    > > >
    > > > If I get a new HDD I'd like to keep it just for XP. Maybe install 98

    on
    > > > small drive (C:) and use the new one as D: with XP on it. I'm thinking

    > of
    > > > then having my current drive just for Mandrake but want to have the

    > option
    > > > to change my mind later if I feel like it. Or maybe I'll decide I no

    > > longer
    > > > need 98.
    > > >
    > > > OK, confusing scenario, I'll get to the point.
    > > >
    > > > Is it possible to have multiple drives, each with their own OS in a

    PC,
    > > not
    > > > 'linked' or referenced to each other in any way and have the BIOS set

    up
    > > > boot from CD and have a boot-loader on the CD? I have a burner that

    > isn't
    > > > used often so it wouldn't be a problem to leave the bootable loader CD

    > in
    > > > it.
    > > >
    > > > It would be cool to be able to have the option of booting from C:, D:,

    > F;
    > > > etc. done from a CD.
    > > >
    > > > Thoughts?
    > > > --
    > > > ~misfit~

    > > My $0.02 (and someone elses)
    > > You can do it with GRUB on a floppy, so you can probably do it with the

    > same
    > > image on a CD.
    > > You can probably make a GRUB floppy bootdisk with your Mandrake 9.1.
    > >
    > > Heres one persons version of transferring a floppy image to a bootable

    CD

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200206/msg02442.html

    > Thanks, I've had a look and bookmarked the page. I'm not that up on Linux
    > though, my Mandrake install is just for playing with and I haven't done

    much
    > of that. A Windows solution would suit me more if one is available. :)

    You might be able to use Winimage to transfer the floppy bootdisk image to
    CDR.

    Olson Johnson, Sep 20, 2003
  4. ~misfit~

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:49:36 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:

    >My HDDs are full. As soon as I can rob a bank or something I'll be putting a
    >new HDD in my machine. I currently triple-boot between 98SE, XP Pro and
    >Mandrake 9.1.
    >
    >If I get a new HDD I'd like to keep it just for XP. Maybe install 98 on a
    >small drive (C:) and use the new one as D: with XP on it. I'm thinking of
    >then having my current drive just for Mandrake but want to have the option
    >to change my mind later if I feel like it. Or maybe I'll decide I no longer
    >need 98.
    >
    >OK, confusing scenario, I'll get to the point.
    >
    >Is it possible to have multiple drives, each with their own OS in a PC, not
    >'linked' or referenced to each other in any way and have the BIOS set up to
    >boot from CD and have a boot-loader on the CD? I have a burner that isn't
    >used often so it wouldn't be a problem to leave the bootable loader CD in
    >it.
    >
    >It would be cool to be able to have the option of booting from C:, D:, F;
    >etc. done from a CD.
    >
    >Thoughts?

    You might want to have a look at the GAG bootloader
    http://gag.sourceforge.net/

    It can run off a floppy so you can experiment with setting it up without
    putting it on your hard drive. It's quite easy to use too.

    I believe it's possible to burn a bootable floppy image to a CD with Nero and
    various other CD writing software.

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Sep 20, 2003
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:49:36 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:
    >
    > >My HDDs are full. As soon as I can rob a bank or something I'll be

    putting a
    > >new HDD in my machine. I currently triple-boot between 98SE, XP Pro and
    > >Mandrake 9.1.
    > >
    > >If I get a new HDD I'd like to keep it just for XP. Maybe install 98 on a
    > >small drive (C:) and use the new one as D: with XP on it. I'm thinking of
    > >then having my current drive just for Mandrake but want to have the

    option
    > >to change my mind later if I feel like it. Or maybe I'll decide I no

    longer
    > >need 98.
    > >
    > >OK, confusing scenario, I'll get to the point.
    > >
    > >Is it possible to have multiple drives, each with their own OS in a PC,

    not
    > >'linked' or referenced to each other in any way and have the BIOS set up

    > >boot from CD and have a boot-loader on the CD? I have a burner that isn't
    > >used often so it wouldn't be a problem to leave the bootable loader CD in
    > >it.
    > >
    > >It would be cool to be able to have the option of booting from C:, D:, F;
    > >etc. done from a CD.
    > >
    > >Thoughts?

    > You might want to have a look at the GAG bootloader
    > http://gag.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > It can run off a floppy so you can experiment with setting it up without
    > putting it on your hard drive. It's quite easy to use too.
    >
    > I believe it's possible to burn a bootable floppy image to a CD with Nero

    and
    > various other CD writing software.

    Thanks, I've downloaded it and, if the need arises, I'll play with it.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2003
  6. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:55:16 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Thanks, I've downloaded it and, if the need arises, I'll play with it.

    And has not the need arisen? Or just did you just get into your troll
    suit? :)

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.

    Gordon, Sep 21, 2003
  7. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:49:36 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > My HDDs are full. As soon as I can rob a bank or something I'll be putting a
    > new HDD in my machine. I currently triple-boot between 98SE, XP Pro and
    > Mandrake 9.1.

    Why are you hanging onto win 98SE, given you have XP pro?

    Gordon, Sep 21, 2003
  8. ~misfit~

    Stuart Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:49:36 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > My HDDs are full. As soon as I can rob a bank or something I'll be

    putting a
    > > new HDD in my machine. I currently triple-boot between 98SE, XP Pro and
    > > Mandrake 9.1.

    > Why are you hanging onto win 98SE, given you have XP pro?

    I have 98 on my computer because Pod Racer refuses to play on XP. The screen
    goes all white as it's counting down to the start.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Sep 21, 2003
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:49:36 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > My HDDs are full. As soon as I can rob a bank or something I'll be

    putting a
    > > new HDD in my machine. I currently triple-boot between 98SE, XP Pro and
    > > Mandrake 9.1.

    > Why are you hanging onto win 98SE, given you have XP pro?

    Like Stuart said, some games I have refuse to play on XP (Don't talk to me
    about 9x compatability mode!). Also, my old SCSI printer won't work under
    XP.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2003
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:55:16 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks, I've downloaded it and, if the need arises, I'll play with it.

    > And has not the need arisen? Or just did you just get into your troll
    > suit? :)

    Me? Troll? Shucks, five years plus on usenet and that's the first time I've
    been called that. No, as I stated in my original post, I'm hoping to find
    the money somewhere to get a bigger HDD and *then* I'll be looking at my
    options re: bootable CD.

    I have two HDDs in this machine, a 16Gb and a 20Gb, five partitions and
    bugger-all free space.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2003
  11. ~misfit~

    cowboyz Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:49:36 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >
    > > > My HDDs are full. As soon as I can rob a bank or something I'll be

    > putting a
    > > > new HDD in my machine. I currently triple-boot between 98SE, XP Pro

    and
    > > > Mandrake 9.1.

    > > Why are you hanging onto win 98SE, given you have XP pro?

    > I have 98 on my computer because Pod Racer refuses to play on XP. The

    screen
    > goes all white as it's counting down to the start.
    >
    > Stuart

    huh. dunno what up with that. I was just playing pod racer before coming
    online using XP.
    \

    cowboyz, Sep 21, 2003
  12. ~misfit~

    Allistar Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:49:36 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> My HDDs are full. As soon as I can rob a bank or something I'll be
    >> putting a new HDD in my machine. I currently triple-boot between 98SE, XP
    >> Pro and Mandrake 9.1.

    > Why are you hanging onto win 98SE, given you have XP pro?
    >
    > --
    > Gordon

    Funny, I was going ask "why are you hanging on to XP when you have
    Mandrake".

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 22, 2003
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:49:36 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >
    > >> My HDDs are full. As soon as I can rob a bank or something I'll be
    > >> putting a new HDD in my machine. I currently triple-boot between 98SE,

    XP
    > >> Pro and Mandrake 9.1.

    > > Why are you hanging onto win 98SE, given you have XP pro?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gordon

    > Funny, I was going ask "why are you hanging on to XP when you have
    > Mandrake".

    Because I'm a bit of a gamer and my games that I have invested quite a few
    dollars in don't run on Linux.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2003
  14. ~misfit~

    Allistar Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    > 98SE,
    >> > XP

    >> > Because I'm a bit of a gamer and my games that I have invested quite a

    > few
    >> > dollars in don't run on Linux.
    >> > --
    >> > ~misfit~

    >> Fair enough. I used to be a gamer as well, playing Quake 1 and Tribes

    > until
    >> all hours of the morning. I started to work out how much time I spent
    >> playing games per week and multiplied that by the hourly rate I get as a
    >> contractor. The result: I no longer play games. I don't miss it that
    >> much.

    > I'm on a disability allowance and am seriously compromised in what I can
    > physically do. TV sucks in general so it's usenet and gaming for me. I
    > wish I could use my time more profitably.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I do all of my work sitting in front of a computer, and as long as you can
    do that for extended periods of time you can trade your gaming in for
    productive work just as I did. (Actually, I wish my work was more physical
    so I didn't have to eat carrots and rice crackers all day from preventing
    the kgs from increasing).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 24, 2003
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    > > "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    be

    > > 98SE,

    > > few
    > >>
    > >> Fair enough. I used to be a gamer as well, playing Quake 1 and Tribes

    > > until
    > >> all hours of the morning. I started to work out how much time I spent
    > >> playing games per week and multiplied that by the hourly rate I get as

    > >> contractor. The result: I no longer play games. I don't miss it that
    > >> much.

    > > I'm on a disability allowance and am seriously compromised in what I can
    > > physically do. TV sucks in general so it's usenet and gaming for me. I
    > > wish I could use my time more profitably.
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~

    > I do all of my work sitting in front of a computer, and as long as you can
    > do that for extended periods of time you can trade your gaming in for
    > productive work just as I did. (Actually, I wish my work was more physical
    > so I didn't have to eat carrots and rice crackers all day from preventing
    > the kgs from increasing).

    I can sit in front of a computer for an hour or two at a time without
    needing a walk around or a 10 minute lie-down. If I could work from home it
    would be great but driving kills me. It usually takes a an hour to get over
    a 10 minute drive. :-( I even have to time my trips to the supermarket to
    be within an hour or so of taking my painkillers.

    LOL, bugger the carrots and rice crackers.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 25, 2003