    I could not help but pick up some info from the conventioneers.

    It'll still be a number of years...
    but I guess we will have to get used to it.

    philo, Sep 15, 2007

  2. philo wrote:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/default.mspx
    >

    > XPS is going to be the publishing industry standard.
    > I just got home from Chicago during a Publishing Industry convention.
    >
    > Though my trip to Chicago had nothing to do with the convention...
    > I could not help but pick up some info from the conventioneers.
    >

    > It'll still be a number of years...
    > but I guess we will have to get used to it.

    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 15, 2007

  3. Rôgêr wrote:

    > philo wrote:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/default.mspx
    >>

    >> XPS is going to be the publishing industry standard.
    >> I just got home from Chicago during a Publishing Industry convention.
    >>
    >> Though my trip to Chicago had nothing to do with the convention...
    >> I could not help but pick up some info from the conventioneers.
    >>

    >> It'll still be a number of years...
    >> but I guess we will have to get used to it.

    > I reject your reality and substitute my own.

    Well Fista sure isn't *my* future, & I dumped M$ a long time ago.

    --
    Operating systems:
    FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0

    William Poaster, Sep 15, 2007
  4. philo

    ceed Guest

    philo wrote:

    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/default.mspx
    >

    > XPS is going to be the publishing industry standard.
    > I just got home from Chicago during a Publishing Industry convention.
    >
    > Though my trip to Chicago had nothing to do with the convention...
    > I could not help but pick up some info from the conventioneers.
    >

    > It'll still be a number of years...
    > but I guess we will have to get used to it.

    I use whatever OS and software I like. Right now I actually like Vista,
    but last year it was Ubuntu Linux, next year it could be "The Next Big
    Thing" that not even Microsoft saw coming. Everything, good or evil,
    eventually comes to an end, even Microsoft. No big deal really.

    --
    //ceed

    ceed, Sep 15, 2007
  5. philo

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 02:26:08 -0500, philo wrote:

    >http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/default.mspx
    >

    >XPS is going to be the publishing industry standard.
    >I just got home from Chicago during a Publishing Industry convention.

    <snip>

    >It'll still be a number of years...
    >but I guess we will have to get used to it.

    Like, not.

    Or better , perhaps not yet.

    Have reused the hardisks Vista Ult. x32 and x64 were installed on.

    Me

    why?, Sep 15, 2007
  6. philo

    philo Guest

    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 02:26:08 -0500, philo wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/default.mspx
    > >

    > >XPS is going to be the publishing industry standard.
    > >I just got home from Chicago during a Publishing Industry convention.

    > <snip>
    >
    > >It'll still be a number of years...
    > >but I guess we will have to get used to it.

    > Like, not.
    >
    > Or better , perhaps not yet.
    >
    > Have reused the hardisks Vista Ult. x32 and x64 were installed on.
    >
    > Me

    I did give Vista a try for three months...
    I finally dumped it and installed PcLinuxOS.

    Though I will not go back to Vista...
    it looks like it's here to stay. (At least until Microsoft comes out with
    their next one)

    philo, Sep 15, 2007
  7. philo

    Guest

    William Poaster <wp@freebsd-6.2-mc2.eu> wrote:

    > Well Fista sure isn't *my* future, & I dumped M$ a long time ago.

    Everyone hates the newest version of Windows until it's been around for a while then everyone
    uses it.
    --
    Everyone needs support - irc.dal.net #lifesupport
    http://home.comcast.net/~lifesupport123/

    , Sep 15, 2007
  8. philo

    VanguardLH Guest

    "philo" wrote in message
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/default.mspx
    >

    > XPS is going to be the publishing industry standard.
    > I just got home from Chicago during a Publishing Industry
    > convention.
    >
    > Though my trip to Chicago had nothing to do with the convention...
    > I could not help but pick up some info from the conventioneers.
    >
    > It'll still be a number of years...
    > but I guess we will have to get used to it.

    So, philo, you cannot differentiate an operating system from a
    documentation format standard (well, a proposed standard, so far)?
    Will be interesting to see if Microsoft is more giving with their
    proposed open doc standard than Adobe has ever proven to be (e.g.,
    letting anyone write a program to support creating and modifying XPS
    docs, not just open them for viewing). Adobe proved that it really
    didn't want its PDF open standard to be open at all when a potent
    competitor that could impact their revenue wanted to support *writing*
    in that format.

    XPS is not tied to Vista.

    http://www.ecma-international.org/memento/TC46.htm
    http://www.betanews.com/article/ECMA_to_Begin_Drafting_XPS_as_Alternative_Standard_to_PDF/1183144526

    At the site that philo mentions, click on the link to "Specification
    and License Downloads". There you'll find the spec can be downloaded
    from:

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/xpsspecdwn.mspx
    (which is an XPS document so you need their viewer)

    So, philo, indicate where in its spec where it says this open document
    standard will ONLY be supported by Windows Vista. You won't even find
    "vista" when searching through the XPS specification. Vista having
    built-in support doesn't mean that is the only OS that can support it.
    There is already an "XPS Essentials Pack" download to "view, generate
    and index XPS Documents" under 32- and 64-bit Windows XP, 2003, and
    Vista (http://preview.tinyurl.com/2kso5p). "With the XPS Essentials
    Pack you can quickly begin reading and generating XPS Documents. It
    contains XPS Viewer EP to read XPS Documents and the Microsoft XPS
    Document Writer to output files to the XPS Document format." I have
    confirmed this in that an XPS Viewer gets installed and the XPS
    document writer is a printer driver (like PDFCreator is a printer
    driver to write PDF docs). Although I haven't bothered with paying
    more for upgrades from my existing MS Office XP install, I believe
    Office 2007 lets you save in XPS format, too, and that Office 2007
    will run under Windows XP and not just under Vista.

    Whether the doc standard gets supported under other operating systems
    depends on whether the developers involved in them or authors of 3rd
    party software decide to write their own tools that are supported
    under those other operating systems. The XPS spec is open to anyone
    that wants to write software to support it and under any OS.

    VanguardLH, Sep 15, 2007
  9. philo

    VanguardLH Guest

    "philo" wrote in message

    > I did give Vista a try for three months...
    > I finally dumped it and installed PcLinuxOS.

    So you are using PCLinuxOS (previously Mandriva) and yet you are
    posting using Outlook Express?

    VanguardLH, Sep 15, 2007
  10. philo

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 08:29:09 -0500, wrote:

    >William Poaster <wp@freebsd-6.2-mc2.eu> wrote:
    >>
    >> Well Fista sure isn't *my* future, & I dumped M$ a long time ago.
    >>

    >Everyone hates the newest version of Windows until it's been around for a while then everyone
    >uses it.

    William hasn't used a M$ product in many years, so your "everyone" premise falls
    flat right there. And I can *guarantee* you that *I* will never run Vista. I
    don't need or have to.

    --
    A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
    store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my

    Mara, Sep 15, 2007
  11. philo

    Guest

    Mara <> wrote:
    > William hasn't used a M$ product in many years, so your "everyone" premise falls
    > flat right there. And I can *guarantee* you that *I* will never run Vista. I
    > don't need or have to.

    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.
    --
    Everyone needs support - Freenode #GLOBAL-Link
    http://home.comcast.net/~lifesupport123/

    , Sep 15, 2007
  12. philo

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:30:57 -0500, wrote:

    >Mara <> wrote:
    >> William hasn't used a M$ product in many years, so your "everyone" premise falls
    >> flat right there. And I can *guarantee* you that *I* will never run Vista. I
    >> don't need or have to.

    >Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

    If you're trying to be funny, forget it - this trolling you're doing has set a
    new record for Boring.

    *yawn* zzzzZZZZZzzzzz

    Mara, Sep 15, 2007
  13. philo

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:49:06 -0500, philo wrote:

    >> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 02:26:08 -0500, philo wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/default.mspx
    >> >

    >> >XPS is going to be the publishing industry standard.
    >> >I just got home from Chicago during a Publishing Industry convention.

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> >It'll still be a number of years...
    >> >but I guess we will have to get used to it.

    >> Like, not.
    >>
    >> Or better , perhaps not yet.
    >>
    >> Have reused the hardisks Vista Ult. x32 and x64 were installed on.
    >>
    >> Me

    >I did give Vista a try for three months...
    >I finally dumped it and installed PcLinuxOS.

    Just downloading Bluewhite64 Linux Live DVD to have a go.

    >Though I will not go back to Vista...
    >it looks like it's here to stay. (At least until Microsoft comes out with
    >their next one)

    MS sent me a Server 2008 Beta 3 :)

    Me

    why?, Sep 15, 2007
  14. philo

    Guest

    Mara <> wrote:

    > If you're trying to be funny, forget it - this trolling you're doing has set a
    > new record for Boring.
    >
    > *yawn* zzzzZZZZZzzzzz

    .:\:/:.
    .:\:\:/:/:.
    :.:\:\:/:/:.:
    :=.' - - '.=:
    '=(\ 9 9 /)='
    ( (_) )
    /`-vvv-'\
    / \
    / /|,,,,,|\ \
    /_// /^\ \\_\
    WW( ( ) )WW
    __\,,\ /,,/__
    (______Y______)

  15. wrote:

    > William Poaster <wp@freebsd-6.2-mc2.eu> wrote:
    >> Well Fista sure isn't *my* future, & I dumped M$ a long time ago.
    >>

    > Everyone hates the newest version of Windows until it's been around
    > for a while then everyone uses it.

    To paraphrase Bob Uecker:
    "Your estimation is juuuuuuust a bit high."

    --
    -bts
    -quite happy with Win2K on the Windows box

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 15, 2007
  16. philo

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:49:06 -0500, philo wrote:
    >

    >>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> <snip>

    >>> Like, not.
    >>>
    >>> Or better , perhaps not yet.
    >>>
    >>> Have reused the hardisks Vista Ult. x32 and x64 were installed on.
    >>>
    >>> Me

    >>I did give Vista a try for three months...
    >>I finally dumped it and installed PcLinuxOS.

    > Just downloading Bluewhite64 Linux Live DVD to have a go.
    >
    >>Though I will not go back to Vista...
    >>it looks like it's here to stay. (At least until Microsoft comes out with
    >>their next one)

    > MS sent me a Server 2008 Beta 3 :)

    Do you think Vista is going anywhere? ;-)

    The network support personnel at the contract I am working at doing some
    ..Net Web development won't go to Vista as of yet, but they know they are
    going to be forced to go, according to them.

    I am going to put it to you like this. XP Pro cannot match Vista Business,
    Enterprise or Ultimate. XP Pro can't do it and I have used XP Pro and Vista
    Ultimate in my development work.

    BTW, Win 2k8 Severe O/S is not workstation O/S (Vista), just like Win 2k3
    Server O/S is not workstation O/S (XP Pro). <g>

    Mr. Arnold, Sep 15, 2007
  17. philo

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:45:05 -0400, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. >
    wrote:

    >> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:49:06 -0500, philo wrote:
    >>

    >>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>>I did give Vista a try for three months...
    >>>I finally dumped it and installed PcLinuxOS.

    <snip>

    >> MS sent me a Server 2008 Beta 3 :)
    >>

    >Do you think Vista is going anywhere? ;-)

    I don't know, there is a lot of it deployed, even some at work are
    asking for it now.

    I could see our company (on site outsourced IT) switching to it, central
    management just love to have such tight control. We are looking at the
    deployment tools locally.

    For me I just don't really think it's fixed / updated what was needed.
    It's too media rich , it' not what I want. Even some recent articles in
    the TCP/IP v4/v6 issues and media control will throttle other parts to
    keep playback going isn't for me.

    It won't bother me all that much as my setup as work is NT4 Wstn /
    Server, 2000 and XP desktops as well as a Linux box.

    >The network support personnel at the contract I am working at doing some
    >.Net Web development won't go to Vista as of yet, but they know they are
    >going to be forced to go, according to them.

    I could maybe see us (as a company) putting the customer on before us.
    However that would be 4 or 5 years as we just did a big H/W XP & large
    AD rollout. It's not the time to change :)

    >I am going to put it to you like this. XP Pro cannot match Vista Business,
    >Enterprise or Ultimate. XP Pro can't do it and I have used XP Pro and Vista
    >Ultimate in my development work.

    Match what and do what? Don't do much development anymore.

    >BTW, Win 2k8 Severe O/S is not workstation O/S (Vista), just like Win 2k3

    Looking for another x64 box just for something like that.

    >Server O/S is not workstation O/S (XP Pro). <g>

    Yes, well got that. There is a sometimes 2000 / 2003 server running
    here, the ocassional Linux and Solaris :)

    Me

    why?, Sep 15, 2007
  18. philo

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    <snipped>

    >>I am going to put it to you like this. XP Pro cannot match Vista Business,
    >>Enterprise or Ultimate. XP Pro can't do it and I have used XP Pro and
    >>Vista
    >>Ultimate in my development work.

    > Match what and do what? Don't do much development anymore.

    Here you go.

    <http://www.iis.net/articles/view.aspx/IIS7/Extending-IIS7/Getting-Started/How-to-Take-Advantage-of-the-IIS7-Integrated-Pipel>

    <http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/04/20/Cool-new-IIS7-Features-and-APIs.aspx>

    <http://www.aspnetpro.com/opinion/2006/08/asp200608jg_o/asp200608jg_o.asp>

    <http://www.code-magazine.com/Article.aspx?quickid=060103>

    There are other features in Vista from a developer's standpoint that no
    prior version of the NT based workstation can match to Vista. But I am not
    going to go into that.

    And on top of that, all of this is free to take advantage of Vista from
    Visual Studio 2005 Express from a development standpoint, including SQL
    Sever 2005 Express. Now, VS 2008 is coming out.

    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/beginner/learningpath/>

    People (basically Linux and M$ home users) talking about Vista, they really
    don't have a *clue*. ;-)

    And on top of that, M$ with Win 2k3 server, IIS and .Net are walking down
    Linux and Apache, as Linux has nothing to match it and keep pace.

    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/08/06/august_2007_web_server_survey.html

    Mr. Arnold, Sep 15, 2007
  19. philo

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Mr. Arnold, Sep 15, 2007
  20. philo

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Everyone hates the newest version of Windows until it's been around for a
    > while then everyone
    > uses it.

    You don't make any sense.
    People who hate it and also know there are better alternatives don't
    use it.
    Lots of people don't use it.

    I'm mystified why so many of you dislike what Windows and what
    Microsoft keeps doing but buy it and use it anyway.

    Mitch, Sep 15, 2007