    Thanks.

    --
    John
    John Smith, Oct 22, 2006

  2. John Smith

    Paul Rubin Guest

    John Smith <> writes:
    > The two criteria are: 1) the camera+lenses must weigh as little as possible,
    > and 2) the total cost should not be more than $2500.

    Are you sure you want a DSLR? Maybe you want one or two compact
    digicams and a monocular adapter or digiscoping rig.
    Paul Rubin, Oct 22, 2006

  3. John Smith

    simon Guest

    I can confirm that the Pentax *istDL is nice and compact / light.
    I can comfortably fit the Pentax body with Tamron 28-200mm lens into the
    pocket of a fleece jacket.

    --
    www.srsteel.co.uk
    http://www.srsteel.co.uk/Panorama

    simon, Oct 22, 2006
  4. simon wrote:
    > I can confirm that the Pentax *istDL is nice and compact / light.
    > I can comfortably fit the Pentax body with Tamron 28-200mm lens into
    > the pocket of a fleece jacket.
    >

    > "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    >> John Smith <> writes:
    >>> The two criteria are: 1) the camera+lenses must weigh as little as
    >>> possible,
    >>> and 2) the total cost should not be more than $2500.

    >> Are you sure you want a DSLR? Maybe you want one or two compact
    >> digicams and a monocular adapter or digiscoping rig.

    But why is your right shoulder so droopy? Is this a congenital deformity?
    Dennis Pogson, Oct 22, 2006
  5. John Smith

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <ehffsd$s5t$2surf.net>, simon says...
    > I can confirm that the Pentax *istDL is nice and compact / light.
    > I can comfortably fit the Pentax body with Tamron 28-200mm lens into the
    > pocket of a fleece jacket.

    But does it have a 500-750mm lens (which the OP is asking for)? To my
    knowledge there is no compact 500-750mm (even 35mm equivalent) DLSR lens
    currently on the market.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Oct 24, 2006
  6. John Smith

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, John Smith
    says...
    > I'm looking for suggestions for a camera body and three lenses: a zoom lens
    > for general work, a wide-angle lens for landscapes, and a long telephoto
    > (500-750mm equivalent) for distant landmarks and the occasional moose
    > browsing on the other side of the lake.
    >
    > The two criteria are: 1) the camera+lenses must weigh as little as possible,
    > and 2) the total cost should not be more than $2500.

    The new Olympus E400 is the smallest DSLR on the market, but the problem
    is the long telephoto lens 500-750mm, which is not compact.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Oct 24, 2006
  7. John Smith

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Alfred Molon <> writes:
    > But does it have a 500-750mm lens (which the OP is asking for)? To my
    > knowledge there is no compact 500-750mm (even 35mm equivalent) DLSR lens
    > currently on the market.

    There have been some quite tiny 300mm mirror lenses for 35mm. They
    were probably crap though.
    Paul Rubin, Oct 24, 2006
  8. John Smith

    Greg \_\ Guest

    In article <>,
    Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    > In article <ehffsd$s5t$2surf.net>, simon says...
    > > I can confirm that the Pentax *istDL is nice and compact / light.
    > > I can comfortably fit the Pentax body with Tamron 28-200mm lens into the
    > > pocket of a fleece jacket.

    > But does it have a 500-750mm lens (which the OP is asking for)? To my
    > knowledge there is no compact 500-750mm (even 35mm equivalent) DLSR lens
    > currently on the market.

    Save your money, you'll never have the lens ready to use unless you camp
    for days in one spot waiting for animal you think will appear. Even then
    it probably won't pay for itself.
    --
    Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
    and never looking back.

    www.gregblankphoto.com
    Greg \_\, Oct 24, 2006
  9. John Smith

    cjcampbell Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > I'm looking for suggestions for a camera body and three lenses: a zoom lens
    > for general work, a wide-angle lens for landscapes, and a long telephoto
    > (500-750mm equivalent) for distant landmarks and the occasional moose
    > browsing on the other side of the lake.
    >
    > The two criteria are: 1) the camera+lenses must weigh as little as possible,
    > and 2) the total cost should not be more than $2500.

    Um, right. Well, the sticking point is the big zoom, of course.
    Probably the closest you will get will be the Tamron 200-500mm ( ~300mm
    - 750mm equivalent) f/5.6 zoom. It goes for about $850. It weighs 2.7
    lbs. That leaves you with less than $1700 for body and two other
    lenses. You could, for about that much, get a Nikon D50 and a Sigma
    18-200mm (~27mm-300mm equivalent) zoom. The D50 goes for about $550 and
    the Sigma for $380. The Sigma will do everything from wide-angle to
    telephoto. That would be close to being the cheapest way to go.

    Nikons tend to run an ounce or two more than the equivalent Canon in
    this price range, but if you are willing to lug around a 3 lb. lens,
    what is an ounce or two one way or the other?

    But, since these are generic lenses, you can probably get a Canon 30D
    or even a Nikon D80 and still be within your budget.
    cjcampbell, Oct 24, 2006
  10. In article <>,
    cjcampbell <> wrote:

    > John Smith wrote:
    > > I'm looking for suggestions for a camera body and three lenses: a zoom lens
    > > for general work, a wide-angle lens for landscapes, and a long telephoto
    > > (500-750mm equivalent) for distant landmarks and the occasional moose
    > > browsing on the other side of the lake.
    > >
    > > The two criteria are: 1) the camera+lenses must weigh as little as possible,
    > > and 2) the total cost should not be more than $2500.

    > Um, right. Well, the sticking point is the big zoom, of course.
    > Probably the closest you will get will be the Tamron 200-500mm ( ~300mm
    > - 750mm equivalent) f/5.6 zoom. It goes for about $850. It weighs 2.7
    > lbs. That leaves you with less than $1700 for body and two other
    > lenses. You could, for about that much, get a Nikon D50 and a Sigma
    > 18-200mm (~27mm-300mm equivalent) zoom. The D50 goes for about $550 and
    > the Sigma for $380. The Sigma will do everything from wide-angle to
    > telephoto. That would be close to being the cheapest way to go.
    >
    > Nikons tend to run an ounce or two more than the equivalent Canon in
    > this price range, but if you are willing to lug around a 3 lb. lens,
    > what is an ounce or two one way or the other?
    >
    > But, since these are generic lenses, you can probably get a Canon 30D
    > or even a Nikon D80 and still be within your budget.

    With that long lens, save a hundred bucks or so for a good
    monopod/walking stick combo. Something like a Leki SIERRA AS staff
    with a Bogen or Manfroto quick release head that you can put on it when
    you need it to be a monopod.
    Steve Cutchen, Oct 24, 2006