Lightscribe drive not recognized?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Jan 19, 2009.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    I have a SH-S162L drive. Haven't really used it up until recently.
    Today I finally bought some lightscribe discs, and went to burn one,
    and I'm told there's no lightscribe drive on my system. I downloaded
    the WIN Inquiry. Model Name says TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S162L. Version
    says TS06, OEM Code says 0. I'm unable to update the firmware, it says
    incompatible.

    Any suggestions? This is a Windows XP laptop, using a IDE to USB cable
    for the DVD Drive.

    Yes, I've asked Samsung support and called.

    I called, 1-800-Samsung. Selected the appropriate options. Spoke to a
    lady who had no idea what you do with a DVD burner ("What do you do
    with a DVD burner?" nor what Lightscribe was ("Your ... burner has
    light what?)". Was told I need to call a east coast number. Number is
    either busy, rings forever with no voicemail, or goes to a generic
    computer "No one is available. Leave a message." recording. I
    resubmitted my form via Samsung. Here's the conversation thread. Call
    me a glutton for punishment....

    Me:
    I sent my query into this form about an hour ago since it's easier to
    deal with than phone. The reply came back that I needed to call 1800
    samsung. I called the number, pressed the appropriate options, spoke
    to someone who had no idea what a DVD drive is nor what you do with
    them, and then told me I need to call 201-935-0670, which I called and
    it goes to a generic voicemail that says no one is available and to
    leave a message.

    Here's my original message. I would like a solution on this.
    <SNIP>

    Them:
    Samsung does apologize for your experience with this product. Due to
    the nature of this issue, Samsung recommends that you call in to
    1-800-Samsung to speak with our customer care for other options that
    might be available to you.

    Me:
    Once again, please read my message: I HAVE called Support.
    (Resend of message.)

    Them:
    Due to the nature of this issue, Samsung recommends that you call in
    to 1-800-Samsung to speak with our customer care for other options
    that might be available to you.

    I've once more asked if anyone there speaks English to please
    assist... Not holding my breath.
    Evan Platt, Jan 19, 2009

  2. Evan Platt excoriated:

    > I have a SH-S162L drive. Haven't really used it up until recently.
    > Today I finally bought some lightscribe discs, and went to burn one,
    > and I'm told there's no lightscribe drive on my system. I downloaded
    > the WIN Inquiry. Model Name says TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S162L. Version
    > says TS06, OEM Code says 0. I'm unable to update the firmware, it says
    > incompatible.
    >
    > Any suggestions? This is a Windows XP laptop, using a IDE to USB cable
    > for the DVD Drive.
    >
    > Yes, I've asked Samsung support and called.
    >
    > I called, 1-800-Samsung. Selected the appropriate options. Spoke to a
    > lady who had no idea what you do with a DVD burner ("What do you do
    > with a DVD burner?" nor what Lightscribe was ("Your ... burner has
    > light what?)". Was told I need to call a east coast number. Number is
    > either busy, rings forever with no voicemail, or goes to a generic
    > computer "No one is available. Leave a message." recording. I
    > resubmitted my form via Samsung. Here's the conversation thread. Call
    > me a glutton for punishment....
    >
    > Me:
    > I sent my query into this form about an hour ago since it's easier to
    > deal with than phone. The reply came back that I needed to call 1800
    > samsung. I called the number, pressed the appropriate options, spoke
    > to someone who had no idea what a DVD drive is nor what you do with
    > them, and then told me I need to call 201-935-0670, which I called and
    > it goes to a generic voicemail that says no one is available and to
    > leave a message.
    >
    > Here's my original message. I would like a solution on this.
    > <SNIP>
    >
    > Them:
    > Samsung does apologize for your experience with this product. Due to
    > the nature of this issue, Samsung recommends that you call in to
    > 1-800-Samsung to speak with our customer care for other options that
    > might be available to you.
    >
    > Me:
    > Once again, please read my message: I HAVE called Support.
    > (Resend of message.)
    >
    > Them:
    > Due to the nature of this issue, Samsung recommends that you call in
    > to 1-800-Samsung to speak with our customer care for other options
    > that might be available to you.
    >
    > I've once more asked if anyone there speaks English to please
    > assist... Not holding my breath.

    Hang on, let me get 'chucktard' for you.
    2-4-Diethyl-1-Pentylphenyl-Anisic-Acid, Jan 19, 2009

  3. Evan Platt

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:07:27 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >I have a SH-S162L drive. Haven't really used it up until recently.
    >Today I finally bought some lightscribe discs, and went to burn one,
    >and I'm told there's no lightscribe drive on my system. I downloaded
    >the WIN Inquiry. Model Name says TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S162L. Version
    >says TS06, OEM Code says 0. I'm unable to update the firmware, it says
    >incompatible.

    What does the Event Viewer say?

    <snip>

    --
    Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and torn,
    you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
    Mara, Jan 19, 2009
  4. Evan Platt

    walter Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:07:27 -0800, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a SH-S162L drive. Haven't really used it up until recently.

    "Haven't really used it"?

    Meaning you've never tried to use it before?

    >> Today I finally bought some lightscribe discs, and went to burn one,
    >> and I'm told there's no lightscribe drive on my system. I downloaded
    >> the WIN Inquiry. Model Name says TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S162L. Version
    >> says TS06, OEM Code says 0. I'm unable to update the firmware, it
    >> says incompatible.

    > What does the Event Viewer say?

    It says he forgot to flip the disk over.

    walter, Jan 19, 2009
  5. Evan Platt

    Peeassha Guest

    "2-4-Diethyl-1-Pentylphenyl-Anisic-Acid" <> wrote in message
    > Evan Platt excoriated:
    >
    >> I have a SH-S162L drive. Haven't really used it up until recently.
    >> Today I finally bought some lightscribe discs, and went to burn one,
    >> and I'm told there's no lightscribe drive on my system. I downloaded
    >> the WIN Inquiry. Model Name says TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S162L. Version
    >> says TS06, OEM Code says 0. I'm unable to update the firmware, it says
    >> incompatible.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? This is a Windows XP laptop, using a IDE to USB cable
    >> for the DVD Drive.
    >>
    >> Yes, I've asked Samsung support and called.
    >>
    >> I called, 1-800-Samsung. Selected the appropriate options. Spoke to a
    >> lady who had no idea what you do with a DVD burner ("What do you do
    >> with a DVD burner?" nor what Lightscribe was ("Your ... burner has
    >> light what?)". Was told I need to call a east coast number. Number is
    >> either busy, rings forever with no voicemail, or goes to a generic
    >> computer "No one is available. Leave a message." recording. I
    >> resubmitted my form via Samsung. Here's the conversation thread. Call
    >> me a glutton for punishment....
    >>
    >> Me:
    >> I sent my query into this form about an hour ago since it's easier to
    >> deal with than phone. The reply came back that I needed to call 1800
    >> samsung. I called the number, pressed the appropriate options, spoke
    >> to someone who had no idea what a DVD drive is nor what you do with
    >> them, and then told me I need to call 201-935-0670, which I called and
    >> it goes to a generic voicemail that says no one is available and to
    >> leave a message.
    >>
    >> Here's my original message. I would like a solution on this.
    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >> Them:
    >> Samsung does apologize for your experience with this product. Due to
    >> the nature of this issue, Samsung recommends that you call in to
    >> 1-800-Samsung to speak with our customer care for other options that
    >> might be available to you.
    >>
    >> Me:
    >> Once again, please read my message: I HAVE called Support.
    >> (Resend of message.)
    >>
    >> Them:
    >> Due to the nature of this issue, Samsung recommends that you call in
    >> to 1-800-Samsung to speak with our customer care for other options
    >> that might be available to you.
    >>
    >> I've once more asked if anyone there speaks English to please
    >> assist... Not holding my breath.

    > Hang on, let me get 'chucktard' for you.

    Chuck is busy shoveling snow and has been shoveling snow all day long. Give
    him to tomorrow or today the 19th.
    Peeassha, Jan 19, 2009
  6. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:54:11 -0500, "walter" <>
    wrote:

    >"Haven't really used it"?
    >
    >Meaning you've never tried to use it before?

    Used it for burning, reading, etc. Never used the lightscribe feature
    before.

    >It says he forgot to flip the disk over.

    Why would a firmware update have anything to do with the 'disc' over?

    First off, firmware updates in general tell you to remove media.

    Second, running the LightScribe Application says "No Lightscribe
    Drives Found".

    Nothing to do with media - which by the way, IS inserted upside down
    to write the label.
    Evan Platt, Jan 19, 2009
  7. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 19:07:48 -0600, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >What does the Event Viewer say?
    >
    ><snip>

    Nothing. No entries from when I attempt to update the firmware or when
    I run the Lightscribe App and it says no lightscribe drives found.
    Evan Platt, Jan 19, 2009
  8. Evan Platt

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Peeassha <> wrote in message

    > "2-4-Diethyl-1-Pentylphenyl-Anisic-Acid" <> wrote in
    > message news:gl0h4p$6m5$...
    >> Evan Platt excoriated:
    >>
    >>> I have a SH-S162L drive. Haven't really used it up until recently.
    >>> Today I finally bought some lightscribe discs, and went to burn one,
    >>> and I'm told there's no lightscribe drive on my system. I downloaded
    >>> the WIN Inquiry. Model Name says TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S162L. Version
    >>> says TS06, OEM Code says 0. I'm unable to update the firmware, it
    >>> says incompatible.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions? This is a Windows XP laptop, using a IDE to USB
    >>> cable for the DVD Drive.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, I've asked Samsung support and called.
    >>>
    >>> I called, 1-800-Samsung. Selected the appropriate options. Spoke to
    >>> a lady who had no idea what you do with a DVD burner ("What do you
    >>> do with a DVD burner?" nor what Lightscribe was ("Your ... burner
    >>> has light what?)". Was told I need to call a east coast number.
    >>> Number is either busy, rings forever with no voicemail, or goes to
    >>> a generic computer "No one is available. Leave a message."
    >>> recording. I resubmitted my form via Samsung. Here's the
    >>> conversation thread. Call me a glutton for punishment....
    >>>
    >>> Me:
    >>> I sent my query into this form about an hour ago since it's easier
    >>> to deal with than phone. The reply came back that I needed to call
    >>> 1800 samsung. I called the number, pressed the appropriate options,
    >>> spoke to someone who had no idea what a DVD drive is nor what you
    >>> do with them, and then told me I need to call 201-935-0670, which I
    >>> called and it goes to a generic voicemail that says no one is
    >>> available and to leave a message.
    >>>
    >>> Here's my original message. I would like a solution on this.
    >>> <SNIP>
    >>>
    >>> Them:
    >>> Samsung does apologize for your experience with this product. Due to
    >>> the nature of this issue, Samsung recommends that you call in to
    >>> 1-800-Samsung to speak with our customer care for other options that
    >>> might be available to you.
    >>>
    >>> Me:
    >>> Once again, please read my message: I HAVE called Support.
    >>> (Resend of message.)
    >>>
    >>> Them:
    >>> Due to the nature of this issue, Samsung recommends that you call in
    >>> to 1-800-Samsung to speak with our customer care for other options
    >>> that might be available to you.
    >>>
    >>> I've once more asked if anyone there speaks English to please
    >>> assist... Not holding my breath.

    >> Hang on, let me get 'chucktard' for you.

    > Chuck is busy shoveling snow and has been shoveling snow all day
    > long. Give him to tomorrow or today the 19th.

    I didn't know he was clearing the way for the inaugural procession - Isn't
    that a bit dodgy given he'll lead them up the garden path?

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in froups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Jan 19, 2009
  9. Evan Platt

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:35:05 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 19:07:48 -0600, Mara
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>What does the Event Viewer say?
    >>
    >><snip>

    >Nothing. No entries from when I attempt to update the firmware or when
    >I run the Lightscribe App and it says no lightscribe drives found.

    It could be the cable. I understand sometimes they can be fussy. Perhaps try a
    different usb enclosure?

    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
    Mara, Jan 19, 2009
  10. Evan Platt

    Leviathan Guest

    Does it have the Lightscribe logo on the front of the drawer/slide?

    Leviathan, Jan 19, 2009
  11. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    Evan Platt, Jan 20, 2009
  12. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 06:42:53 -0600, Mara
    <> wrote:

    >It could be the cable. I understand sometimes they can be fussy. Perhaps try a
    >different usb enclosure?

    Well, it's odd I can do everything (burn, read, etc) BUT write
    lightscribe labels.. I don't have another cable. It's just a USB to
    IDE cable, no enclosure.
    Evan Platt, Jan 20, 2009
  13. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:01:03 -0000, "indifferent"
    <> wrote:

    >You are connecting an IDE burner via a USB adapter to a laptop.

    Yes....

    >That in itself is one seriously demanding task for a laptop!

    Really? Done it with hard drives, no problem. Burned DVD's, no
    problem.

    >(It's usually wiser to connect an external USB burner to a laptop
    >not an IDE device via USB)

    Well, if I have to get one, I guess I will. Would rather use what I
    have.

    >You burner is a TSST, being Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology.
    >Go to their support forums. You cannot update the firmware as it
    >is not recognised via USB, it's an IDE device the wizard is looking for!
    >Your USB-IDE adapter is unknown, and that is where your problem
    >probably lies. Go to their support link.

    YEahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Samsung suggested I contact Micorosft.

    " Our unit is a plug and play unit so all you have to do is connect
    it and go. No setting up is done or needed for your PC to recgonize
    our uit. There is no troubleshooting we can do to the unit that will
    correct the problem. Other then making sure your windows and the
    drivers are up to date I would call the manufacture of the OS to see
    if they have any ideas. You can try our unit in another PC if possible
    to see if the same problem happens. If you would like you can also
    call 1-800-Samsung."
    Evan Platt, Jan 20, 2009
  14. Evan Platt

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 16:30:10 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 06:42:53 -0600, Mara
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>It could be the cable. I understand sometimes they can be fussy. Perhaps try a
    >>different usb enclosure?

    >Well, it's odd I can do everything (burn, read, etc) BUT write
    >lightscribe labels.. I don't have another cable. It's just a USB to
    >IDE cable, no enclosure.

    That's weird. Could it be the software itself, or some combo of software and
    cabling or something like that? I know Nero, etc., can do Lightscribe but I also
    have the software that came with the drive itself, Lightscribe Direct Disk
    Labeling. Have you tried other software?

    That said, I've personally never tried *any* of them yet. I've been meaning to
    buy some Lightscribe-ready Verbatim DVDs but just haven't gotten to it.

    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
    Mara, Jan 20, 2009
  15. Evan Platt

    Leviathan Guest

    You do have the Lightscribe System Software and a burning program to run it?
    I use SureThing.

    Leviathan, Jan 20, 2009
  16. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:13:14 -0700, "Leviathan" <>
    wrote:

    >You do have the Lightscribe System Software and a burning program to run it?
    >I use SureThing.

    Yep. But unfortunately, the System Control Panel says no Lightscribe
    drives found.
    Evan Platt, Jan 20, 2009
  17. Evan Platt

    Leviathan Guest

    Well, the only idea I have left is that it sounds like a hardware
    recognition problem by the Lightscribe software. Might check to see if
    there's a firmware update for the drive. I've had to do that before.

    Leviathan, Jan 21, 2009
  18. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:04:17 -0700, "Leviathan" <>
    wrote:

    >Well, the only idea I have left is that it sounds like a hardware
    >recognition problem by the Lightscribe software. Might check to see if
    >there's a firmware update for the drive. I've had to do that before.

    Well it somewhat works on another machine. It's recognized and all,
    and just tried burning a lightscribe label, and - nothing.

    Unfortunately on that other machine, none of the firmware on Samsung's
    web site works. Says not compatible with the drive.

    Samsung says it's an OEM drive, and to get support from the seller
    (Newegg), Newegg says go to Samsung, or post in a forum.

    Won't be buying any OEM from Newegg anytime soon..
    Evan Platt, Jan 21, 2009
  19. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:25:16 -0800, Bill
    <> wrote:

    > You should expand that to not buying any OEM from anybody.

    Probably not a bad idea...

    > I have not seen a retailer that wouldn't use that dodge when it
    >comes to standing behind OEM parts. The best you can hope for is a
    >replacement from the seller.

    I hinted to NewEgg to see what they're willing to do to keep me as a
    customer. Not counting on anything.
    Evan Platt, Jan 21, 2009
  20. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:11:50 -0800, Bill
    <> wrote:

    > At the moment, they've got a few on sale < Lightscribe, Retail > for
    >under $30.00USD with free shipping. Definately not bank breaking.

    Those are internal, right? I'm sticking with USB for the meantime.
    Cheapest I could find was $60.
    Evan Platt, Jan 22, 2009