    Since then I can't get it to start in or out of the case.

    >From this I guess the power supply and power switch are both OK and

    that it's likely to be some fault with the motherboard. Can anybody
    suggest anything in the way of further testing or offer an opinion on
    how likely it is to be the mobo?

    Thanks

    Andy
    Kamawell, Mar 4, 2006

  2. Kamawell

    old jon Guest

    "Kamawell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've got a PC that's not coming on when the power button is pressed.
    > There seems to be power getting through to the motherboard as it's got
    > an LED that lights up as soon as the power lead is connected. I took
    > the motherboard out of the case (still connected) to try and rule out
    > any shorting on the case and it POSTed the first time I tried it.
    > Since then I can't get it to start in or out of the case.
    >
    >>From this I guess the power supply and power switch are both OK and

    > that it's likely to be some fault with the motherboard. Can anybody
    > suggest anything in the way of further testing or offer an opinion on
    > how likely it is to be the mobo?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Andy

    Do a meter test on the PSU first.
    Red and Black = 5v.
    Yellow and Black = 12v.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Mar 4, 2006

  3. Kamawell

    Dingus Guest

    "Kamawell" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a PC that's not coming on when the power button is pressed.
    > There seems to be power getting through to the motherboard as it's got
    > an LED that lights up as soon as the power lead is connected. I took
    > the motherboard out of the case (still connected) to try and rule out
    > any shorting on the case and it POSTed the first time I tried it.
    > Since then I can't get it to start in or out of the case.

    Check the switch. Had a generic PC/case... a similiar thing happen to me.
    The switch needed to be repaired. Hot glue and plasitic cable wraps.
    Dingus, Mar 9, 2006
  4. Kamawell

    Bill Guest

    On 4 Mar 2006 06:33:43 -0800, Kamawell wrote:

    > I've got a PC that's not coming on when the power button is pressed.
    > There seems to be power getting through to the motherboard as it's got
    > an LED that lights up as soon as the power lead is connected. I took
    > the motherboard out of the case (still connected) to try and rule out
    > any shorting on the case and it POSTed the first time I tried it.
    > Since then I can't get it to start in or out of the case.
    >
    >>From this I guess the power supply and power switch are both OK and

    > that it's likely to be some fault with the motherboard. Can anybody
    > suggest anything in the way of further testing or offer an opinion on
    > how likely it is to be the mobo?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Andy

    Bootfailure troubleshooting flow chart poster (free)
    http://www.fonerbooks.com/poster.pdf
    Bill, Mar 9, 2006