    Does anyone else here use the 400d and am I able to ask some questions
    if i need advice?
    The Flickr 400d group is very helpful also.

    Luke Carroll, Dec 18, 2007

  2. Luke Carroll

    Quadibloc Guest

    On Dec 18, 6:13 am, Luke Carroll <>
    wrote:
    > I am getting a digital SLR (400D) for Christmas and would like to get
    > some winter storms. Are storms and lightning difficult to capture?
    > This person explains it as easy, is it really as easy as point click and
    > capture?

    My understanding is that photographing lightning is difficult even
    with film cameras.

    The way you have to do it, IIRC, is make a long exposure, and hope
    that a lightning bolt happens *during* the exposure, because a
    lightning bolt is over by the time you have reacted to it to press the
    shutter. This may be a little bit more awkward with a CCD, but
    probably not that much.

    John Savard

    Quadibloc, Dec 18, 2007

  3. Luke Carroll

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    "Luke Carroll" <> wrote in message
    >I am getting a digital SLR (400D) for Christmas and would like to get some
    >winter storms. Are storms and lightning difficult to capture?
    > This person explains it as easy, is it really as easy as point click and
    > capture?
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2051967191/
    >
    > Digital SLR seems so scary compared to the the old IXUS 800.
    > I was lucky mom gave me the manual so I have studied up so hopefully I
    > will be comfortable when I start.
    >
    > Does anyone else here use the 400d and am I able to ask some questions if
    > i need advice?
    > The Flickr 400d group is very helpful also.

    The best way to photograph lightning is to use an HD video camcorder to
    record the storm.

    Later you can do a frame capture on your computer to get the best shots.

    NM

    ~~NoMad~~, Dec 18, 2007
  4. Luke Carroll

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Dec 18, 8:40 am, Quadibloc <> wrote:

    > The way you have to do it, IIRC, is make a long exposure, and hope
    > that a lightning bolt happens *during* the exposure, because a
    > lightning bolt is over by the time you have reacted to it to press the
    > shutter.

    Not if you are quick.

    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/62735361
    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/54799895

    They also make a lightning trigger which will trigger the shutter when
    lightning appears. I don't know how effective these devices are,
    however.

    Annika1980, Dec 18, 2007
  5. Luke Carroll

    Joel Broden Guest

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 07:33:15 -0700, "~~NoMad~~" <> wrote:

    >"Luke Carroll" <> wrote in message
    >>I am getting a digital SLR (400D) for Christmas and would like to get some
    >>winter storms. Are storms and lightning difficult to capture?
    >> This person explains it as easy, is it really as easy as point click and
    >> capture?
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2051967191/
    >>
    >> Digital SLR seems so scary compared to the the old IXUS 800.
    >> I was lucky mom gave me the manual so I have studied up so hopefully I
    >> will be comfortable when I start.
    >>
    >> Does anyone else here use the 400d and am I able to ask some questions if
    >> i need advice?
    >> The Flickr 400d group is very helpful also.

    >The best way to photograph lightning is to use an HD video camcorder to
    >record the storm.
    >
    >Later you can do a frame capture on your computer to get the best shots.
    >

    >NM

    Yeah, keep listening to these resident-troll morons. Virtual photographers
    playing with their virtual cameras handing out virtual advice, they win their
    imaginary "power points" if they can trick you into believing they've ever
    touched a camera, which they then hand in for their virtual blow-up doll reward
    each week.

    Do yourself a favor. Dump that image jarring POS DSLR and go put CHDK on your
    IXUS800 with motion detection built into it. Then use the motion detection
    feature to trigger each shot by the lightning strike itself.

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Samples:_Lightning_photography

    Joel Broden, Dec 18, 2007
  6. Luke Carroll

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Dec 18, 10:12 am, Joel Broden <> wrote:

    > Do yourself a favor. Dump that image jarring POS DSLR and go put CHDK on your
    > IXUS800 with motion detection built into it. Then use the motion detection
    > feature to trigger each shot by the lightning strike itself.

    The only disadvantage to that plan is that you'll end up with crappy
    pics taken by a crappy P&S.

    Annika1980, Dec 18, 2007
  7. Luke Carroll

    Pat Guest

    On Dec 18, 8:13 am, Luke Carroll <>
    wrote:
    > I am getting a digital SLR (400D) for Christmas and would like to get
    > some winter storms. Are storms and lightning difficult to capture?
    > This person explains it as easy, is it really as easy as point click and
    > capture?http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2051967191/
    >
    > Digital SLR seems so scary compared to the the old IXUS 800.
    > I was lucky mom gave me the manual so I have studied up so hopefully I
    > will be comfortable when I start.
    >
    > Does anyone else here use the 400d and am I able to ask some questions
    > if i need advice?
    > The Flickr 400d group is very helpful also.

    It's simple. Go set up a really big mirror a long ways in the
    opposite direction of the storm. Point the camera into the mirror.
    Wait for a lightning strike. When you see it, hit your shutter and
    capture the picture. Because the light goes to the mirror and bounces
    back at you, you'll have plenty of time to get ready for it.

    Pat, Dec 18, 2007
  8. Luke Carroll

    mcsteve Guest

    "Pat" wrote:
    > It's simple. Go set up a really big mirror a long ways in the
    > opposite direction of the storm. Point the camera into the mirror.
    > Wait for a lightning strike. When you see it, hit your shutter and
    > capture the picture. Because the light goes to the mirror and bounces
    > back at you, you'll have plenty of time to get ready for it.

    That was pretty funny. What about the issue of constantly having to
    wipe the rain off the mirror?

    --
    Steve <snip> McQ

    mcsteve, Dec 18, 2007
  9. Luke Carroll

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Joel Broden wrote:

    > Do yourself a favor. Dump that image jarring POS DSLR and go put
    > CHDK on your IXUS800 with motion detection built into it. Then use
    > the motion detection feature to trigger each shot by the lightning
    > strike itself.
    >
    > http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    > http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Samples:_Lightning_photography

    Yes - follow this advice. You can buy books with pictures of lightning
    inside - you will need to if you follow this advice.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

    Neil Ellwood, Dec 18, 2007
  10. Luke Carroll

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Quadibloc exclaimed (12/18/2007 11:10 PM):
    > On Dec 18, 6:13 am, Luke Carroll <>
    > wrote:
    >> I am getting a digital SLR (400D) for Christmas and would like to get
    >> some winter storms. Are storms and lightning difficult to capture?
    >> This person explains it as easy, is it really as easy as point click and
    >> capture?

    > My understanding is that photographing lightning is difficult even
    > with film cameras.
    >
    > The way you have to do it, IIRC, is make a long exposure, and hope
    > that a lightning bolt happens *during* the exposure, because a
    > lightning bolt is over by the time you have reacted to it to press the
    > shutter. This may be a little bit more awkward with a CCD, but
    > probably not that much.
    >
    > John Savard

    This is the method I used to get some nice lightning shots. This one
    was the best: http://www.flickr.com/photos/travelcat/2121555864/. It
    wasn't taken with a DSLR though; at the time I had a Nikon Coolpix 8700,
    which Nikon described as "DSLR-like". At any rate, these are the
    settings I used:

    Original date/time: 2006:12:01 20:56:32
    Exposure time: 800/100
    F-stop: 2.8
    ISO speed: 50

    Then, I'd just keep hitting the shutter button each time the previous
    exposure finished. I took probably 30 frames, and ended up with 5 or 6
    usable lightning images.

    Haven't had an opportunity yet to try with my 400D/Rebel XTi.

    jmc

    jmc, Dec 18, 2007
  11. Luke Carroll wrote:
    > I am getting a digital SLR (400D) for Christmas and would like to get
    > some winter storms. Are storms and lightning difficult to capture?
    > This person explains it as easy, is it really as easy as point click and
    > capture?
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2051967191/
    >
    > Digital SLR seems so scary compared to the the old IXUS 800.
    > I was lucky mom gave me the manual so I have studied up so hopefully I
    > will be comfortable when I start.
    >
    > Does anyone else here use the 400d and am I able to ask some questions
    > if i need advice?
    > The Flickr 400d group is very helpful also.

    It's quite easy, you set up the tripod and set the exposure to bulb.
    Lock the shutter with the cable release. Have a beer, once you have seen
    a few good strikes release the trigger. Repeat.

    Very easy.

    The Vintage Monk, Dec 18, 2007
  12. Or patient during a good storm. Just shoot lots of frames (you'll have
    to play with exposure) and you should end up with a good shot.
    http://epod.usra.edu/archive/epodviewer.php3?oid=185824

    George Anderson

    George Anderson, Dec 19, 2007
  13. Luke Carroll

    Matthew Winn Guest

    On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:10:54 GMT, "mcsteve" <>
    wrote:

    > "Pat" wrote:
    > > It's simple. Go set up a really big mirror a long ways in the
    > > opposite direction of the storm. Point the camera into the mirror.
    > > Wait for a lightning strike. When you see it, hit your shutter and
    > > capture the picture. Because the light goes to the mirror and bounces
    > > back at you, you'll have plenty of time to get ready for it.

    > That was pretty funny. What about the issue of constantly having to
    > wipe the rain off the mirror?

    Have you any idea how quickly light travels? You put the mirror a LONG
    way in the opposite direction, beyond the edge of the storm.

    If you put another mirror behind you then, if it turns out you missed
    the lighting on the first attempt, you can keep turning round to have
    another go.

    --
    Matthew Winn
    [If replying by mail remove the "r" from "urk"]

    Matthew Winn, Dec 19, 2007
  14. Luke Carroll

    Douglas Guest

    >I am getting a digital SLR (400D) for Christmas and would like to get some
    >winter storms. Are storms and lightning difficult to capture?
    > This person explains it as easy, is it really as easy as point click and
    > capture?
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2051967191/
    >
    > Digital SLR seems so scary compared to the the old IXUS 800.
    > I was lucky mom gave me the manual so I have studied up so hopefully I
    > will be comfortable when I start.
    >
    > Does anyone else here use the 400d and am I able to ask some questions if
    > i need advice?
    > The Flickr 400d group is very helpful also.

    Mate...
    Alienskin has a "lightning" plugin for Photoshop. Why bother with natural
    stuff?
    The one I made sure fooled the master of Photoshop in this group
    (Annika1980). He thought it was real Cool !!!
    http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/27848862 LOL

    Douglas

    Douglas, Dec 19, 2007
  15. Luke Carroll

    Luke Carroll Guest

    Quadibloc wrote:
    > On Dec 18, 6:13 am, Luke Carroll <>
    > wrote:
    >> I am getting a digital SLR (400D) for Christmas and would like to get
    >> some winter storms. Are storms and lightning difficult to capture?
    >> This person explains it as easy, is it really as easy as point click and
    >> capture?

    > My understanding is that photographing lightning is difficult even
    > with film cameras.
    >
    > The way you have to do it, IIRC, is make a long exposure, and hope
    > that a lightning bolt happens *during* the exposure, because a
    > lightning bolt is over by the time you have reacted to it to press the
    > shutter. This may be a little bit more awkward with a CCD, but
    > probably not that much.
    >
    > John Savard

    Thank John

    At leas with digital you aren't wasting film.

    Luke Carroll, Dec 19, 2007
  16. Luke Carroll

    Luke Carroll Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > On Dec 18, 8:40 am, Quadibloc <> wrote:
    >
    >> The way you have to do it, IIRC, is make a long exposure, and hope
    >> that a lightning bolt happens *during* the exposure, because a
    >> lightning bolt is over by the time you have reacted to it to press the
    >> shutter.

    > Not if you are quick.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/62735361
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/54799895

    I prefer the first one. You can't really see anything in the second

    Luke Carroll, Dec 19, 2007
  17. Luke Carroll

    Luke Carroll Guest

    George Anderson wrote:
    > Or patient during a good storm. Just shoot lots of frames (you'll have
    > to play with exposure) and you should end up with a good shot.
    > http://epod.usra.edu/archive/epodviewer.php3?oid=185824

    Amazing. Nothing more to say

    Luke Carroll, Dec 19, 2007
  18. Luke Carroll

    Luke Carroll Guest

    jmc wrote:
    > Suddenly, without warning, Quadibloc exclaimed (12/18/2007 11:10 PM):
    >> On Dec 18, 6:13 am, Luke Carroll <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> I am getting a digital SLR (400D) for Christmas and would like to get
    >>> some winter storms. Are storms and lightning difficult to capture?
    >>> This person explains it as easy, is it really as easy as point click and
    >>> capture?

    >> My understanding is that photographing lightning is difficult even
    >> with film cameras.
    >>
    >> The way you have to do it, IIRC, is make a long exposure, and hope
    >> that a lightning bolt happens *during* the exposure, because a
    >> lightning bolt is over by the time you have reacted to it to press the
    >> shutter. This may be a little bit more awkward with a CCD, but
    >> probably not that much.
    >>
    >> John Savard

    > This is the method I used to get some nice lightning shots. This one
    > was the best: http://www.flickr.com/photos/travelcat/2121555864/.

    That bad boy has some power in it. Maybe one day they will harness that
    energy

    Luke Carroll, Dec 19, 2007
  19. Luke Carroll

    Luke Carroll Guest

    ~~NoMad~~ wrote:
    > "Luke Carroll" <> wrote in message
    >> I am getting a digital SLR (400D) for Christmas and would like to get some
    >> winter storms. Are storms and lightning difficult to capture?
    >> This person explains it as easy, is it really as easy as point click and
    >> capture?
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2051967191/
    >>
    >> Digital SLR seems so scary compared to the the old IXUS 800.
    >> I was lucky mom gave me the manual so I have studied up so hopefully I
    >> will be comfortable when I start.
    >>
    >> Does anyone else here use the 400d and am I able to ask some questions if
    >> i need advice?
    >> The Flickr 400d group is very helpful also.

    > The best way to photograph lightning is to use an HD video camcorder to
    > record the storm.
    >
    > Later you can do a frame capture on your computer to get the best shots.

    You have just confirmed every group has a troll.

    Luke Carroll, Dec 19, 2007
  20. Luke Carroll

    Luke Carroll Guest

    Joel Broden wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 07:33:15 -0700, "~~NoMad~~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Luke Carroll" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am getting a digital SLR (400D) for Christmas and would like to get some
    >>> winter storms. Are storms and lightning difficult to capture?
    >>> This person explains it as easy, is it really as easy as point click and
    >>> capture?
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon/2051967191/
    >>>
    >>> Digital SLR seems so scary compared to the the old IXUS 800.
    >>> I was lucky mom gave me the manual so I have studied up so hopefully I
    >>> will be comfortable when I start.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone else here use the 400d and am I able to ask some questions if
    >>> i need advice?
    >>> The Flickr 400d group is very helpful also.

    >> The best way to photograph lightning is to use an HD video camcorder to
    >> record the storm.
    >>
    >> Later you can do a frame capture on your computer to get the best shots.
    >>

    >> NM
    >>

    > Yeah, keep listening to these resident-troll morons. Virtual photographers
    > playing with their virtual cameras handing out virtual advice, they win their
    > imaginary "power points" if they can trick you into believing they've ever
    > touched a camera, which they then hand in for their virtual blow-up doll reward
    > each week.

    Don't worry I ignored him.

    Luke Carroll, Dec 19, 2007