    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the problem?

    Thanks,
    Franki
    Franki, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Franki

    Guest

    Franki wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Last night there was a terrible lightning storm. This morning, my
    > computer will not power on.

    Do you by chance have a phone line plugged into the modem on the
    computer?

    > I have tried replacing the power supply and power cord to no avail. My
    > motherboard light DOES come on with any power supply including the
    > lightning-struck one. I have taken the entire computer apart looking
    > for burnt connectors etc. I have even SNIFFED everywhere to see if I
    > can smell fried electronics and there's absolutely not one single spot
    > anywhere on any part of the computer that has fried.

    Remove the modem/nic card(s), and try powering it up.

    --
    Dustin
    Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool

  3. Franki

    Russ Guest

    I had this happen to my Sony PC a few months ago. The power pack was damaged
    and a new one had to be replaced. It was still under warrantly and they
    came out and fixed it. However, the first diagnosis did not pick up the
    problem.
    Russ

    Russ, Jul 20, 2006
  4. Franki

    Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:
    > Franki wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Last night there was a terrible lightning storm. This morning, my
    >>computer will not power on.

    > Do you by chance have a phone line plugged into the modem on the
    > computer?
    >

    >>I have tried replacing the power supply and power cord to no avail. My
    >>motherboard light DOES come on with any power supply including the
    >>lightning-struck one. I have taken the entire computer apart looking
    >>for burnt connectors etc. I have even SNIFFED everywhere to see if I
    >>can smell fried electronics and there's absolutely not one single spot
    >>anywhere on any part of the computer that has fried.

    > Remove the modem/nic card(s), and try powering it up.
    >
    > --
    > Dustin
    > Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool
    > http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk

    Good idea: i remember that (burned nic card) happened to me once:
    my computer was in the front office when lightening came through the
    wall in the back of the building and struck a Bridgeport milling machine
    (which was of course WELL grounded!)!
    Rick Merrill, Jul 20, 2006
  5. Franki

    Franki Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Franki wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >>Last night there was a terrible lightning storm. This morning, my
    > >>computer will not power on.

    > > Do you by chance have a phone line plugged into the modem on the
    > > computer?
    > >

    > >>I have tried replacing the power supply and power cord to no avail. My
    > >>motherboard light DOES come on with any power supply including the
    > >>lightning-struck one. I have taken the entire computer apart looking
    > >>for burnt connectors etc. I have even SNIFFED everywhere to see if I
    > >>can smell fried electronics and there's absolutely not one single spot
    > >>anywhere on any part of the computer that has fried.

    > > Remove the modem/nic card(s), and try powering it up.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dustin
    > > Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool
    > > http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk
    > >

    > Good idea: i remember that (burned nic card) happened to me once:
    > my computer was in the front office when lightening came through the
    > wall in the back of the building and struck a Bridgeport milling machine
    > (which was of course WELL grounded!)!

    I have actually tried all of that. I took everything out of the
    computer, all cards, unplugged the drives and fans so the only things
    left are the power cord, power supply, the motherboard, the cpu and the
    power button that could be the culprit. Since I tried a second power
    supply and power cord already, it has to either be the motherboard, cpu
    or the power button cord. I guess I'll replace the mobo and cross my
    fingers.

    What are the chances that it's the cpu? Would a fried cpu keep the
    power from coming on? Right now the motherboard light comes on but a
    power supply fan doesn't...when attempting to power-on the computer.
    Franki, Jul 20, 2006
  6. Franki

    Guest

    "Franki" <> wrote:

    |>I have actually tried all of that. I took everything out of the
    |>computer, all cards, unplugged the drives and fans so the only things
    |>left are the power cord, power supply, the motherboard, the cpu and the
    |>power button that could be the culprit.

    Stupid question, ya got power to the outlet right?

    --
    Check out what China built.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/19/huangyangtan_mystery/
  7. Franki

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Franki wrote:

    > Rick Merrill wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>>Do you by chance have a phone line plugged into the modem on the
    >>>computer?

    >>>Remove the modem/nic card(s), and try powering it up.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Dustin
    >>>Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool
    >>>http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk
    >>>

    >>Good idea: i remember that (burned nic card) happened to me once:
    >>my computer was in the front office when lightening came through the
    >>wall in the back of the building and struck a Bridgeport milling machine
    >>(which was of course WELL grounded!)!

    > I have actually tried all of that. I took everything out of the
    > computer, all cards, unplugged the drives and fans so the only things
    > left are the power cord, power supply, the motherboard, the cpu and the
    > power button that could be the culprit. Since I tried a second power
    > supply and power cord already, it has to either be the motherboard, cpu
    > or the power button cord. I guess I'll replace the mobo and cross my
    > fingers.
    >
    > What are the chances that it's the cpu? Would a fried cpu keep the
    > power from coming on? Right now the motherboard light comes on but a
    > power supply fan doesn't...when attempting to power-on the computer.

    You said the power LED/indicator came on - so you're plugged in;-)

    Now, does the system make any sounds, beeps, blaats?

    Did you try another fan? (even fans can get zapped)
    If you tried another fan and it didn't work, replace the power
    supply<period>.
    Rick Merrill, Jul 20, 2006
  8. Franki

    Franki Guest

    wrote:
    > "Franki" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>I have actually tried all of that. I took everything out of the
    > |>computer, all cards, unplugged the drives and fans so the only things
    > |>left are the power cord, power supply, the motherboard, the cpu and the
    > |>power button that could be the culprit.
    >
    > Stupid question, ya got power to the outlet right?
    >
    > --
    > Check out what China built.
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/19/huangyangtan_mystery/

    Yeppers :) The light on the motherboard comes on.
    Franki, Jul 20, 2006
  9. Franki

    DanR Guest

    > Right now the motherboard light comes on but a
    > power supply fan doesn't...when attempting to power-on the computer.

    Seems odd that the fan that is within the power supply doesn't spin.
    Disconnect all power supply wires and power up with only the power supply.
    If the fan then comes on then there might be a short that is taking that
    particular voltage to 0 volts. Did you have the same symptom with the spare
    power supply you said you tried? Apply power to the spare power supply and
    see if the fan turns. If not you may have fried both power supplies.
    DanR, Jul 21, 2006
  10. Franki

    Guest

    Franki wrote:

    > I have actually tried all of that. I took everything out of the
    > computer, all cards, unplugged the drives and fans so the only things
    > left are the power cord, power supply, the motherboard, the cpu and the
    > power button that could be the culprit. Since I tried a second power
    > supply and power cord already, it has to either be the motherboard, cpu
    > or the power button cord. I guess I'll replace the mobo and cross my
    > fingers.

    If you suspect the cabling for the power button, you can short the pins
    on the mainboard with a screw driver for a second or so to turn it on.
    :) It doesn't require a constant closed circuit. I really don't think
    your power switch is bad.

    > What are the chances that it's the cpu? Would a fried cpu keep the
    > power from coming on? Right now the motherboard light comes on but a
    > power supply fan doesn't...when attempting to power-on the computer.

    First, are you sure the other power supply is good? If it is, since
    you've already pulled the cards... You either have a dead board and/or
    cpu. You can try resetting the cmos if it has a jumper to do so on the
    mainboard. It's a lost cause otherwise.

    --
    Dustin
    Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool
    http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk
    , Jul 21, 2006
  11. Franki

    Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > That doesn't mean much. You can have a PS that doesn't push enough current to
    > power up the system and still have the mainboard light on.

    While true, said power supply should still fire it's own cooling fan.
    His is not doing so.

    > Did you check the motherboard for capacitors with bulges and/or leaks in the
    > caps?

    Good point. He can replace them if that's the case, providing he's
    alright with a soldering pencil.

    --
    Dustin
    Author of BugHunter - MalWare Removal Tool
    http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk
    , Jul 21, 2006
  12. Franki

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:24:23 -0700, Franki wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Last night there was a terrible lightning storm. This morning, my computer
    > will not power on.
    >
    > I have tried replacing the power supply and power cord to no avail. My
    > motherboard light DOES come on with any power supply including the
    > lightning-struck one. I have taken the entire computer apart looking for
    > burnt connectors etc. I have even SNIFFED everywhere to see if I can smell
    > fried electronics and there's absolutely not one single spot anywhere on
    > any part of the computer that has fried.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Franki

    Pull all cards except video, short the pins on the mainboard where the
    on/off switch terminates. If it does not power up it may be time for a new
    mainboard.

    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 21, 2006