Lighting speakers next to screen - Equipment Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AEngineerDU, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. AEngineerDU

    AEngineerDU Guest

    In several courses I teach students make presentations standing next
    to a projection screen (computer projector). I'd like to get a record
    of the presentations in which both what they're projecting and the
    students are visible. It seems to me this ought to be possible by
    having the students stand next to the screen and lighting them with a
    luminaire that has a cutoff so that they're illuminated, but not the
    screen. From my reading the device for this kind of control is called
    a "barn door".

    We'll be recording several days of presentation at a time using a
    digital camcorder.

    My questions:

    1) Does anyone have experience doing this kind of work, and if so,
    does what I propose make sense?
    2) Do you have recommendations for the kind of lights and barn door
    (or other device) I should purchase. I don't have a signficant budget
    for this so price matters.

    Thanks

    Jim Mitchell
    AEngineerDU, Jan 27, 2007

  2. AEngineerDU

    Charles Guest

    On 27 Jan 2007 13:42:21 -0800, "AEngineerDU" <>
    wrote:

    >In several courses I teach students make presentations standing next
    >to a projection screen (computer projector). I'd like to get a record
    >of the presentations in which both what they're projecting and the
    >students are visible. It seems to me this ought to be possible by
    >having the students stand next to the screen and lighting them with a
    >luminaire that has a cutoff so that they're illuminated, but not the
    >screen. From my reading the device for this kind of control is called
    >a "barn door".
    >
    >We'll be recording several days of presentation at a time using a
    >digital camcorder.
    >
    >My questions:
    >
    >1) Does anyone have experience doing this kind of work, and if so,
    >does what I propose make sense?
    >2) Do you have recommendations for the kind of lights and barn door
    >(or other device) I should purchase. I don't have a signficant budget
    >for this so price matters.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Jim Mitchell

    Any rental places around> Any pro photographers that would were you
    could rent some equipment? that way you'd get some good advice and
    the use of better equipment than you could afford to purchase.
    Charles, Jan 28, 2007

  3. AEngineerDU

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 27, 4:42 pm, "AEngineerDU" <> wrote:
    > In several courses I teach students make presentations standing next
    > to a projection screen (computer projector). I'd like to get a record
    > of the presentations in which both what they're projecting and the
    > students are visible. It seems to me this ought to be possible by
    > having the students stand next to the screen and lighting them with a
    > luminaire that has a cutoff so that they're illuminated, but not the
    > screen. From my reading the device for this kind of control is called
    > a "barn door".
    >
    > We'll be recording several days of presentation at a time using a
    > digital camcorder.
    >
    > My questions:
    >
    > 1) Does anyone have experience doing this kind of work, and if so,
    > does what I propose make sense?
    > 2) Do you have recommendations for the kind of lights and barn door
    > (or other device) I should purchase. I don't have a signficant budget
    > for this so price matters.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jim Mitchell

    Jim,
    The traditional way of doing this is with a spot light on the
    lecturne. Barn doors are used with broad beamed light, they are
    nothing more than a shade that blocks the light. Some auditoriums have
    spots on either side of the screen, some unfortunately only have a
    bank of lights in front, short of having some bulbs taken out there is
    not much to do with that type of room layout.
    You could put a spot light on a stand and light the lecturne that way,
    but to look right it needs to be high up, and 15-20 foot stands are
    expensive, not to mention the price of a good spot light. The other
    thing a light of that sort does is inhibit the speaker, especially if
    they move around the stage.
    Digital projectors tend to be bright so take a light reading on one
    presentation, we average, not whte of black backgrounds and a light
    reading around the lecturne, your hand is a good object to use, see
    how they fall you might be surprised. Another good thing is that
    digital camcorders tend to have good light sensitivity.

    Good luck
    Tom
    tomm42, Jan 28, 2007