    Ciao,
    Mark

    PS: My camera is a Canon 10D
    Mark C, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Mark C

    Frankhartx Guest

    >From: "Mark C"

    >I am looking at the Paterson "Interfit" systems.......they seem to be good
    >deals and can get me started at under $500.

    Hardware stores sell twin 500 watt halogen worklights at about $39 each with
    adjustable stands. The protective cages are easily removed for photographic
    use-if desired the 500 watt bulbs can be replaced with 300 watt--cheap solution
    but how well does it work> Check my site at http://www.musecube.com/frankhartx
    Most of the interior shots were taken with the halogen worklights,
    Frankhartx, Aug 5, 2003

  3. On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:03:21 -0500, "Mark C" <> wrote:

    >I realize that the
    >always on system gets a bit hot.......but it would also allow me to use my
    >speedlight at high speed syc as a fill flash...giving me a third
    >light....

    The always-on lights may not be the same color temperature as your
    speedlite.
    Larry Miracle, Aug 5, 2003
  4. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Yes.......this is true........I didn't think of that.

    Thanx,
    Mark

    Mark C, Aug 5, 2003
  5. Mark C

    Jeremy Guest

    Mark C <> wrote:

    > Can anyone speak to the pros and cons of each system. I realize that the
    > always on system gets a bit hot.......but it would also allow me to use my
    > speedlight at high speed syc as a fill flash...giving me a third
    > light....

    I find a studio strobe setup is always preferable. No worries about light
    level, color temperature, etc. You can still use your on-camera flash if
    you want; I like to use it, cranked way down, as a trigger for the slaves
    on the "real" strobe units (freeing me from wires). This doesn't stop you
    from also using it for fill light, but be careful not to make the lighting
    too flat doing that. Decent strobes usually have modeling lights in them,
    not nearly as bright as a photoflood but enough to see what your light is
    doing.

    Getting enough light out of a floodlight system to do handheld shots of
    a moving model is going to generate a good amount of heat, as well as
    being a pain in the ass on both sides of the camera. And you won't be
    able to use your on-camera flash with it because the color temperature
    won't match.

    > they would also be useful for shooting video as well, no?

    That'd be the advantage of floodlights. Not worth it to me. If you want
    video lights, get lights for that. Get a strobe set for stills.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy, Aug 5, 2003
  6. On Tuesday 05 August 2003 01:03 pm, Mark C wrote:

    > I need to buy some kind of lighting set up. In my research I have
    > come
    > across two basic set ups. One is the flash/strobe set up and the
    > other is the Quartz Halogen fan cooled light heads (always on
    > system).
    >
    > Can anyone speak to the pros and cons of each system. I realize
    > that the always on system gets a bit hot.......but it would also
    > allow me to use my speedlight at high speed syc as a fill
    > flash...giving me a third light....they would also be useful for
    > shooting video as well, no?
    >
    > I am looking at the Paterson "Interfit" systems.......they seem to
    > be good deals and can get me started at under $500.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Ciao,
    > Mark
    >
    > PS: My camera is a Canon 10D

    If you're going to be dealing with subjects that, for the most part,
    can be still for a moment or two, "hot" lights are an economical
    choice to learn lighting and lighting techniques.

    When you've spent a year or two using "hot' lights, you can move up
    to strobes.

    Of course, don't get either until you've become competent using and
    modifying "natural" light.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    Stefan Patric, Aug 5, 2003
  7. Mark C

    Trajabador Guest

    You might find the lighting forum on dpreview to be a valuable resource.
    Most of the pros who participate are very good about giving excellent advice
    to amateurs who are just starting out. There are also a couple raging jerks
    who love to belittle newbies, but they mostly pick on those unfortunates who
    refer to themselves as "semi-pros." Your well stated question should
    generate nothing but helpful advice. Here's the link:

    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1025

    HTH
    Trajabador, Aug 6, 2003