  1. Are digital cameras affected by UV light?

    --
    boots
    Boots Crofoot, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Boots Crofoot

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Boots Crofoot wrote:

    > Are digital cameras affected by UV light?

    No.
    Jim Townsend, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Boots Crofoot

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Yes and no. To some degree yes, but it seems to be less than most
    films.

    Even different films are not the same and different people see it
    different. The cut off for our vision is not at exactly the same spot.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 11, 2003
  5. Boots Crofoot

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Not as much as film. While silicon CCD chips do have some small
    sensitivity to longer end of UV spectrum, the glass used in lens, and
    the color filters further restrict the UV response of a digicam.

    There have been some special CCD chips made with enhanced UV response.
    Some are GaAs chips, others silicon with care taken not to loose what
    small UV response silicon already has.

    In general, though, digicams with silicon CCDs are not that good for
    doing UV photography. Better to use fast film and scan film afterwards.

    One technique which could be done is to use an image converter, a
    flourescing screen sensitive to UV, with the silicon CCD chip imaged on
    the screen.

    BTW, Canon used to sell a lens specially made for enhanced UV
    transmittance. The glass in the lenses on most cameras limits the UV
    response more than the film. Actually, film is even sensitive to X-ray,
    but the lenses will not refract and image X-rays.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Oct 11, 2003