    I realize this isn't truly a digital question but I'm taking a D100 and
    a D200 with me so I thought I'd try to sneak it in.

    Thanks

    AlJ, Jun 28, 2006

  2. AlJ

    J. Clarke Guest

    AlJ wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a D200 and a 50x500 Sigma lens. Its too heavy to hand hold
    > and can be interesting on a Monopod.
    >
    > We're going to be doing some hiking Glacier NP and I was hoping to get
    > recommendations on a light weight tripod that might double as a monopod
    > for the other lenses.
    >
    > I realize this isn't truly a digital question but I'm taking a D100 and
    > a D200 with me so I thought I'd try to sneak it in.

    Take a look at a Manfrotto 190mf4 or 055MF4 (the 055 is taller, stiffer, and
    a pound heavier) with whichever head you like. There are enough variations
    though that you really should look through the Bogen/Manfrotto catalog
    <http://www.bogenimaging.com> and find the pieces that are just right for
    you.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jun 28, 2006

  3. A little off topic, but I always thought the makers of these extendable
    hiking poles, which seem to be becoming more and more popular, were missing
    a trick. How about a hinged top cover to reveal a standard camera screw
    mounting, giving you a dual purpose hiking pole/monopod?

    I wonder if "Mr Leki" reads this group....

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Jun 29, 2006
  4. On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:42:31 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Keith Sheppard"
    <> wrote:

    >A little off topic, but I always thought the makers of these extendable
    >hiking poles, which seem to be becoming more and more popular, were missing
    >a trick. How about a hinged top cover to reveal a standard camera screw
    >mounting, giving you a dual purpose hiking pole/monopod?
    >
    >I wonder if "Mr Leki" reads this group....

    ??? My Leki hiking pole has a wooden ball on top which unscrews to reveal
    just this. http://www.leki.com/html/trek_natlgeo_2089.asp
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jun 29, 2006
  5. AlJ

    J. Clarke Guest

    Keith Sheppard wrote:

    > A little off topic, but I always thought the makers of these extendable
    > hiking poles, which seem to be becoming more and more popular, were
    > missing
    > a trick. How about a hinged top cover to reveal a standard camera screw
    > mounting, giving you a dual purpose hiking pole/monopod?
    >
    > I wonder if "Mr Leki" reads this group....

    Not at all uncommon to have a ball screwed down to a 1/4-20 stud. Mine has
    that and it's at least 15 years old. There was even a little plastic
    ballhead that screwed onto it which I have long since managed to lose.

    J. Clarke, Jun 29, 2006
  6. >>??? My Leki hiking pole has a wooden ball on top which unscrews to reveal
    >>just this. http://www.leki.com/html/trek_natlgeo_2089.asp

    Where abouts in the world did you buy it? I have searched in vane in
    camping shops in the UK for this feature.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Jun 30, 2006
  7. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jun 30, 2006
  8. AlJ

    Ian B Guest

    Google it:

    http://www.leki.co.uk/index3.asp?id=13&section=Walking & Foto System&set=2

    Have a look here, its that pole in the UK. Probably a bit steep @ £40, must
    be others around at a better price.

    Ian.

    Ian B, Jun 30, 2006
  9. AlJ

    Ian B Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > Keith Sheppard wrote:
    >
    >> A little off topic, but I always thought the makers of these extendable
    >> hiking poles, which seem to be becoming more and more popular, were
    >> missing
    >> a trick. How about a hinged top cover to reveal a standard camera screw
    >> mounting, giving you a dual purpose hiking pole/monopod?
    >>
    >> I wonder if "Mr Leki" reads this group....

    > Not at all uncommon to have a ball screwed down to a 1/4-20 stud. Mine
    > has
    > that and it's at least 15 years old. There was even a little plastic
    > ballhead that screwed onto it which I have long since managed to lose.
    >

    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Try this one, even cheaper!!!!!

    http://www.alptech-outdoors.co.uk/

    Camera screw hidden in ball on top of walking pole.

    Ian.

    Ian B, Jun 30, 2006
  10. AlJ

    J. Clarke Guest

    Keith Sheppard wrote:

    >>>??? My Leki hiking pole has a wooden ball on top which unscrews to reveal
    >>>just this. http://www.leki.com/html/trek_natlgeo_2089.asp

    > Where abouts in the world did you buy it? I have searched in vane in
    > camping shops in the UK for this feature.

    One source, the first hit on googling "Leki UK", is
    <http://www.leki.co.uk/index3.asp?id=13&section=Walking%20&%20Foto%20System&set=2>.

    Any shop that carries Leki should be able to order it for you.

    J. Clarke, Jun 30, 2006
  11. AlJ <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've got a D200 and a 50x500 Sigma lens. Its too heavy to hand hold
    > and can be interesting on a Monopod.

    I am not sure what that 50x500 weights ... but I suspect the Moutaineer series
    would work fabulously. Get a sturdy head though.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jun 30, 2006
  12. AlJ

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:27:52 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

    >> Where abouts in the world did you buy it? I have searched in vane in
    >> camping shops in the UK for this feature.

    > One source, the first hit on googling "Leki UK", is
    > <http://www.leki.co.uk/index3.asp?id=13&section=Walking%20&%20Foto%20System&set=2>.
    >
    > Any shop that carries Leki should be able to order it for you.

    Makes my £8 monpod seem very cheap.
    --
    Neil
    Delete l to reply

    Neil Ellwood, Jun 30, 2006
  13. AlJ

    SMS Guest

    Keith Sheppard wrote:
    >>> ??? My Leki hiking pole has a wooden ball on top which unscrews to reveal
    >>> just this. http://www.leki.com/html/trek_natlgeo_2089.asp

    > Where abouts in the world did you buy it? I have searched in vane in
    > camping shops in the UK for this feature.

    See "http://www.stewardsons.co.uk/Hiking_Poles.htm" and look at the Leki
    Sierra. Looks like it's £39.95.

    I bought one on U.S. eBay several years ago. They're still available,
    search for "Jacko Camera" on the U.S. eBay site. They're $35 for
    anti-shock, $30 for regular, $6 shipping. Of course this doesn't help
    you much in the UK.

    SMS, Jun 30, 2006
  14. AlJ

    Brian Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:40:02 +0100, Neil Ellwood
    <> mentioned:

    >>> Where abouts in the world did you buy it? I have searched in vane in
    >>> camping shops in the UK for this feature.

    >> One source, the first hit on googling "Leki UK", is
    >> <http://www.leki.co.uk/index3.asp?id=13&section=Walking%20&%20Foto%20System&set=2>.
    >>
    >> Any shop that carries Leki should be able to order it for you.

    >Makes my £8 monpod seem very cheap.

    I bought a £2 mini tripod from ebay which I fix to the grip of the
    pole I already had with a short length of bungee cord - works a treat.

    Brian
    (for email change closed to open)

    Brian, Jul 1, 2006
  15. AlJ

    Brian Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:37:33 +0100, Brian
    <> mentioned:

    >I bought a £2 mini tripod from ebay which I fix to the grip of the
    >pole I already had with a short length of bungee cord - works a treat.

    ..., and with a second piece of bungee to hold the pole to some
    railings it was firm enought to get some good firework shots with a 4
    sec exposure on a 400mm lens.

    Brian, Jul 1, 2006