    Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in a
    dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be at
    least 5 ft tall.
    peter, Jun 18, 2008

  2. peter

    John Guest

    simon steel wrote:
    > Velbon CX-mini.
    > http://www.jessops.com/Store/s25338...ts/Tripods/Velbon/Cx-Mini-Tripod/details.aspx
    > I took one of these to peru... ideal for lightweight occasional use.
    > Small enough and light enought that you'll actually carry it.. rather than
    > leaving it back in the hotel..
    >
    > SS

    Since when did 64cm equate to a height of 5ft?

    John.

    John, Jun 19, 2008

  3. peter

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "peter" <> wrote

    > I'm traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
    > (pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000
    > tripod weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.

    > Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in
    > a dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be
    > at least 5 ft tall.

    Have a look on eBay. If your version is anything like the Aussie one, there
    will be at least a couple of sellers offering (repeatedly) lightweight
    Chinese tripods which, although junk, are adequate for a trip away, and
    extend to over my head height (170 cm). And if one of the legs falls off
    after a week or two, you've only lost $10-15 including postage.

    I use mine with both a Coolpix 995 and a D8 video camera (although it really
    is too flimsy for something that heavy.)

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Jun 19, 2008
  4. peter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:25:15 +0100, bugbear
    <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

    >peter wrote:
    >> I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
    >> (pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000 tripod
    >> weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.
    >>
    >> Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in a
    >> dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be at
    >> least 5 ft tall.

    >Are you sure? I've got tremendous mileage out of a table top tripod.
    >
    >http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/photo_tech/nik_tripod.jpg
    >
    >I can *normally* find something to stand it on (I've often
    >used chairs in churches).
    >
    >I've also used the tripod held against a wall for a long-ish exposure
    >with no trouble
    >
    >Mundane examples:
    >
    >Station: 6 second exposure, of the parapet of the bridge crossing the line
    >
    >http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/photo_tech/station.jpg
    >
    >Park: 13 second exposure, tripod on top of waste bin
    >
    >http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/photo_tech/park.jpg

    Inventiveness has always been useful in photography. When a relative
    was visiting from Ireland, and wanted some group pictures that
    included everyone, we were at the beach with no one around to take the
    picture. The only object around tall enough to place the camera on
    was a waste receptacle with a round top.

    I took a bag that was part of a folding beach chair set, filled it
    with sand from the beach, and draped it over the waste receptacle.
    That provided a steady platform for the camera set with the
    self-timer.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 19, 2008
  5. Joseph Meehan <> wrote:
    > "peter" <> wrote in message
    >> I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
    >> (pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000
    >> tripod weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.
    >>
    >> Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in
    >> a dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be
    >> at least 5 ft tall.

    > If you want something five foot tall, no matter what the camera size is,
    > you need something sturdy and solid, or you should not bother at all since
    > it will not hold it steady.

    If you're indoors and the floor is solid and you use a remote shutter
    release a light flimsy tripod will hold your camera as steady as
    anything else.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    Chris Malcolm, Jun 20, 2008
  6. peter

    Morton Guest

    peter wrote:
    > I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
    > (pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000 tripod
    > weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.
    >
    > Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in a
    > dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be at
    > least 5 ft tall.

    Hi,

    If you are taking pix of stationary things, e.g. a cathedral, try using
    the self-timer instead of the shutter release. This prevents the slight
    camera movement caused by a finger pressing the shutter release. A
    beanbag or sandbag is also helpful.

    Morton
    Morton, Jun 20, 2008
  7. In message <485af0af$0$11619$>, Morton <>
    writes
    >peter wrote:

    >> Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure
    >>(e.g. in a dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do;
    >>it has to be at least 5 ft tall.

    I have a screw-clamp Hama camera mount/table tripod like this:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Clamp-Table-Tripod-opening/dp/B00006JAXB

    It will clamp onto a convenient fixture (shelf, table edge) in lieu of
    a tripod but it will probably not hold a dSLR with a big lens firmly.
    Fits in a camera bag.

    >If you are taking pix of stationary things, e.g. a cathedral, try using
    >the self-timer instead of the shutter release. This prevents the slight
    >camera movement caused by a finger pressing the shutter release. A
    >beanbag or sandbag is also helpful.

    I did this to good effect when shooting a lunar eclipse a couple of
    years ago, with the camera at maximum zoom (about 200mm) and long
    exposures of over 2 seconds.
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
    Robert Sneddon, Jun 20, 2008
  8. peter

    Stewy Guest

    In article <485af0af$0$11619$>, Morton <>
    wrote:

    > peter wrote:
    > > I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
    > > (pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000
    > > tripod
    > > weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.
    > >
    > > Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in
    > > dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be at
    > > least 5 ft tall.
    > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > If you are taking pix of stationary things, e.g. a cathedral, try using
    > the self-timer instead of the shutter release. This prevents the slight
    > camera movement caused by a finger pressing the shutter release. A
    > beanbag or sandbag is also helpful.

    You can also make your own by filling a couple of long socks with dried
    peas or styrofoam pellets
    Stewy, Jun 20, 2008
  9. Joseph Meehan <> wrote:
    > "Chris Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    >> Joseph Meehan <> wrote:
    >>> "peter" <> wrote in message

    >>> If you want something five foot tall, no matter what the camera size
    >>> is,
    >>> you need something sturdy and solid, or you should not bother at all
    >>> since
    >>> it will not hold it steady.

    >> If you're indoors and the floor is solid and you use a remote shutter
    >> release a light flimsy tripod will hold your camera as steady as
    >> anything else.

    > He's talking "Pocket Camera" How many have remote release capability?

    In that case there's always the timer.

    Chris Malcolm, Jun 20, 2008