    want it to provide stability as well...

    TIA,

    db
    Dave Brown, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Dave Brown

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: (Dave Brown)

    >I would really like to get a versatile, light, portable tripod for my
    >treks into the woods and hills. Can you folks suggest some good ones
    >to look at. Light weight and portability is important, but I really
    >want it to provide stability as well...

    Gitzo carbon fiber models work great but are expensive. What is the heaviest
    lens you'll be using?
    Bill Hilton, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Dave Brown

    Samuel Paik Guest

    (Dave Brown) wrote:
    > I would really like to get a versatile, light, portable tripod for my
    > treks into the woods and hills. Can you folks suggest some good ones
    > to look at. Light weight and portability is important, but I really
    > want it to provide stability as well...

    Depending on your particular balance of light weight and stability
    needs, a monopod might be worth considering. I have a Bogen 3016 which
    is ok--it doesn't go everywhere with me but it doesn't merely sit in the
    closet. Carbon fiber monopods are available, but the weight savings
    generally are not much.

    <http://www.photo.net/equipment/tripods/monopods>

    If your balance is way over to lightweight, you might consider a
    walking stick with a camera attachment. These are likely to be
    somewhat lighter and less stiff than camera monopods, but you can use
    them as walking sticks so they aren't dead weight when they aren't
    being used as a camera support. The Leki Sierra and the Tracks
    Sherlock are examples. (I don't heave one, but I'm strongly
    considering one or a pair.)

    <http://www.cascadedesigns.com/tracks/travel.asp?Action=SherlockTravelStaff>
    <http://www.leki.com/Trek/travelseries.htm>

    Decent carbon fiber tripods start around 4 pounds, which is more
    additional weight than I would prefer to lug. Decent aluminum
    tripods start about a pound heavier (but those would be signicantly
    less stiff than the light weight carbon fiber tripods.

    Sam
    Samuel Paik, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Dave Brown

    Koen Guest

    If the price matters I would suggest the velbon maxi 347E, it is a nice
    tripod for a low price:
    http://www.velbon.com.au/maxi347E.html

    Koen

    Koen, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Dave Brown

    Mark Johnson Guest

    (Dave Brown) wrote:

    >I would really like to get a versatile, light, portable tripod for my
    >treks into the woods and hills. Can you folks suggest some good ones
    >to look at. Light weight and portability is important, but I really
    >want it to provide stability as well...

    Check out a used Slik Pro on ebay. I think they had aluminum and then
    went to carbon fibre. But I'm not sure. And if so, I don't know that
    it would make much difference if they did. But see what's described
    there. There's also the Slik U212, which many people seem to like -
    their 'universal' tripod.
    Mark Johnson, Dec 9, 2003
  6. (Dave Brown) writes:

    > I would really like to get a versatile, light, portable tripod for my
    > treks into the woods and hills. Can you folks suggest some good ones
    > to look at. Light weight and portability is important, but I really
    > want it to provide stability as well...

    Depending on where you hike, something like an Ultrapod-II tabletop tripod
    which has a builtin velcro strap for attaching to trees might give you the
    stabality without the overhead of a longer tripod.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Dec 9, 2003