Lifecycle of the 10D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
    expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?

    The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
    a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
    announced.

    Just hedging my bets...


    paul
     
    Paul, Sep 22, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. I don't feel it really matters, Paul. The 10D will not be the "end of
    the line" by any means, but it's an excellent camera in nearly every
    respect and should last for many years of use. It hits a plateau of
    quality, performance and functionality that is well worth it.

    I got mine last week after months of watching the discussions and
    issues come and go. I am pleased with it, very pleased: it is
    everything I expected and more.

    Just be ready for the expenditure and don't worry too much. You will
    need good lenses, enough memory, batteries, etc to make it sing.

    Godfrey


    In article <3f6f277e$>, Paul <> wrote:

    > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
    > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
    >
    > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
    > a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
    > announced.
    >
    > Just hedging my bets...
    >
    >
    > paul
    >
    >
     
    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Sep 22, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Paul" <> wrote in news:3f6f277e$:

    > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
    > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
    >
    > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and
    > I have a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new
    > model is announced.
    >
    > Just hedging my bets...


    If you're buying now, that means new models will be out real soon. Thanks
    for the heads up! :)
     
    Constantinople, Sep 22, 2003
    #3
  4. Paul

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
    > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
    >
    > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
    > a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
    > announced.


    There is a Canon USA rep that checks in to one of the forums I follow. He
    states that the 10D will be around until well into next year.

    So I'm guessing it'll be discontinued by next spring :)

    Whether it's discontinued or not, it will still a great camera to own and use
    for some years to come.. Just as the D30 and D60 are still fine cameras
    despite the fact they were discontinued.
     
    Jim Townsend, Sep 22, 2003
    #4
  5. Paul

    PiZzazZ Guest

    If Canon (for the same matter, any manufacturer) can't come up with a
    upgradable CMOS for the high-end models, few will spend $7k for technology
    that improves 100% every 18 months. Particularly for the professional
    photographers who are used to keeping equipment for many many years.

    The only reason that I am still happy with my 2 MP Olympus is because it
    prints well on 8x10, which is the limit of my printer. I am considering to
    get D-Rebel because it hits the critical price point, my large investment in
    Canon lenses, and that it will do 11x14 (and acceptabel poster size) that
    will satisfy me for a long time.

    "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    > > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
    > > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
    > >
    > > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I

    have
    > > a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
    > > announced.

    >
    > There is a Canon USA rep that checks in to one of the forums I follow. He
    > states that the 10D will be around until well into next year.
    >
    > So I'm guessing it'll be discontinued by next spring :)
    >
    > Whether it's discontinued or not, it will still a great camera to own and

    use
    > for some years to come.. Just as the D30 and D60 are still fine cameras
    > despite the fact they were discontinued.
    >
    >
     
    PiZzazZ, Sep 22, 2003
    #5
  6. Paul

    jeff liss Guest

    Godfrey DiGiorgi <> wrote in message news:<220920031135348129%>...
    > I don't feel it really matters, Paul. The 10D will not be the "end of
    > the line" by any means, but it's an excellent camera in nearly every
    > respect and should last for many years of use. It hits a plateau of
    > quality, performance and functionality that is well worth it.
    >
    > I got mine last week after months of watching the discussions and
    > issues come and go. I am pleased with it, very pleased: it is
    > everything I expected and more.
    >
    > Just be ready for the expenditure and don't worry too much. You will
    > need good lenses, enough memory, batteries, etc to make it sing.
    >
    > Godfrey
    >
    >
    > In article <3f6f277e$>, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    > > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
    > > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
    > >
    > > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
    > > a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
    > > announced.
    > >
    > > Just hedging my bets...
    > >
    > >
    > > paul
    > >
    > >

    I agree with Godfrey's assessment of the 10D. You can wait for a new
    model to come out, but then you could ALWAYS be waiting for a newer
    model and never enjoy the beauty of a current camera. This one's a
    winner, so why wait? Buy it now and discover the wonders of this
    wonderful DSLR. Invest in quality glass and you'll be set for years to
    come.
    Jeff
     
    jeff liss, Sep 22, 2003
    #6
  7. "Paul" <> wrote in message news:3f6f277e$...
    > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
    > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?


    Since it took almost exactly two years for the Kodak 760/Nikon D1X level of
    expensive 6MP cameras to morph into the D100/10D/S2 level of affordable 6MP
    cameras, my bet is Sept. 2004 for the 1Ds to morph into an EOS 3 like camera
    with a 10.8MP full-frame sensor and a spot meter.

    Of course, there's always Murphy's Law. All the 300D hulllabaloo has got me
    interested, so I was thinking about a D100 + 12-24. With my luck, Canon will
    come out with the 3D within a month of my purchasing a D100, and 3D + 17-40
    is what I really want.

    > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I

    have
    > a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
    > announced.
    >
    > Just hedging my bets...


    I agree with Godfrey, though. If the lack of spot meter and wide angle don't
    bother you, the 10D is a great camera and should give you several years of
    good use.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
     
    David J. Littleboy, Sep 23, 2003
    #7
  8. Paul

    Mark B. Guest

    "PiZzazZ" <> wrote in message
    news:JCJbb.149368$...
    > If Canon (for the same matter, any manufacturer) can't come up with a
    > upgradable CMOS for the high-end models, few will spend $7k for technology
    > that improves 100% every 18 months. Particularly for the professional
    > photographers who are used to keeping equipment for many many years.
    >


    It's not just the sensor. Many times, the processing engine is upgraded as
    well because it's optimized around the sensor.

    Mark
     
    Mark B., Sep 23, 2003
    #8
  9. Paul

    Stewy Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:3f6f277e$...
    > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
    > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
    >
    > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I

    have
    > a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
    > announced.
    >

    What are you dis-satisfied with, Effective pixels? price? Lenses? Weight?

    The 10D is a great camera at far more affordable price than the rest of the
    DSLRs, but if you're going to be unhappy with it from Day 1, I'd advise
    spending a lot more money buying one of those more expensive ones which
    probably won't be upgraded for sometime to come.

    Take a look at www.yodobashi.com This is a electronics store in Osaka,
    Japan, all in Japanese but relatively easy to navigate if you have Japanese
    language support (this is where the Mac comes into its own) take a look at
    the Japanese prices - this is a very effective guide to which cameras are
    not being upgraded soon (low discount price) and those which are (40-50%
    discount from RRP)
     
    Stewy, Sep 23, 2003
    #9
  10. Paul

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (jeff liss) wrote:

    >Invest in quality glass and you'll be set for years to
    >come.


    This is an important point. When I bought my 10D body, I thought about
    how much it cost. After buying a round of lenses, and then some better
    lenses, the body is nothing, really. If a full-sensor 12mp Canon DSLR
    came out next year for $2000, then I'd have two bodies. The new one
    would specialize in wide-angle shooting.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
     
    , Sep 23, 2003
    #10
  11. Paul

    sushi master Guest

    True. The sensor is most likely integrated with the processor and memory on
    the same board anyway.

    The point is, if you do not give your high end customer a path to upgrade,
    few will be willing to buy a bullet proof design only to be obsolete in two
    years.

    "Mark B." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "PiZzazZ" <> wrote in message
    > news:JCJbb.149368$...
    > > If Canon (for the same matter, any manufacturer) can't come up with a
    > > upgradable CMOS for the high-end models, few will spend $7k for

    technology
    > > that improves 100% every 18 months. Particularly for the professional
    > > photographers who are used to keeping equipment for many many years.
    > >

    >
    > It's not just the sensor. Many times, the processing engine is upgraded

    as
    > well because it's optimized around the sensor.
    >
    > Mark
    >
    >
    >
     
    sushi master, Sep 23, 2003
    #11
  12. Paul

    Junque Guest

    In article <3f6f277e$>, Paul <> writes
    >So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
    >expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
    >
    >The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
    >a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
    >announced.
    >
    >Just hedging my bets...


    Of course there will be a new model, wait till it is out and buy a 10D
    at the "clear-out" price to save money; it will do exactly what a 10D
    does now, in fact it will still do exactly what a 10D does in ten years
    time.
    --
    Ian - to reply directly use ian (at) newbrain (dot) demon (dot) co (dot) uk
     
    Junque, Sep 23, 2003
    #12
  13. Paul

    Mark B. Guest

    "sushi master" <> wrote in message
    news:alQbb.155412$...
    > True. The sensor is most likely integrated with the processor and memory

    on
    > the same board anyway.
    >
    > The point is, if you do not give your high end customer a path to upgrade,
    > few will be willing to buy a bullet proof design only to be obsolete in

    two
    > years.
    >


    I don't understand why anyone feels their digicam would be 'obsolete' in 2
    years. Does it stop working because there's something new & shiny on the
    market? My nearly 2 year old D30 still works fine despite being 2
    generations old. If I could afford the 1Ds, I'm pretty sure 11mp would
    satisfy me for quite some time.

    Mark
     
    Mark B., Sep 23, 2003
    #13
  14. Paul

    Not Very Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:46:52 -0700, "Paul" <> wrote:

    > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
    > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
    >
    > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
    > a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
    > announced.


    I'd reckon 18-24 months.

    Unless you are a pro, the 10D will do what you want it to do for many years to
    come. So buy with confidence.

    Life is short, enjoy it while you can. :)
     
    Not Very, Sep 23, 2003
    #14
  15. Not Very <> writes:
    > I'd reckon 18-24 months.
    >
    > Unless you are a pro, the 10D will do what you want it to do for many years to
    > come. So buy with confidence.


    Also, it's an SLR---invest some money in some good lenses, and you can
    still use those lenses when you upgrade.

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta

    http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
     
    Richard Kaszeta, Sep 23, 2003
    #15
  16. Paul

    PiZzazZ Guest

    The only problem with your D30 is that it has half the the resolution of
    D300 (which is not even in the same league as D30), and its price has
    dropped to 1/4 of what you paid for in two years.
    >
    > I don't understand why anyone feels their digicam would be 'obsolete' in 2
    > years. Does it stop working because there's something new & shiny on the
    > market? My nearly 2 year old D30 still works fine despite being 2
    > generations old. If I could afford the 1Ds, I'm pretty sure 11mp would
    > satisfy me for quite some time.
    >
    > Mark
    >
    >
     
    PiZzazZ, Sep 23, 2003
    #16
  17. Paul

    Kenny Guest

    "PiZzazZ" <> wrote in message
    news:sVYbb.155717$...
    > The only problem with your D30 is that it has half the the resolution

    of
    > D300 (which is not even in the same league as D30), and its price has
    > dropped to 1/4 of what you paid for in two years.



    The element you are missing is - did the user get the value to him/her
    for the amount of depreciation? You can not simply go on the basis of a
    camera cost you X amount and two years later its only worth Y. In that
    period of time you most likely will have had the money's worth of
    enjoyment, or for the pro photogs some derived income.

    Resolution isn't everything. The 1D is still the best sports camera for
    pros at only 4mp and guess how many MP's the new Nikon answer to the 1D
    has?

    Kenny
     
    Kenny, Sep 23, 2003
    #17
  18. Paul

    PiZzazZ Guest

    Sure. There will always people with enough money and excitement to buy the
    latest and best. But few people can build a business case to justify buying
    a $7k camera that amortizes over two years.

    Most high-end users expects to keep the equipment for years without losing
    much of it value or competitive edge. In the past despite of electronic
    instruments in the camera, there was always a market for old but solidly
    build cameras because any electronic instruments could be compensated by
    experience and external meters. But when you come to digital cameras, there
    is no compensation for pixel density.

    Unless the camera architecture is upgradable, few will be interested a
    digital SLR with a mechanical lifetime of 20 years.



    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    news:3f7079d5$0$269$...
    >
    > "PiZzazZ" <> wrote in message
    > news:sVYbb.155717$...
    > > The only problem with your D30 is that it has half the the resolution

    > of
    > > D300 (which is not even in the same league as D30), and its price has
    > > dropped to 1/4 of what you paid for in two years.

    >
    >
    > The element you are missing is - did the user get the value to him/her
    > for the amount of depreciation? You can not simply go on the basis of a
    > camera cost you X amount and two years later its only worth Y. In that
    > period of time you most likely will have had the money's worth of
    > enjoyment, or for the pro photogs some derived income.
    >
    > Resolution isn't everything. The 1D is still the best sports camera for
    > pros at only 4mp and guess how many MP's the new Nikon answer to the 1D
    > has?
    >
    > Kenny
    >
    >
     
    PiZzazZ, Sep 23, 2003
    #18
  19. Not Very wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:46:52 -0700, "Paul" <> wrote:
    >
    > > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
    > > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
    > >
    > > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D
    > > and I have a history of buying the latest and greatest a week
    > > before a new model is announced.

    >
    > I'd reckon 18-24 months.
    >
    > Unless you are a pro, the 10D will do what you want it to do for many
    > years to come. So buy with confidence.
    >
    > Life is short, enjoy it while you can. :)


    Why not the 300D/Rebel?

    I just got one and for about $600 cheaper then the 10D. Granted the
    10D has some advantages, but I have enough control with the 300D/Rebel
    to do what I want. I can always upgrade in a couple years to the
    32MPixel when it comes out. :)

    --
    Gordon Niessen
    If you aren't on the bleeding edge, you are history.
     
    Gordon Niessen, Sep 23, 2003
    #19
  20. Paul

    Mark B. Guest

    "PiZzazZ" <> wrote in message
    news:sVYbb.155717$...
    > The only problem with your D30 is that it has half the the resolution of
    > D300 (which is not even in the same league as D30), and its price has
    > dropped to 1/4 of what you paid for in two years.
    > >


    Your point being what? As I said, it still takes fantastic pictures. You
    won't see much difference if any between an 8x10 from my D30 and one from
    the 300D. As for depreciation, that's expected.

    Mark
     
    Mark B., Sep 24, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. neil

    Quotes for lifecycle

    neil, Mar 6, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,419
  2. Lionel

    Cheap studio lights (was:Re: 10D Flash question)

    Lionel, Jul 1, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    2,098
    zcream
    Jun 22, 2007
  3. Joseph Meehan

    Re: Lifecycle of a camera

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 3, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    311
    Eigenvector
    Sep 5, 2003
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Tm9zcGFtYm96?=

    XP x64 lifecycle tied to XP or Windows Server?

    =?Utf-8?B?Tm9zcGFtYm96?=, Jan 15, 2007, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    845
    Colin Barnhorst
    Jan 16, 2007
  5. Rob J

    Microsoft Product Support Lifecycle

    Rob J, Jun 30, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    335
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Jul 17, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page