    --
    James V. Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland, USA
    James Silverton, Apr 3, 2004

  2. James Silverton

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "James Silverton" <> wrote in news:406efa36$0
    $3055$:

    > Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
    > cartridges last while not actually being used?

    I have a printer which I use occasionally and the cartridge on the printer
    lasts for approximately 1 - 1.5 years! I had my printer sit in storage for
    4 - 5 months at a time (and in sub-zero temperatures too!).

    Life span depends on many factors like the temperature and humidity in your
    area.

    Clogging is more of an issue but again this is dependent on climate. I live
    in Toronto which is relatively dry and had never had any issues with
    clogging on my printer.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Apr 3, 2004

  3. James Silverton

    Jay Bollyn Guest

    "James Silverton" <> wrote in message
    >I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
    > photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
    > covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
    > intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
    > printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
    > work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
    > cartridges last while not actually being used?
    > TIA,
    > --
    > James V. Silverton
    > Potomac, Maryland, USA

    James,

    I agree with Lucas' earlier comments.

    In addition, the most important factor regarding intermittent ink jet use is
    to be absolutely sure to power the printer off STRICTLY by pressing the
    power-off button on the printer itself. Never by some other means such as a
    power strip. This is because cheaper ink jets seal the ink cartridges ONLY
    when the printer power-off button is pressed.

    More expensive ink jets often seal the ink cartridges when not in use, so
    pressing the printer power-off button is not so critical, but it is a good
    habit to get into anyway.

    You might want to check with the group when you have tentatively decided on
    your mfr/model, for a final thumbs up/down.

    -- Jay
    Jay Bollyn, Apr 3, 2004
  4. James Silverton

    chibitul Guest

    In article <406efa36$0$3055$>,
    "James Silverton" <> wrote:

    > I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
    > photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
    > covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
    > intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
    > printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
    > work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
    > cartridges last while not actually being used?
    >
    > TIA,

    one piece of advice based only on my own personal experience (although
    there are plenty of people claiming the opposite :)

    Stay away from Epson. They use a piezzo nozzle which seems to clog way
    too often. This was my experience with Epson Stylus 740, OEM cartridges,
    used just like you say, every now and then. I had to clean it so often
    that I decided to try 3-rd party cartridges (couldn't afort the EPSON
    ones) and now I use windex to unclog it. I am considering a Canon 960,
    since I heard good things about it, and many owners swear that their
    Canons don't clog... Epson had it's chance with me, now I will give
    Canon a try...
    chibitul, Apr 4, 2004
  5. James Silverton

    jean Guest

    "chibitul" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > In article <406efa36$0$3055$>,
    > "James Silverton" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
    > > photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
    > > covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
    > > intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
    > > printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
    > > work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
    > > cartridges last while not actually being used?
    > >
    > > TIA,

    > one piece of advice based only on my own personal experience (although
    > there are plenty of people claiming the opposite :)
    >
    > Stay away from Epson. They use a piezzo nozzle which seems to clog way
    > too often. This was my experience with Epson Stylus 740, OEM cartridges,
    > used just like you say, every now and then. I had to clean it so often
    > that I decided to try 3-rd party cartridges (couldn't afort the EPSON
    > ones) and now I use windex to unclog it. I am considering a Canon 960,
    > since I heard good things about it, and many owners swear that their
    > Canons don't clog... Epson had it's chance with me, now I will give
    > Canon a try...

    (sorry for shouting but...)

    *** DON'T EVER USE WINDEX TO CLEAN CANON PRINTHEADS ***

    I ruined my BJC-8200's head by dunking it in windex. Now I just dunk it in
    demineralized water and that does the job.

    Also for soem strange reason, I have no problem refilling all the color
    cartriges with my i950 but for the black ones, only new cartriges will work.
    I have purchased two different formulas but the black still clogs.

    Jean
    jean, Apr 4, 2004
  6. James Silverton

    chibitul Guest

    In article <1oLbc.3388$>,
    "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote:

    > "chibitul" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > > In article <406efa36$0$3055$>,
    > > "James Silverton" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
    > > > photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
    > > > covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
    > > > intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
    > > > printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
    > > > work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
    > > > cartridges last while not actually being used?
    > > >
    > > > TIA,

    > > one piece of advice based only on my own personal experience (although
    > > there are plenty of people claiming the opposite :)
    > >
    > > Stay away from Epson. They use a piezzo nozzle which seems to clog way
    > > too often. This was my experience with Epson Stylus 740, OEM cartridges,
    > > used just like you say, every now and then. I had to clean it so often
    > > that I decided to try 3-rd party cartridges (couldn't afort the EPSON
    > > ones) and now I use windex to unclog it. I am considering a Canon 960,
    > > since I heard good things about it, and many owners swear that their
    > > Canons don't clog... Epson had it's chance with me, now I will give
    > > Canon a try...

    > (sorry for shouting but...)
    >
    > *** DON'T EVER USE WINDEX TO CLEAN CANON PRINTHEADS ***

    *** NO PROBLEM, SHOUT AS LOUD AS YOU WANT, THIS IS USENET***

    > I ruined my BJC-8200's head by dunking it in windex. Now I just dunk it in
    > demineralized water and that does the job.

    I said *Epson*, but I was not aware about this problem with Canon heads.
    Thanks for shouting. From I have read at steves digicams, the head of
    Canon 860 (and maybe, maybe 960) is detachable, so cleaning in water
    shouldbe very easy (unlike Epson 740, where youhave to take the entire
    printer apart)

    just curious, what did you do after "ruining" the head? did you buy
    another head or another printer? cause if it's the same head, it's not
    really ruined, is it?

    chibitul, Apr 4, 2004
  7. James Silverton

    Clyde Guest

    chibitul wrote:
    > In article <406efa36$0$3055$>,
    > "James Silverton" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
    >>photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
    >>covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
    >>intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
    >>printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
    >>work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
    >>cartridges last while not actually being used?
    >>
    >>TIA,

    > one piece of advice based only on my own personal experience (although
    > there are plenty of people claiming the opposite :)
    >
    > Stay away from Epson. They use a piezzo nozzle which seems to clog way
    > too often. This was my experience with Epson Stylus 740, OEM cartridges,
    > used just like you say, every now and then. I had to clean it so often
    > that I decided to try 3-rd party cartridges (couldn't afort the EPSON
    > ones) and now I use windex to unclog it. I am considering a Canon 960,
    > since I heard good things about it, and many owners swear that their
    > Canons don't clog... Epson had it's chance with me, now I will give
    > Canon a try...

    My Epson 870 doesn't clog. I leave it on all the time and it just
    doesn't clog. Sometimes I print a lot, other times I can go weeks
    between printing.

    Clyde
    Clyde, Apr 4, 2004
  8. James Silverton

    jean Guest

    > > I ruined my BJC-8200's head by dunking it in windex. Now I just dunk it
    in
    > > demineralized water and that does the job.

    > I said *Epson*, but I was not aware about this problem with Canon heads.
    > Thanks for shouting. From I have read at steves digicams, the head of
    > Canon 860 (and maybe, maybe 960) is detachable, so cleaning in water
    > shouldbe very easy (unlike Epson 740, where youhave to take the entire
    > printer apart)
    >
    > just curious, what did you do after "ruining" the head? did you buy
    > another head or another printer? cause if it's the same head, it's not
    > really ruined, is it?

    A new head was close to $200 and a new printer with twice the resolution
    only $100 more, easy decision to make. The 8200's head is a completely
    different design than the i950 sad to say no parts were interchangeable.
    Windex has all kinds of chemicals in it and I guess some of them etched the
    litthe jets bigger and the printer could not print any small detail, the
    print looked fuzzy.

    Live and learn

    Jean
    jean, Apr 5, 2004
  9. "James Silverton" <> wrote in message
    > I am in the middle of deciding on an inkjet printer for my own
    > photographs. The topics of color accuracy and cost seem to be well
    > covered but it occurs to me that my use of the printer would be
    > intermittent. There would probably be periods of weeks when the
    > printer would not be in use since I use a laser printer for textual
    > work. Does anyone have any experience of how long opened ink
    > cartridges last while not actually being used?
    >
    > TIA,
    >

    > --
    > James V. Silverton
    > Potomac, Maryland, USA

    The HP printers are very good in that respect. On occasion, if the printer
    sits unused for a VERY long time, you can take out the cartridges and put
    the printheads in a shallow water pan for a few minutes, then run a test
    print. Most printers have the printhead separate form the cartridge, and
    not accessible for cleaning when they plug up.

    My HP printer does a superior job of text printing also.
    Marvin Margoshes, Apr 8, 2004