    that. The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you
    decide - as I have - that they are not, the next question becomes, 'Do I
    really want to do business with, to trust my business to, a company like that?'"

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 4, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
    >
    > The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.

    Old hat.

    But clueless trolls like you will keep on dredging up antique stuff like
    this since youi don't have anything better to do.

    RJ, Mar 4, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:24:59 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    exclaimed:

    >http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
    >
    >The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.
    >
    >Facinating!

    Wow, you really hate MS, don't you?

    Most people have a preference. You have an irrational hatred.

    You should probably seek help...

    Fred Dagg, Mar 4, 2006
  4. On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:27:32 +1300, RJ wrote:

    >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
    >> The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.

    > Old hat.
    >
    > But clueless trolls like you will keep on dredging up antique stuff like
    > this since youi don't have anything better to do.

    I only found it today.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
    it does all the things that they want."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 4, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Peter Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:24:59 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    > exclaimed:
    >>http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
    >>The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.
    >>

    > Wow, you really hate MS, don't you?

    It has been established at court that Microsoft is guilty of unlawful abuse
    of its monopoly position. Reports of their behaviour shows how MS rips off
    their customers, shuts out competition and stifles innovation.

    Some people think this sort of selfish, anti-social behaviour is not
    acceptable. I don't hate Microsoft any more than I hate murderers, rapists
    and terrorists, it is just that some types of behaviour are not acceptable.

    See also ...
    http://www.kmfms.com/whatsbad.html
    http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm
    http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml
    http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 4, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Crains Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:22:22 +1300, Fred Dagg <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:24:59 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    >exclaimed:
    >
    >>http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
    >>
    >>The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.
    >>
    >>Facinating!
    >>

    >Wow, you really hate MS, don't you?
    >
    >Most people have a preference. You have an irrational hatred.
    >
    >You should probably seek help...

    Its not just a hatred of Microsoft, but a irrational obsession with
    Linux as well.

    Crains, Mar 4, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:27:32 +1300, RJ wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
    >>
    >> The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.

    > Old hat.
    >
    > But clueless trolls like you will keep on dredging up antique stuff like
    > this since youi don't have anything better to do.

    Took the bait eh?

    Gordon, Mar 4, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    > > On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:24:59 +1300, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    > > exclaimed:
    > >>http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/
    > >>The reality behind the PR veil at Micro$oft.
    > >>

    > > Wow, you really hate MS, don't you?

    > It has been established at court that Microsoft is guilty of unlawful abuse
    > of its monopoly position.

    No. They were not found to have a monopoly position or to be a monopoly.
    They were found to be capable of exerting monopoly power (big
    difference).

    > Reports of their behaviour shows how MS rips off
    > their customers, shuts out competition and stifles innovation.

    You are a government employee, aren't you? And governments like to be
    monopolies and to behave just the same way when it suits them.

    RJ, Mar 4, 2006
  9. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Peter Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >> It has been established at court that Microsoft is guilty of unlawful
    >> abuse of its monopoly position.

    > No. They were not found to have a monopoly position or to be a monopoly.
    > They were found to be capable of exerting monopoly power (big
    > difference).

    Might be a big difference for lawyers, but there is no difference for us
    consumers out here in the real world. Recently I asked about buying a new
    PC at a local computer store, and the owner told me he was "not allowed" to
    sell a computer without Microsoft Windows installed. He offered to wipe
    the hard disk for me, but I would still have to pay for a copy of Windows.
    Sounds very much like one of those unlawful anti-competitive type contracts
    to me.

    > You are a government employee, aren't you? And governments like to be
    > monopolies and to behave just the same way when it suits them.

    No, you're wrong there, too - I'm not a government employee.
    Anyway, bad performance by governments (or any other body) in no way
    justifies unlawful and unethical behaviour on the part of Microsoft.

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 4, 2006
  10. On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 23:14:18 +1300, RJ wrote:

    > You are a government employee, aren't you? And governments like to be
    > monopolies and to behave just the same way when it suits them.

    In case you hadn't noticed it, but our government is the sovereign power
    in the kingdom of New Zealand.

    That means it not only exercises monopolistic power, but it in fact IS a
    monopoly.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 4, 2006
  11. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Mercury Guest

    <snip>

    > Recently I asked about buying a new
    > PC at a local computer store, and the owner told me he was "not allowed"
    > sell a computer without Microsoft Windows installed. He offered to wipe
    > the hard disk for me, but I would still have to pay for a copy of Windows.
    > Sounds very much like one of those unlawful anti-competitive type
    > contracts
    > to me.

    Don't put up with that crap! If you want a computer without OS then insist &
    if they can't or won't supply for any BS reason they suggest then tell them
    you are taking you business elsewhere. Stand up for yourself....

    If you want advice and guidance on where to get what at good prices without
    OS then post back here and I am sure many will offer help.

    It is utter BS about "Not Allowed". MS has no part in this and any retailer
    that suggests they do are deliberately misleading you to the point of
    criminality. The only thing that may encumber them is that 100% of their
    systems come pre-installed due to their own market perceptions of what is
    required.

    I and very many others have abolutely no issue getting systems without an OS
    pre-installed. I tend to buy desktop systems for customers with XP
    pre-installed - not always as sometimes they are replacement machines and
    the old is being dumped with the OS license legitimately being transferred
    to a new empty box. For servers, we invariably have the licenses already.

    The "Not Allowed" claim is more a BS based myth than anything.

    When a system is built, very often the target OS is installed to facilitate
    the h/w build and testing. IE to prove that the system works out of the box
    and also to reduce immediate after sales issues for the drips that say No OS
    and actually need one or in reality don't have a clue how to set one up
    correctly. In those situations, the system builder can legitimately use a 90
    day Trial copy of whatever XP. But this still has a small cost for them as
    usually a pro-system builder will be cloning a Pre-Install copy of XP that
    only needs its final boot and activation and so on. So, there can be a minor
    cost / inconvenience as it is out of the ordinary. In a small shop that is
    not a licensed MS system builder, none of this applies as they won't have
    access to the special CD's etc anyway.

    Mercury, Mar 5, 2006
  12. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Peter Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    >> Recently I asked about buying a new
    >> PC at a local computer store, and the owner told me he was "not allowed"
    >> sell a computer without Microsoft Windows installed. He offered to wipe
    >> the hard disk for me, but I would still have to pay for a copy of
    >> Windows. Sounds very much like one of those unlawful anti-competitive
    >> type contracts to me.

    > Don't put up with that crap! If you want a computer without OS then insist
    > & if they can't or won't supply for any BS reason they suggest then tell
    > them you are taking you business elsewhere. Stand up for yourself....

    I agree. The point is that Windows is the only OS available to most
    customers, mainly because they don't even know of any alternatives, and
    because most sales staff tell them that Windows is the only OS available.

    I have bought bare systems before and will again.

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 5, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > RJ wrote:
    > > In article <>, says...
    > >> It has been established at court that Microsoft is guilty of unlawful
    > >> abuse of its monopoly position.

    > > No. They were not found to have a monopoly position or to be a monopoly.
    > > They were found to be capable of exerting monopoly power (big
    > > difference).

    > Might be a big difference for lawyers, but there is no difference for us
    > consumers out here in the real world. Recently I asked about buying a new
    > PC at a local computer store, and the owner told me he was "not allowed" to
    > sell a computer without Microsoft Windows installed. He offered to wipe
    > the hard disk for me, but I would still have to pay for a copy of Windows.
    > Sounds very much like one of those unlawful anti-competitive type contracts
    > to me.
    >
    > > You are a government employee, aren't you? And governments like to be
    > > monopolies and to behave just the same way when it suits them.

    > No, you're wrong there, too - I'm not a government employee.

    Wrong peter (and can't either of you come up with a different screen
    name from the other?

    RJ, Mar 5, 2006
  14. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 08:11:38 +1300, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >RJ wrote:
    >> In article <>, says...
    >>> It has been established at court that Microsoft is guilty of unlawful
    >>> abuse of its monopoly position.

    >> No. They were not found to have a monopoly position or to be a monopoly.
    >> They were found to be capable of exerting monopoly power (big
    >> difference).

    >Might be a big difference for lawyers, but there is no difference for us
    >consumers out here in the real world. Recently I asked about buying a new
    >PC at a local computer store, and the owner told me he was "not allowed" to
    >sell a computer without Microsoft Windows installed. He offered to wipe
    >the hard disk for me, but I would still have to pay for a copy of Windows.

    What was the store?

    Craig Shore, Mar 5, 2006