Lie to Netflix about your DVD arrival dates!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gunter Gilliott, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. I have used Netflix for at least since last fall. Suddenly while I was
    out of town I received an email asking about receipt of a DVD that had
    been sitting in my mailbox. So after returning home and viewing it (and
    not replying, of course), another DVD was delivered and an email query
    was again sent. This time I answered truthfully.

    Stupid mistake.

    I live 20 miles from their distribution warehouse and consistently got
    DVDs in overnight fashion. I used to see around 6-10 DVDs rambling
    through my player each week, depending on whether I took the effort to
    run to the central PO to return them.

    Now, they have throttled back shipments. I may get 5 per week. Usually
    its around up to 4 or so. Wal- Mart's service is now faster than Netfux
    since they throttled back, and I have responded to them via email
    suggesting that if they continue to delay shipment that I will
    terminate service and bail to Wal- Mart. I'll give them 2 more weeks to
    see what happens. But I have the feeling they won't improve.

    I guess it shows that sometimes it doesn't pay to be truthful. Hell,
    lie about it. If it's on time, say it's 2 days later when you receive
    it. They're just trying to increase their profit margin, because think
    what would happen if they delayed disk shipment by 1/3rd... Savings of
    all the postal costs and man-hours is significant.

    Make sure to spread the word about this. It's not fair that they tell
    you how prompt they are with shipping and then deliberately delay
    shipment like that.

    But if you want to be good cub scouts, always tell the truth. You may
    get half the service you had paid for and deserve, but at least you'll
    sleep better at night, eh? I'm sure that Netfux has no problem sleeping
    at night when they take your money and delay your service.

    Anyway, I did not spellcheck this, there may be a word or two I
    misspelled.
    Gunter Gilliott, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Gunter Gilliott

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <040620042103224791%>, Gunter
    Gilliott <> wrote:

    > I have used Netflix for at least since last fall. Suddenly while I was
    > out of town I received an email asking about receipt of a DVD that had
    > been sitting in my mailbox. So after returning home and viewing it (and
    > not replying, of course), another DVD was delivered and an email query
    > was again sent. This time I answered truthfully.

    If they already don't know how many dvds they mail to you in a month,
    nothing you tell them will help them save money.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Jun 5, 2004

  3. I think there was an article linked to from slashdot where a guy figured out
    the Netflix must give priority to new accounts. I live in TN and when I
    started out with Netflix they were really good, got my selections within a
    day or two and always what was at the top of my list. About 6 months later
    it was taking 5 or more days to get my selection from them and I never could
    get anything on my list.

    My mom, who delivers mail, recently commented to me that when she notices
    someone on her route start netflix, they uselly end it around 6 months as
    well. So your trouble may have more to do with that than anything else.

    Mike
    Michael C. Neel, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Gunter Gilliott

    W.K.M. Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 01:03:24 GMT, Gunter Gilliott <> wrote:

    >I have used Netflix for at least since last fall. Suddenly while I was
    >out of town I received an email asking about receipt of a DVD that had
    >been sitting in my mailbox. So after returning home and viewing it (and
    >not replying, of course), another DVD was delivered and an email query
    >was again sent. This time I answered truthfully.
    >
    >Stupid mistake.
    >
    >I live 20 miles from their distribution warehouse and consistently got
    >DVDs in overnight fashion. I used to see around 6-10 DVDs rambling
    >through my player each week, depending on whether I took the effort to
    >run to the central PO to return them.
    >
    >Now, they have throttled back shipments. I may get 5 per week. Usually
    >its around up to 4 or so. Wal- Mart's service is now faster than Netfux
    >since they throttled back, and I have responded to them via email
    >suggesting that if they continue to delay shipment that I will
    >terminate service and bail to Wal- Mart. I'll give them 2 more weeks to
    >see what happens. But I have the feeling they won't improve.
    >
    >I guess it shows that sometimes it doesn't pay to be truthful. Hell,
    >lie about it. If it's on time, say it's 2 days later when you receive
    >it. They're just trying to increase their profit margin, because think
    >what would happen if they delayed disk shipment by 1/3rd... Savings of
    >all the postal costs and man-hours is significant.
    >
    >Make sure to spread the word about this. It's not fair that they tell
    >you how prompt they are with shipping and then deliberately delay
    >shipment like that.
    >
    >But if you want to be good cub scouts, always tell the truth. You may
    >get half the service you had paid for and deserve, but at least you'll
    >sleep better at night, eh? I'm sure that Netfux has no problem sleeping
    >at night when they take your money and delay your service.
    >
    >Anyway, I did not spellcheck this, there may be a word or two I
    >misspelled.

    I've been with Netflix for about 3 years and consistently get my discs within 3 days. Very seldom has it
    been longer than that. I live 150 miles from their nearest distribution center.

    Claire D. Lune
    W.K.M., Jun 5, 2004
  5. Gunter Gilliott

    *muffin* Guest

    where is a listing of their distribution centers?

    *muffin*, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Gunter Gilliott

    Joe Kaffe Guest

    http://www.portable-dvd-player.ws/Articles/Netflix-Distribution-Centers

    Joe Kaffe, Jun 5, 2004
  7. Ive never had a problem with netflix either. I live in houston and a
    distribution center is located there. They receive them the next day and mail
    another the same day. Ive had netflix for 3 years. maybe the people having
    problems have crappy post offices.

    SpiderManHouston, Jun 5, 2004
  8. I have been an 8 at a time member for about a year. The service gradually
    improved then regressed. I am seriously considering going back to 3 at a
    time. Sometimes there is over a full week turnaround. (It is not just the
    post office's fault.)

    BushIsaDangerousBuffoon, Jul 7, 2004
  9. "BushIsaDangerousBuffoon" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have been an 8 at a time member for about a year. The service gradually
    > improved then regressed. I am seriously considering going back to 3 at a
    > time. Sometimes there is over a full week turnaround. (It is not just the
    > post office's fault.)

    I feel the post office is at fault. I've noticed if I mail back disks
    from my workplace's outgoing mailbox the turnaround for new disks is
    longer than when I mail them from my hometown post office one town
    over. I've had them go for a 10-day turnaround back to back twice a
    couple months ago. I've noticed if I mail from the post office's
    mailbox more than the workplace one I get faster turnaround.

    Joseph Phillips, Jul 8, 2004