Licensed CPU support information on OEM product purchase.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJhdGNoZXI=?=, May 16, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I wish to purchase a version of windows 64bit OEM, but the suppliers can
    not tell me how many CPU's the product will support.

    How can this information be found on the package so that I can get the
    correct version for the machine I intend to build?

    Just so you have the information, I intend to use a Tyan K8WE dual cpu
    motherboard. I intend to use single core amd's for the moment but when the
    dual core become available at a realistic price I will be upgrading to twin
    dual core amd's. So I will need a version that supports two physical cpu
    each with 2 cores.

    I am not clear as to if you are counting a dual core cpu as a single cpu
    license for windows ?

    If you could let me know how to discover this information, so I can
    inform any provider of software the correct information for them to send the
    correct version of your product.

    Thanks,
    Peter Bratcher

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJhdGNoZXI=?=, May 16, 2005

  2. Yes, Windows XP Professional Edition supports 2 processors and are licensed
    per socket and not per core.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 16, 2005

  3. If you read the newsgroup before posting, you'll discover that this has been
    thoroughly discussed. And the answer is that it is per socket, not per core.
    So you're fine.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 16, 2005
  4. Charlie, what do you use to search the newsgroups?

    Andre Da Costa, May 17, 2005
  5. OE. Since I always download everything, I have what I need here. Shift-F3 for
    find message in this folder and search on a key word I know is in there. It's
    not nice, but it works. For all other searches, I use DQSD (Dave's Quick
    Search Deskbar). Doesn't run on x64 yet, anywhere except my personal x64
    machine. ;) But a fellow MVP is working on it, and we've actually got it
    actually running on x64. Just some packaging issues, and he'll resolve those
    shortly. DQSD is simply the best search front end I've ever used. It reminds
    me of my favourite editor - vi -- in that I keep learning new things it will
    do, and new tricks to make it do things better.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 17, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJhdGNoZXI=?=

    Randy Guest

    Of course, one could also simply do a google groups search directly...

    Randy, May 17, 2005