License? am I going to be beat for the activation key?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    This message has been cross-posted to at least one other NG

    Hello,

    A customer of mine has Microsoft Works installed onto their Dell Dimension
    4300S, running Windows XP HE.

    The computer is totally bolloxed up, and may need a reformat/re-install.
    There is a valid Windows XP Pruduct Key attached to the case. The original,
    proprietary Dell installation disks, three (3) in all, are here, also. So,
    there is no problem
    re-installing XP, properly and legally.

    The customer has provided me with the disks, Works Suite 2002, disks 1 thru
    5. Only, the disks are in their individual envelopes, and there is no
    "service" or "activation" tag provided, with the envelopes, or the disks
    themselves.

    Certainly, I am able to set the computer up, but how can I know, before I
    begin to know, if the Works installation will prompt me to enter a valid
    "service" or "validation" number? Sometimes, they do, as I recall,
    sometimes, they don't.

    I am not looking to sabotage Microsoft's validation scheme, I only want to
    know if I begin the proprietary Dell OS and then Works re-install, am I
    going to be beat for the activation code, and then not able to activate
    Works?

    Can anyone point me in a direction?

    Any responses will be much appreciated.

    Sincerely,

    smackedass

    smackedass, Mar 5, 2006

  2. smackedass

    J. Clarke Guest

    smackedass wrote:

    > This message has been cross-posted to at least one other NG
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > A customer of mine has Microsoft Works installed onto their Dell Dimension
    > 4300S, running Windows XP HE.
    >
    > The computer is totally bolloxed up, and may need a reformat/re-install.
    > There is a valid Windows XP Pruduct Key attached to the case. The
    > original,
    > proprietary Dell installation disks, three (3) in all, are here, also.
    > So, there is no problem
    > re-installing XP, properly and legally.
    >
    > The customer has provided me with the disks, Works Suite 2002, disks 1
    > thru
    > 5. Only, the disks are in their individual envelopes, and there is no
    > "service" or "activation" tag provided, with the envelopes, or the disks
    > themselves.
    >
    > Certainly, I am able to set the computer up, but how can I know, before I
    > begin to know, if the Works installation will prompt me to enter a valid
    > "service" or "validation" number? Sometimes, they do, as I recall,
    > sometimes, they don't.
    >
    > I am not looking to sabotage Microsoft's validation scheme, I only want to
    > know if I begin the proprietary Dell OS and then Works re-install, am I
    > going to be beat for the activation code, and then not able to activate
    > Works?

    It's going to want a product key that should be with the documentation
    package, not with the disks themselves.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Mar 5, 2006

  3. Mister wrote:
    > Because it is a Dell, depending on the age, if it is a newer Dell, you
    > might be able to do a full system restore in about 10 minutes.
    >
    > When the Dell screen appears press and hold the <Ctrl> key on the
    > keyboard, press the <F11> key, then release them both at the same
    > time.
    >
    > I just performed this task this evening on a laptop that was really
    > messed up.

    Let me be one to second this approach.

    I was presented with a Dell desktop that almost appeared to be "dead".
    It woudl power on but wouldn't boot, wouldn't even recognize the hard drive.

    I figured that I had nothing to lose by trying the "Ctrl-F11 System
    Restore" option. In under 30 minutes I had the system back up and
    running again. I had to reapply Service Packs and Critical Updates but
    the system was fully functional again.

    Unfortunately, it does wipe the disk before reinstalling, so you really
    are "back to day one" as it were. All their personal data will be gone
    after the restore.

    I also had an HP desktop that has a similar "System Restore" function
    that does a non-destructive reinstall of XP. That got that system stable
    enough that I could then run the standard gamut of Anti-Malware
    utilities against it ti finish cleaning up the mess their daughter had
    made downloading music from the Internet.

    Cheers!!

    John
    --
    John P. Dearing
    A+, Network+, Server+

    John P. Dearing, Mar 5, 2006
  4. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Thank you, to all who have responded.

    You gave me lots of ideas, lots of things to think about, but most likely,
    what is going to happen is that I'll follow the consensus, and just call
    Dell! Even though that has its negative possibilities!

    Sincerely,

    smackedass

    smackedass, Mar 7, 2006