    --
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

    ~misfit~, Mar 11, 2010

  2. In article <hnaipv$ski$-september.org>,
    says...

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have a couple reasonable laptops (came with XP so not totally useless)
    > that are quite useable but they have dead batteries. Pricing up new (or even
    > second-hand) ones I see they're crazy prices! $120 for new, ~$80 for
    > second-hand, no real guarantee on remaining capacity!
    >
    > Does anyone know if it's feasible to rebuild them? Also, if so, where to get
    > the cells?
    >
    > TIA,

    http://www.open.net.nz/battery.html

    There's these guys (not tried them myself) and it looks like their
    rebuild price is similar to your new price.

    I've paid ~100 dollars to get my Panasonic drill batteries rebuilt with
    nimh cells. There's

    Batterymasta.co.nz whom I've used once, and I wasn't too happy with the
    result, they also advertise Li-Ion rebuilds.

    There's another company with a branch in Howick whom I've used, and been
    much happier with the result, but I can't be sure to remember their
    name. I _think_ it was Simpower(.co.nz).

    Personally I wouldn't buy Li-Ion batteries 2nd hand. They have a limited
    lifespan according to what I read - which is the trade-in for their not
    self-discharging as the NiXx-based accus do. So any 2nd hand one would
    have to be *seriously* cheap before I'd even think about it. The Li-Ion
    cells in our uhf radios that we use on the farm seem to have a lifespan
    of about 3 years before they croak.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 11, 2010

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <hnaipv$ski$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> I have a couple reasonable laptops (came with XP so not totally
    >> useless) that are quite useable but they have dead batteries.
    >> Pricing up new (or even second-hand) ones I see they're crazy
    >> prices! $120 for new, ~$80 for second-hand, no real guarantee on
    >> remaining capacity!
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if it's feasible to rebuild them? Also, if so,
    >> where to get the cells?
    >>
    >> TIA,

    > http://www.open.net.nz/battery.html
    >
    > There's these guys (not tried them myself) and it looks like their
    > rebuild price is similar to your new price.

    Yep. I know the guy who runs www.laptopbatteries.co.nz and he gives me his
    best price (not a huge discount considering it was I who guided him through
    his first open-case computer surgery when he was a young lad as I knew his
    dad. His Amiga 500 internal floppy drive had failed and it wouldn't boot
    from the external. I showed him how to open it up and simply swap the
    internal cables over so that the external floppy became the primary floppy.)
    Now he works full-time in a hardware company and has this business as well.

    Sorry, digression. My point is, even buying from him it's prohibitive to buy
    a new battery (he quoted me $120) for a six year old laptop that would
    probably fetch $220 on Trademe. Even though that laptop is running a Pentium
    M [Dothan, 2MB L2] 1.6GHz (roughly equal to or better than a Pentium 4
    2.8GHz for computing power IMO).

    I hate that a capable email / browsing / w/h/y machine like this is
    considered useless by the larger community because it doesn't have a working
    battery. It owes me about ~$180 so you can see that buying a battery to put
    in it with the intention of selling it doesn't make sense.

    > I've paid ~100 dollars to get my Panasonic drill batteries rebuilt
    > with nimh cells.

    That seems like a lot for Ni-MH cells. Was that for two batteries? 18V? (15
    cells per battery.) If so that's no too bad, as long as the quality of the
    cells is good, which you'll only know over time.

    Another digression, I have a Powerex / Maha MH-C900 'WizardOne' Charger /
    Analyser for AA and AAA Ni-MH and NiCad cells (it's worth a Google) that has
    five modes of operation and really looks after my cells. For instance, every
    five charges I do a remaining charge / discharge / recharge cycle which
    makes sure that the cells are being fully 'exercised' but also gives a
    readout of each cell's capacity which is handy if you're using two cells
    together so that you can match pairs.

    My point is, this whole thing is based around (probably) a couple of
    microprocessors and likely, from my experience since I went from a 'dumb'
    charger (but using what I thought was good practices w/r/t cell care), at
    least triples the life of the cells. You'd think that the better quality
    (more expensive) cordless tools would have a similar capability built into
    their charging base huh?

    > There's Batterymasta.co.nz whom I've used once, and I wasn't too happy
    > with
    > the result, they also advertise Li-Ion rebuilds.

    Ok, thanks, I'll have a look in a while.

    > There's another company with a branch in Howick whom I've used, and
    > been much happier with the result, but I can't be sure to remember
    > their name. I _think_ it was Simpower(.co.nz).

    Again, thanks.

    > Personally I wouldn't buy Li-Ion batteries 2nd hand. They have a
    > limited lifespan according to what I read - which is the trade-in for
    > their not self-discharging as the NiXx-based accus do. So any 2nd
    > hand one would have to be *seriously* cheap before I'd even think
    > about it. The Li-Ion cells in our uhf radios that we use on the farm
    > seem to have a lifespan of about 3 years before they croak.

    Yep, the only reason I'd consider a second-hand one is in the case of the
    above-mentioned laptop, just to sell it but, as I said, people selling
    second-hand ones want too much for them anyway. I might just keep the laptop
    as a spare spare (LOL). I have a few things that I haven't sold because I
    think that their value is more than the money I could get for them*. Yeah, I
    know, Irrational. Especially for a man who's on the bones of it.

    * I have a nice little Dell Latitude CPiA laptop that had a PII 'Dixon'
    400MHz (lovely CPU, 180nm, 128kb on-die L2, the fore-runner of the
    Coppermine PIIIs) from 2001 that's sole use these days is as a stereo,
    playing my mp3 collection on random most times. (I just need a couple 128MB
    SD-RAM SODIMMs for it to max it, it only has 64s in it now.) Until mid-way
    through last year it's Li-Ion battery held enough charge for me to carry it
    (and a headset) with me if I knew I had to wait somewhere and I could watch
    ~120 minutes of avi on it's battery.

    However, following the advice of some clown on comp.sys.laptops I decided
    that, while it was being used as a stereo I'd be best served taking the
    battery out (about 50% charged) and storing it in a cool place. I was
    assured that it would last longer that way. Before I took my car for a WOF a
    month or so ago I decided to fully charge the battery and take it with me
    (it's the only 12" lappy I have, nice and small) and watch an avi or two
    while I waited. I was rather annoyed to find that the battery doesn't charge
    at all now, the LED goes green for a few minutes, then flashes amber. I wish
    I hadn't listened to that clown...

    LOL, I do have a habit of digressing. Oh well, maybe somebody found
    something of use in that.

    A mate bought about 300 Li-Ion cells quite cheaply from Trademe a year or so
    ago, small oblong things about 75% the size of a matchbox (in all
    dimensions). However he says that they're not safe, that they're prone to
    'thermal runaway'. He's had a couple go bang. I was hoping to find something
    like that, without the thermal runaway bit.

    Thanks for taking the time to reply Peter.

    ~misfit~, Mar 11, 2010