    BatteryUniversity.com says store them (in a cool place) 40% charged
    to power the protection circuitry.

    A friend of mine always discharges them completely for storage.

    Bill Tuthill, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Bill Tuthill

    John Bean Guest

    On 30 Nov 2005 17:51:28 -0800, Bill Tuthill <>
    wrote:

    >When storing Lithium Ion batteries for weeks or months between uses,
    >is it best to leave them fully charged, partially charged, or discharged?
    >
    >I've heard they like to be kept full.

    "I've heard..."? And yet you then say:

    >BatteryUniversity.com says store them (in a cool place) 40% charged
    >to power the protection circuitry.

    Do you have a good reason to not believe their advice?

    >A friend of mine always discharges them completely for storage.

    Sigh.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Dec 1, 2005

  3. Bill Tuthill

    m Ransley Guest

    Sony says uncharged on their Li ion battery

    m Ransley, Dec 1, 2005
  4. In article <> Bill Tuthill <> writes:
    $When storing Lithium Ion batteries for weeks or months between uses,
    $is it best to leave them fully charged, partially charged, or discharged?

    The manual for the Li ion battery which came with my 20D rules
    out the fully charged option:

    "In addition, there is the possibility of damage to the battery pack
    and reduced usage time if fully charged batteries are stored for a
    period of months."

    and (the following is underlined)

    "When you plan to store a battery pack aim to use its complete charge
    first, before disconnecting it. Store the battery pack in an area
    which is free of moisture, and where the temperature is no higher
    than 30C (86F)."
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn <>

    Stephen M. Dunn, Dec 1, 2005
  5. Bill Tuthill

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    John Bean <> wrote:

    >> I've heard they like to be kept full.

    > "I've heard..."? And yet you then say:

    If you'd like to think I'm an idiot for asking, go ahead.

    My cellphone manual, which is for a Lithium ion battery, says:

    Keep your battery fully charged. It is best to recharge
    before the battery gets too low, because complete discharges
    put an unnecessary strain on the battery.

    Bill Tuthill, Dec 1, 2005
  6. Bill Tuthill

    John Bean Guest

    On 1 Dec 2005 10:55:42 -0800, Bill Tuthill <>
    wrote:

    >John Bean <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I've heard they like to be kept full.

    >> "I've heard..."? And yet you then say:

    >If you'd like to think I'm an idiot for asking, go ahead.

    No Bill, and I apologise if you think I was suggesting you
    were an idiot, I was just a bit grumpier than usual this
    morning and the phrase "I've heard..." without citing a
    reference is one of the warning prefixes that put me into
    "expect what follows to be BS" mode.

    >My cellphone manual, which is for a Lithium ion battery, says:
    >
    > Keep your battery fully charged. It is best to recharge
    > before the battery gets too low, because complete discharges
    > put an unnecessary strain on the battery.

    Makes sense, which is precisely why the one source you did
    cite suggests you should store them part-charged. Long term
    storage at full charge causes premature aging, storing
    completely discharged leaves the possibility of the voltage
    falling below the minimum threshold of the safety device -
    usually rendering the battery permanently unusable.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Dec 1, 2005
  7. Bill Tuthill

    Battleax Guest

    "John Bean" <> wrote in message
    > On 1 Dec 2005 10:55:42 -0800, Bill Tuthill <>
    > wrote:

    > >> "I've heard..."? And yet you then say:

    > >If you'd like to think I'm an idiot for asking, go ahead.

    > No Bill, and I apologise if you think I was suggesting you
    > were an idiot, I was just a bit grumpier than usual this
    > morning and the phrase "I've heard..." without citing a
    > reference is one of the warning prefixes that put me into
    > "expect what follows to be BS" mode.
    >
    > >My cellphone manual, which is for a Lithium ion battery, says:
    > >
    > > Keep your battery fully charged. It is best to recharge
    > > before the battery gets too low, because complete discharges
    > > put an unnecessary strain on the battery.

    > Makes sense, which is precisely why the one source you did
    > cite suggests you should store them part-charged. Long term
    > storage at full charge causes premature aging, storing
    > completely discharged leaves the possibility of the voltage
    > falling below the minimum threshold of the safety device -
    > usually rendering the battery permanently unusable.
    >
    > --
    > John Bean

    Here's what Sony wants done with their li ion. Store fully charged, use it
    up completly, and fully recharge at least once a year.

    Battleax, Dec 1, 2005
  8. Bill Tuthill

    John Bean Guest

    On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:59:43 -0500, "Battleax"
    <> wrote:
    >Here's what Sony wants done with their li ion. Store fully charged, use it
    >up completly, and fully recharge at least once a year.

    Good way to shorten battery life. Good for Sony battery
    sales I guess.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Dec 1, 2005
  9. Bill Tuthill

    Guest

    On 30 Nov 2005 17:51:28 -0800, Bill Tuthill <> wrote:

    >When storing Lithium Ion batteries for weeks or months between uses,
    >is it best to leave them fully charged, partially charged, or discharged?
    >
    >I've heard they like to be kept full.
    >
    >BatteryUniversity.com says store them (in a cool place) 40% charged
    >to power the protection circuitry.
    >
    >A friend of mine always discharges them completely for storage.

    "If possible, store the battery in a cool place at about a 40%
    state-of-charge."

    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

    , Dec 2, 2005