    just to see what's available. Can someone explain how the En-El 3 battery
    can be offered for 6 Euros when the Nikon original costs over 60? What's
    behind such a cheap offer?

    MB, Nov 17, 2004

  2. "MB" <> wrote in message
    news:cng6jv$25i$00$-online.com...

    > I want to get a spare li-ion battery for my D70, and I've looked in Ebay
    > just to see what's available. Can someone explain how the En-El 3 battery
    > can be offered for 6 Euros when the Nikon original costs over 60? What's
    > behind such a cheap offer?

    You get what you pay for, sometimes not. You might get lucky using a cheap
    third party battery, but if you are using your camera for your income than I
    would ask, do you trust that battery? I did the eBay route with a few cell
    phone batteries and tossed them in the trash the next day. I'll only use
    original equipment or buy reputable aftermarket. As for eBay, I wouldn't
    waste a cent on them batteries.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Nov 17, 2004

  3. MB

    BG250 Guest

    I bought one for my Fujifilm about $13 ($7 plus shipping). It worked fine,
    but the life was not up to the Fuji OEM. It still beats paying $60 for the
    OEM battery. I sold the camera a few months latter so my experience is
    limited with the life of the battery. My new camera takes AAs which I find
    more desirable.

    BG250, Nov 17, 2004
  4. MB

    Ron G Guest

    I've been using eBay batteries for my Oly 5060 and the ones that cost
    about $7.00 each seem to work as well as the OEM one. Ditto for a $19
    one I purchased from Tiger Direct. Just can't tell the difference
    between any of them, and I have given them plenty of cycles.

    Ron G, Nov 17, 2004
  5. MB wrote:
    > I want to get a spare li-ion battery for my D70, and I've looked in Ebay
    > just to see what's available. Can someone explain how the En-El 3 battery
    > can be offered for 6 Euros when the Nikon original costs over 60? What's
    > behind such a cheap offer?

    That does seem rather preposterous and I would also wonder how they
    could sell an equivalent battery for 1/10 of the costs. However,
    Nikon is trying to get back some of its development costs (all OEMs do
    that), so an equivalent battery can easily cost 1/2 to 1/4 of the OEM
    price. In this range (1/2 to 1/4 of OEM price) you should be able to
    get an equivalent battery. And don't believe the old BS about getting
    what you pay for because you may or may not whether you buy OEM
    equipment or not.

    George E. Cawthon, Nov 18, 2004
  6. MB

    Eager Guest

    In article <cng6jv$25i$00$-online.com>, MB
    <> wrote:

    > I want to get a spare li-ion battery for my D70, and I've looked in Ebay
    > just to see what's available. Can someone explain how the En-El 3 battery
    > can be offered for 6 Euros when the Nikon original costs over 60? What's
    > behind such a cheap offer?

    I go the middle ground. Rather than $10 knock-offs, I've found real
    Nikon EN-EL3s for US$20 (plus $5 shipping) here:

    <http://store.yahoo.com/tang-shop/nikon-en-el3-battery.html>

    I've been very happy with the battery I bought, and I just ordered
    another.

    -=-Joe

    Eager, Nov 18, 2004
  7. MB

    MB Guest

    Thanks to all for the input. Now I have a rule of thumb for a spare-- 20-30
    is acceptable.

    MB, Nov 19, 2004
  8. MB

    Gadgets Guest

    I've wondered this too... so can anyone say why the cheapies are worse? Is
    there much in battery build that could cause inconsistent power levels, poor
    charge holding or whatever?

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

    Gadgets, Nov 21, 2004
  9. MB

    Gadgets Guest

    > <http://store.yahoo.com/tang-shop/nikon-en-el3-battery.html>
    > I've been very happy with the battery I bought, and I just ordered

    Was it a Nikon branded battery? I've noticed with the eBay dodgies that
    they either don't show you the printed side of the battery (like that site),
    or when you do see it, it's obviously a fake with 'for' written above the
    Nikon logo, or 'compatible with' etc

    Gadgets, Nov 21, 2004
  10. "Gadgets" <info@gadgetaus....com> wrote in message
    > I've wondered this too... so can anyone say why the cheapies are worse?
    > Is
    > there much in battery build that could cause inconsistent power levels,
    > poor
    > charge holding or whatever?

    The problem with the cheapies is that there is very little if any quality
    control and who manufactured them. You are basically rolling the dice when
    you buy a cheap battery. Sometimes you get luck and sometimes you don't.
    Some people swear by them while others swear at them. Personally from my
    experience I would rather spend a few extra bucks and not have any worries
    when I'm relying on my batteries.

    Rita
    --
    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Nov 21, 2004
  11. MB

    Eager Guest

    In article <>, Gadgets
    <info@gadgetaus....com> wrote:

    > > <http://store.yahoo.com/tang-shop/nikon-en-el3-battery.html>
    > > I've been very happy with the battery I bought, and I just ordered

    > Was it a Nikon branded battery? I've noticed with the eBay dodgies that
    > they either don't show you the printed side of the battery (like that site),
    > or when you do see it, it's obviously a fake with 'for' written above the
    > Nikon logo, or 'compatible with' etc

    Yes, an original Nikon-brand EN-EL3.

    -=-Joe

    Eager, Nov 21, 2004
  12. MB

    Jerry G. Guest

    A few times, I bought the clone batteries for my digital camera. I found
    them to not last as long. If I look at the price verses the lifespan, it is
    better to pay the difference, and get the original. It's a bad situation to
    be out somewhere, and the batteries are not holding up.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Nov 21, 2004