LG to deliver dual-format HD DVD/Blu-ray.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=11532770&src=rss/technologyNews

    "OS ANGELES (Reuters) - Korea's LG Electronics Inc. (066570.K: Quote,
    Profile, Research) said on Tuesday it planned to launch a
    next-generation DVD player that will bridge the yawning gap between
    two competing formats by playing both HD DVD and Blu-ray."

    "Please shut up....you know nothing about it at all. From a
    scientific standpoint it is very difficult. Non trivial. Expensive."

    Oh Alpha.... wrong once again.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Mar 24, 2006

  2. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=11532770&src=rss/technologyNews
    >
    > "OS ANGELES (Reuters) - Korea's LG Electronics Inc. (066570.K: Quote,
    > Profile, Research) said on Tuesday it planned to launch a
    > next-generation DVD player that will bridge the yawning gap between
    > two competing formats by playing both HD DVD and Blu-ray."
    >
    > "Please shut up....you know nothing about it at all. From a
    > scientific standpoint it is very difficult. Non trivial. Expensive."
    >

    > Oh Alpha.... wrong once again.

    This is very old news. The problem is, no one has even shown a prototype,
    let alone whether they can produce in quantity and at consumer prices. The
    first blu rays, as you know, will cost $1000. The Sony PS3 is stuck because
    of various issues, including manufacturing reliability and costs, for the
    blu ray drive.
    Alpha, Mar 24, 2006

  3. Allan

    Jay G. Guest

    Jay G., Mar 24, 2006
  4. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:43:23 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >"Allan" <> wrote in message
    >> http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=11532770&src=rss/technologyNews
    >>
    >> "OS ANGELES (Reuters) - Korea's LG Electronics Inc. (066570.K: Quote,
    >> Profile, Research) said on Tuesday it planned to launch a
    >> next-generation DVD player that will bridge the yawning gap between
    >> two competing formats by playing both HD DVD and Blu-ray."
    >>
    >> "Please shut up....you know nothing about it at all. From a
    >> scientific standpoint it is very difficult. Non trivial. Expensive."
    >>

    >> Oh Alpha.... wrong once again.

    >This is very old news.

    Old news?

    "LG to deliver dual-format HD DVD/Blu-ray

    Tue Mar 14, 2006 07:52 PM ET"

    Allan, Mar 25, 2006
  5. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:43:23 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Allan" <> wrote in
    >>message
    >>> http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=11532770&src=rss/technologyNews
    >>>
    >>> "OS ANGELES (Reuters) - Korea's LG Electronics Inc. (066570.K: Quote,
    >>> Profile, Research) said on Tuesday it planned to launch a
    >>> next-generation DVD player that will bridge the yawning gap between
    >>> two competing formats by playing both HD DVD and Blu-ray."
    >>>
    >>> "Please shut up....you know nothing about it at all. From a
    >>> scientific standpoint it is very difficult. Non trivial. Expensive."
    >>>

    >>> Oh Alpha.... wrong once again.

    >>This is very old news.

    > Old news?
    >
    > "LG to deliver dual-format HD DVD/Blu-ray
    >
    > Tue Mar 14, 2006 07:52 PM ET"
    >
    > http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=11532770&src=rss/technologyNews

    The article has so many factual errors (about release dates etc. that have
    already been announced) that its credibility is compromised. I was
    referring to Samsung mistakenly...and of course they have withdrawn the idea
    of a dual format player.

    Noo ne has said how LG is going to license both technologies, nor just what
    the breakthrough engineering idea (which must be brilliant) is.
    Alpha, Mar 25, 2006
  6. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:03:16 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >The article has so many factual errors (about release dates etc. that have
    >already been announced) that its credibility is compromised.

    Yeah... Reuters is a little known news organization.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Mar 26, 2006
  7. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:03:16 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >

    >>The article has so many factual errors (about release dates etc. that have
    >>already been announced) that its credibility is compromised.

    > Yeah... Reuters is a little known news organization.

    Like all such organizations with incompetent staff in technical areas, they
    will be wrong again.
    Alpha, Mar 26, 2006