    more cpu power than any other drive when doing the same things or what.
    I know that the box for this dvdwriter use to refer to a lower min spec but
    I don'y know exactly what it was other than the cpu was in the Mhz range.

    putter, Jun 24, 2005

  2. putter

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:27:55 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:

    >I bought the lg 4163b dvdwriter as suggested by people on this newsgroup,
    >despite the advice that I had the min specs required it appears I do not, I
    >have a p3 550 running win98se and the box does not list win98se and the min
    >hardware specs are p4 2.4Ghz or higher so on first impression it looks like
    >i am stuffed but I wonder what these min specs refer to exactly, is the lack
    >of win98se due to a included piece of software that is not win98se
    >compatible and does the hardware min spec only apply when trying to do 1
    >particular thing which may or maynot be a problem for me. Other dvdwriters i
    >looked at were compatible with my hardware so does this dvdwriter require
    >more cpu power than any other drive when doing the same things or what.
    >I know that the box for this dvdwriter use to refer to a lower min spec but
    >I don'y know exactly what it was other than the cpu was in the Mhz range.

    I don't think that DVD-RAM works with 98se

    DVD burning does use a lot of IDE IO..

    Reading is DMA but is burning DMA..?

    Plus playing a DVD with out a decent Video card that has hardware DVD
    decoding support does need a faster CPU..

    Tony, Jun 24, 2005

  3. On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:27:55 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:

    >I bought the lg 4163b dvdwriter as suggested by people on this newsgroup,
    >despite the advice that I had the min specs required it appears I do not, I
    >have a p3 550 running win98se and the box does not list win98se and the min
    >hardware specs are p4 2.4Ghz or higher so on first impression it looks like
    >i am stuffed but I wonder what these min specs refer to exactly, is the lack
    >of win98se due to a included piece of software that is not win98se
    >compatible and does the hardware min spec only apply when trying to do 1
    >particular thing which may or maynot be a problem for me. Other dvdwriters i
    >looked at were compatible with my hardware so does this dvdwriter require
    >more cpu power than any other drive when doing the same things or what.
    >I know that the box for this dvdwriter use to refer to a lower min spec but
    >I don'y know exactly what it was other than the cpu was in the Mhz range.

    Is this a different writer?

    LG GSA-4163B 16x8x16x DVD+R/RW 16x6x16x DVD-R/RW 40x24x40x CD-R/RW 4x
    DVD-R DL 5x DVD-RAM Dual-Layer IDE Optical Burner Drive

    http://www.xpcgear.com/lggsa4163b1.html

    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Jun 24, 2005
  4. putter

    Mark C Guest

    "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news::

    > I bought the lg 4163b dvdwriter as suggested by people on this
    > newsgroup, despite the advice that I had the min specs required
    > it appears I do not, I have a p3 550 running win98se and the box
    > does not list win98se and the min hardware specs are p4 2.4Ghz
    > or higher so on first impression it looks like i am stuffed but
    > I wonder what these min specs refer to exactly, is the lack of
    > win98se due to a included piece of software that is not win98se
    > compatible and does the hardware min spec only apply when trying
    > to do 1 particular thing which may or maynot be a problem for
    > me. Other dvdwriters i looked at were compatible with my
    > hardware so does this dvdwriter require more cpu power than any
    > other drive when doing the same things or what. I know that the
    > box for this dvdwriter use to refer to a lower min spec but I
    > don'y know exactly what it was other than the cpu was in the Mhz
    > range.

    I have it installed in a 2GHz Pentium 4, 256MB system, and it
    performs well.

    Nero CD/DVD Speedtool says it uses 25% CPU at 4x reading, and 48% CPU
    at 8x reading.

    Mark

    Mark C, Jun 24, 2005
  5. putter

    Mark C Guest

    "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news::

    > ... and the min hardware specs are p4 2.4Ghz or higher

    Oh, I wondered about the 2.4GHz when installing it, and I wondered if
    that spec was for the DVD editing and playing software included?

    Mark C, Jun 24, 2005
  6. putter

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in message news:...
    > I bought the lg 4163b dvdwriter as suggested by people on this newsgroup,
    > despite the advice that I had the min specs required it appears I do not,

    > have a p3 550 running win98se and the box does not list win98se and the

    min
    > hardware specs are p4 2.4Ghz or higher

    <snip>

    FWIW: I have an NEC burner that lists a P4 processor as a minimum (with XP
    preferred for the Nero suite that came with it) -and runs fine but VERY slow
    on a PII 400 with 256 MB RAM/Win98SE.
    [eg 48 mins to burn 4GB data: but it does it and verifies fine]

    Also plays DVD's in 5.1 DTS/DD through Radeon 7000 video/Phillips audio
    (sorry - can't remember the #) cards: agree with Wodger here tho, and you'll
    almost definitely need a vid card (even a low-end one as noted!) that has
    hardware decoding.

    HTH
    -D

    Pleb Plebian, Jun 24, 2005
  7. putter

    putter Guest

    "Canon Paora Tikitiki" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:27:55 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:
    >
    > >I bought the lg 4163b dvdwriter as suggested by people on this newsgroup,
    > >despite the advice that I had the min specs required it appears I do not,

    > >have a p3 550 running win98se and the box does not list win98se and the

    min
    > >hardware specs are p4 2.4Ghz or higher so on first impression it looks

    like
    > >i am stuffed but I wonder what these min specs refer to exactly, is the

    lack
    > >of win98se due to a included piece of software that is not win98se
    > >compatible and does the hardware min spec only apply when trying to do 1
    > >particular thing which may or maynot be a problem for me. Other

    dvdwriters i
    > >looked at were compatible with my hardware so does this dvdwriter require
    > >more cpu power than any other drive when doing the same things or what.
    > >I know that the box for this dvdwriter use to refer to a lower min spec

    but
    > >I don'y know exactly what it was other than the cpu was in the Mhz range.
    > >

    > Is this a different writer?
    >
    > LG GSA-4163B 16x8x16x DVD+R/RW 16x6x16x DVD-R/RW 40x24x40x CD-R/RW 4x
    > DVD-R DL 5x DVD-RAM Dual-Layer IDE Optical Burner Drive
    >

    > http://www.xpcgear.com/lggsa4163b1.html

    No.

    putter, Jun 24, 2005
  8. putter

    putter Guest

    "Pleb Plebian" <> wrote in message
    > "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in message news:...
    > > I bought the lg 4163b dvdwriter as suggested by people on this

    newsgroup,
    > > despite the advice that I had the min specs required it appears I do

    not,
    > > have a p3 550 running win98se and the box does not list win98se and the

    > min
    > > hardware specs are p4 2.4Ghz or higher

    > <snip>
    >
    > FWIW: I have an NEC burner that lists a P4 processor as a minimum (with XP
    > preferred for the Nero suite that came with it) -and runs fine but VERY

    slow
    > on a PII 400 with 256 MB RAM/Win98SE.
    > [eg 48 mins to burn 4GB data: but it does it and verifies fine]
    >
    > Also plays DVD's in 5.1 DTS/DD through Radeon 7000 video/Phillips audio
    > (sorry - can't remember the #) cards: agree with Wodger here tho, and

    you'll
    > almost definitely need a vid card (even a low-end one as noted!) that has
    > hardware decoding.

    > HTH
    > -D

    Ok I tried making a data dvd and had no problems other than a complaint from
    nero saying it would not work properly with dma bios 98, needed 99 or above.
    Anyhow it worked fine and was fast, my pc did not seem to hinder it.
    The next thing I need to test is if I can extract vob files from existing
    dvd's and make my own version of the dvd, what I had in mind was to take a
    dvd which contains several episodes of a tv series and a doco and make a dvd
    which contains just 1 episode. I extracted the vob files using decryptor
    then loaded powerproducer gold, 1 tv epsisode was broken into to vob files
    rather than the complete episode been 1 vob so I merged these with
    powerproducer then hit write where by it goes into a very slow process of
    creating and organizing files which at the current rate is going to take
    several hours, surely there must be an easier way that does not require all
    this processing since all i am doing is trying to get 2 vob files to play in
    synchronous order. Powerproducer asks what quality video I want at the
    beginning so I am guessing that it is completely reprocessing the vob files
    and hence the very long task.
    Anyhow I need to find out as soon as possible if I can do this on my pc with
    this dvdwriter so if someone can give me a quick and dirty way to do this I
    would appreciate it. I think I have a rough idea of what is require but as i
    have no expereince it will take a lot of time to work it out all for myself.

    putter, Jun 24, 2005
  9. On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:48:16 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:

    >Ok I tried making a data dvd and had no problems other than a complaint from
    >nero saying it would not work properly with dma bios 98, needed 99 or above.
    >Anyhow it worked fine and was fast, my pc did not seem to hinder it.
    >The next thing I need to test is if I can extract vob files from existing
    >dvd's and make my own version of the dvd, what I had in mind was to take a
    >dvd which contains several episodes of a tv series and a doco and make a dvd
    >which contains just 1 episode. I extracted the vob files using decryptor
    >then loaded powerproducer gold, 1 tv epsisode was broken into to vob files
    >rather than the complete episode been 1 vob so I merged these with
    >powerproducer then hit write where by it goes into a very slow process of
    >creating and organizing files which at the current rate is going to take
    >several hours, surely there must be an easier way that does not require all
    >this processing since all i am doing is trying to get 2 vob files to play in
    >synchronous order. Powerproducer asks what quality video I want at the
    >beginning so I am guessing that it is completely reprocessing the vob files
    >and hence the very long task.
    >Anyhow I need to find out as soon as possible if I can do this on my pc with
    >this dvdwriter so if someone can give me a quick and dirty way to do this I
    >would appreciate it. I think I have a rough idea of what is require but as i
    >have no expereince it will take a lot of time to work it out all for myself.

    I think DVDShrink does what you want.

    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

    Or you can use ' Ifoedit 'to create new ifo & bup files for the
    'episode' vobs you extract. You need them to make a valid VideoDVD.

    http://www.ifoedit.com/

    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Jun 24, 2005
  10. putter

    thing Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:27:55 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:
    >

    >>I bought the lg 4163b dvdwriter as suggested by people on this newsgroup,
    >>despite the advice that I had the min specs required it appears I do not, I
    >>have a p3 550 running win98se and the box does not list win98se and the min
    >>hardware specs are p4 2.4Ghz or higher so on first impression it looks like
    >>i am stuffed but I wonder what these min specs refer to exactly, is the lack
    >>of win98se due to a included piece of software that is not win98se
    >>compatible and does the hardware min spec only apply when trying to do 1
    >>particular thing which may or maynot be a problem for me. Other dvdwriters i
    >>looked at were compatible with my hardware so does this dvdwriter require
    >>more cpu power than any other drive when doing the same things or what.
    >>I know that the box for this dvdwriter use to refer to a lower min spec but
    >>I don'y know exactly what it was other than the cpu was in the Mhz range.
    >>

    > I don't think that DVD-RAM works with 98se
    >

    > DVD burning does use a lot of IDE IO..
    >
    > Reading is DMA but is burning DMA..?
    >
    > Plus playing a DVD with out a decent Video card that has hardware DVD
    > decoding support does need a faster CPU..

    I have had no issues playing dvds on a p2-300 with a software player and
    a fairly early AGP card (matrox 400max) and a tnt2 ultra.....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jun 25, 2005
  11. putter

    thing Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news::
    >

    >>... and the min hardware specs are p4 2.4Ghz or higher

    > Oh, I wondered about the 2.4GHz when installing it, and I wondered if
    > that spec was for the DVD editing and playing software included?

    editing takes a lot of cpu and a lot of ram and a fast hard drive. On my
    Imac its a bit limited as I need a higher spec'd CPU but its usable with
    1 gig of ram and firewire 7200rpm ata100 disks.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jun 25, 2005
  12. putter

    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:48:16 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:
    >
    > >Ok I tried making a data dvd and had no problems other than a complaint

    from
    > >nero saying it would not work properly with dma bios 98, needed 99 or

    above.
    > >Anyhow it worked fine and was fast, my pc did not seem to hinder it.
    > >The next thing I need to test is if I can extract vob files from existing
    > >dvd's and make my own version of the dvd, what I had in mind was to take

    > >dvd which contains several episodes of a tv series and a doco and make a

    dvd
    > >which contains just 1 episode. I extracted the vob files using decryptor
    > >then loaded powerproducer gold, 1 tv epsisode was broken into to vob

    files
    > >rather than the complete episode been 1 vob so I merged these with
    > >powerproducer then hit write where by it goes into a very slow process of
    > >creating and organizing files which at the current rate is going to take
    > >several hours, surely there must be an easier way that does not require

    all
    > >this processing since all i am doing is trying to get 2 vob files to play

    in
    > >synchronous order. Powerproducer asks what quality video I want at the
    > >beginning so I am guessing that it is completely reprocessing the vob

    files
    > >and hence the very long task.
    > >Anyhow I need to find out as soon as possible if I can do this on my pc

    with
    > >this dvdwriter so if someone can give me a quick and dirty way to do this

    > >would appreciate it. I think I have a rough idea of what is require but

    as i
    > >have no expereince it will take a lot of time to work it out all for

    myself.

    > I think DVDShrink does what you want.
    >
    > http://www.dvdshrink.org/
    >

    > Or you can use ' Ifoedit 'to create new ifo & bup files for the
    > 'episode' vobs you extract. You need them to make a valid VideoDVD.
    >
    > http://www.ifoedit.com/

    Thanks a lot, I ran a quick test with dvdshrink and it seems to do what I
    need, I had heard of this program before but had only ever heard it talked
    about as a tool for recompressing dvd video to fit on a single layer disc,
    the recompression is something I wanted to avoid because my pc is not really
    powerful enough for that and I had more of a need for making dvd
    compilations that did not need shrinking and therefore reprocessing.
    So it seems the min specs given for this dvdwriter only refer to the task of
    compressing video to mpeg4 which is what I had hoped but as I had no
    experience I could not be sure that this was the case, they really should
    list min specs for compressing as a separate spec and give a min spec for
    the rest of the tasks which appear to be far lower as my p3 550 setup would
    indicate.
    Is there anything else that I have not thought of that will require more
    processing power than I have.

    putter, Jun 25, 2005
  13. putter

    Richard Guest

    putter wrote:

    > Thanks a lot, I ran a quick test with dvdshrink and it seems to do what I
    > need, I had heard of this program before but had only ever heard it talked
    > about as a tool for recompressing dvd video to fit on a single layer disc,
    > the recompression is something I wanted to avoid because my pc is not really
    > powerful enough for that and I had more of a need for making dvd
    > compilations that did not need shrinking and therefore reprocessing.
    > So it seems the min specs given for this dvdwriter only refer to the task of
    > compressing video to mpeg4 which is what I had hoped but as I had no
    > experience I could not be sure that this was the case, they really should
    > list min specs for compressing as a separate spec and give a min spec for
    > the rest of the tasks which appear to be far lower as my p3 550 setup would
    > indicate.
    > Is there anything else that I have not thought of that will require more
    > processing power than I have.

    Writing MP3s to audio CDs at high speed may be more then your machine can cope
    with, it may have to decomress first to temp files.

    Richard, Jun 25, 2005
  14. putter

    putter Guest

> [...]

    > about as a tool for recompressing dvd video to fit on a single layer disc,
    > the recompression is something I wanted to avoid because my pc is not

    really
    > powerful enough for that and I had more of a need for making dvd
    > compilations that did not need shrinking and therefore reprocessing.
    > So it seems the min specs given for this dvdwriter only refer to the task

    of
    > compressing video to mpeg4 which is what I had hoped but as I had no
    > experience I could not be sure that this was the case, they really should
    > list min specs for compressing as a separate spec and give a min spec for
    > the rest of the tasks which appear to be far lower as my p3 550 setup

    would
    > indicate.
    > Is there anything else that I have not thought of that will require more

    So far I have written a data dvd-r with nero and a compilation dvd+rw with
    dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no
    recompression required) and the only problem I have run into is that nero
    dma manager will not work with my motherboard bios, a message says it will
    only work with bios dated 1999 or later, mine is 1998. So my question is
    what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or is it just
    an optional extra that is not necessary.

    putter, Jun 26, 2005
  15. putter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    putter wrote:

    > So far I have written a data dvd-r with nero and a compilation dvd+rw
    > with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv episodes from 1
    > commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only problem I have
    > run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my motherboard
    > bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999 or later,
    > mine is 1998. So my question is what does nero dma manager do, is it
    > required for some tasks or is it just an optional extra that is not
    > necessary.

    If you're interested in a guess I'd say all it does is speed up the process.
    DMA = Direct Memory Addressing, a method of accessing drives that is faster
    than the alternatives. If the DVD you burnt works fine then I'd say it's
    just an optional extra.

    BTW, are there no later updates available for your mobo BIOS?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 27, 2005
  16. putter

    putter Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > putter wrote:
    > >
    > > So far I have written a data dvd-r with nero and a compilation dvd+rw
    > > with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv episodes from 1
    > > commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only problem I have
    > > run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my motherboard
    > > bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999 or later,
    > > mine is 1998. So my question is what does nero dma manager do, is it
    > > required for some tasks or is it just an optional extra that is not
    > > necessary.

    > If you're interested in a guess I'd say all it does is speed up the

    process.
    > DMA = Direct Memory Addressing, a method of accessing drives that is

    faster
    > than the alternatives. If the DVD you burnt works fine then I'd say it's
    > just an optional extra.
    >
    > BTW, are there no later updates available for your mobo BIOS?
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Thanks, I guess I should have said that I knew what dma was, I really just
    wanted to know what the program did, if it did anything important, you
    enable dma access elsewhere so what is this program used for? I use dma and
    have never had any problems.

    putter, Jun 27, 2005
  17. putter

    Mark C Guest

    "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news::

    > ...So my question is what does nero dma manager do, is it
    > required for some tasks or is it just an optional extra that is
    > not necessary.

    It's optional. All it will do is speed things up a little.
    The drive works fastest with DMA enabled, but if the DMA cannot be
    enabled it will use PIO (? I think this is reading from IO ports)
    instead and still work, just not as fast, or might require more CPU.

    Mark C, Jun 27, 2005
  18. putter

    putter Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news::
    >
    > > ...So my question is what does nero dma manager do, is it
    > > required for some tasks or is it just an optional extra that is
    > > not necessary.

    > It's optional. All it will do is speed things up a little.
    > The drive works fastest with DMA enabled, but if the DMA cannot be
    > enabled it will use PIO (? I think this is reading from IO ports)
    > instead and still work, just not as fast, or might require more CPU.

    But you don't need nero dma manager to enable dma, so once again what does
    dma manager do?

    putter, Jun 27, 2005