    Why does it not show up?

    --
    Hugh
    Kue2, Sep 20, 2005

  2. Kue2

    M. Murcek Guest

    Needs a driver (which MUST be 64 bit) or maybe a firmware issue...

    M. Murcek, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Kue2

    Piers James Guest

    it shouldn't need a driver, it is a standard IDe device. My LG GSA 4160B
    DVD-RAM drive shows up no problem.

    Try checking the LG website for a firmware upgrade as suggested:-
    www.lge.com

    Piers James, Sep 20, 2005
  4. Kue2

    Rick Guest

    From the LG firmware update:

    =========================
    LG Electronics
    GSA-4120B A115 Firmware
    =========================

    Never update the firmware if the problem you’re having is the
    drive isn't seen by windows, won't write with the included
    software, or other interface related problems, unless (in
    the rare case) the firmware specifically states it fixes the
    problem you are having. Firmware updates normally don't
    address these types of problems. Trying to update the
    firmware when there are interface problems can damage the
    drive's firmware. Being able to read but not write is caused
    by bad firmware or an interface problem. An error when
    updating the firmware is usually caused by a problem with
    the drive interface or there is more than one drive
    connected to that IDE channel.

    Rick, Sep 20, 2005
  5. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    GOT THE LATEST firmware.
    error messages in device manager states:
    driver cannot be loaded,where do I get a 64 bit driver?

    Kue2, Sep 20, 2005
  6. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Got the latest firmware loaded, where do I get a 64 bit driver?

    Kue2, Sep 20, 2005
  7. Kue2

    Rick Guest

    You do not need a separate driver.

    You need to do some trouble shooting.

    Check your data cable.

    Is the drive jumpered properly as a Master or a Slave?

    Is there another drive of any type on the same channel?

    Rick, Sep 20, 2005
  8. Kue2

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Hugh,

    You do not need and have never needed, a device driver for either a CD or
    DVD drive (whether they are writers or not) in ANY flavour of Windows since
    Windows 98 since they are supported natively by built-in CDFS and low level
    drivers. Windows x64 introduces NOTHING different in this regard.

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 20, 2005
  9. Kue2

    Randy Guest

    If you have it set/jumpered to be seen as a master or slave drive, you might
    try switching that to cable select to see if that helps the system "see"
    (enumerate) it in device manager. You might also try going through Disk
    Management ("Manage" when right clicking on My Computer) to see if you can
    force Windows to see it, or "populate" it with a drive letter ("Volumes" tab
    on the drive's property sheet under Device Manager)...

    Randy, Sep 21, 2005
  10. Kue2

    Piers James Guest

    Interesting!!!

    Piers James, Sep 21, 2005
  11. Kue2

    LDJ Guest

    Hello Kue2!
    Kue2 wrote:

    > This drive does not show up in My computer, but is functional burning with
    > Nero.
    > Why does it not show up?

    On my x64 system, both the LG GDR8162B DVD ROM drive, and the LG
    GSA-4163B DVD burner shows up. There is no separate icon showing a
    DVD-RAM drive. That's different from my Win2000 system, where 2 CD-Drive
    icons + 1 removable drive icon is shown.

    I was surprised to see that I didn't have to install a RAM driver, on
    WinXP64. I need to install a RAM driver on Win2000, in order to get the
    DVD-RAM to work.

    If WinXP64 doesn't recognize the DVD-RAM disc, when you insert such one,
    there must be something else wrong, IMO.

    Kind Regards
    LDJ
    LDJ, Sep 29, 2005