    I haven't heard of anything related to this LG player. Any comments?
    Thanks.

    , Jul 25, 2004

  2. Brad Griffis Guest

    I haven't looked at that specific player, but based on other players it
    doesn't sound like a great deal. Does that have DVI output? Right now the
    Samsung HD-931 will also upscale to 720p/1080i and has a DVI output as well.
    The scaling is done with Faroudja DCDi same as the LG player you described.

    I'm not sure of the price on the HD-931 but I think it's around $250. There
    is also a HD-941 DVD player due to be released in the next month for $300
    which will also do Faroudja DCDi, convert to 720p/1080i, has an HDMI output
    (convertible to DVI with an adapter), and will also play DVD Audio and SACD
    formats.

    Brad

    Brad Griffis, Jul 26, 2004

  3. wrote:

    >Browsing my local Futureshop, I saw this LG DCDi player with 480i to
    >720P/1080i upconversion for CDN$ 300. it sounded like a good deal but
    >I haven't heard of anything related to this LG player. Any comments?
    >Thanks.

    The LG player is the same as the Zenith DVB318 player. You can check
    out threads on this machine at the Home Theatre Spot and AVSForum
    Zenith and DVD player forums. I have the player and I think it looks
    amazing. Some users have had problems with the DVI output on this
    machine; it appears to suffer from a "white crush" in which any white
    level from 80% to 100% appears as 100% white, meaning fine details in
    white objects are lost and it looks like a white blob. Others have
    had problems getting the DVI to output certain resolutions (either
    720p or 1080i). I use the component outputs to display at 1080i and
    it looks really good on my Samsung HDTV. The manual warns that 1080i
    may be disabled by "copy protections" on certain DVDs but no one on
    the AVS forums has found any disc that forces the player back into
    480p mode.

    Ah, here is the megathread on AVSForum:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=64a81c0751fc59e32498c695746cf09d&threadid=328403

    (I call the thread that because the thread is 195 pages long. Start
    at the end and it will give you a good idea of what people think of
    this player. Generally, the response has been very enthusiastic)

    --
    Patrick Conley

    Today's a day to celebrate, the foe have met their fate.
    The order for rejoicing and dancing has come from our warlord.

    Patrick Conley, Jul 26, 2004