LG Blu-ray Disc player To Also Support HD DVD.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    LG has apparently abandoned plans to ship a Blu-ray DIsc player this
    Spring, and appears instead to be preparing a dual-mode system that
    incorporates HD DVD support too. So, at any rate, claims a memo
    allegedly sent by the company's US sales chief to staff last week.

    The memo, cited by consumer electronics industry-watching website CE
    Pro, says the BD199 Blu-ray Disc player will not ship when originally
    intended because of "uncertainty in this early stage of the market for
    pre-recorded high-definition optical discs".

    LG launched the BD199 in January at the Consumer Electronics Show. At
    the time, it said the player would ship in Q2. However, the company
    was notable by its absence from a statement put out last week by
    Blu-ray backers preparing to release hardware and content on or after
    23 May.

    LG - which signed an optical disc drive pact with HD DVD leader
    Toshiba in February - now seems to believe a dual-format player would
    be a better product to ship than one supporting just one of the two
    rival next-generation formats.

    Curiously, Samsung indicated last Autumn that it had a dual-format
    device in the pipeline, but has since distanced itself from the
    scheme. It looks set to be the first company to ship a Blu-ray player
    into the US market.

    The LG memo says the company's dual-format player is planned for late
    Summer or early Autumn, according to CE Pro.

    [ http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/06/lg_blu-ray_hd-dvd_plans/ ]

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Mar 7, 2006

  2. In article <>, Allan
    <> wrote:

    > LG has apparently abandoned plans to ship a Blu-ray DIsc player this
    > Spring, and appears instead to be preparing a dual-mode system that
    > incorporates HD DVD support too. So, at any rate, claims a memo
    > allegedly sent by the company's US sales chief to staff last week.
    >
    > The memo, cited by consumer electronics industry-watching website CE
    > Pro, says the BD199 Blu-ray Disc player will not ship when originally
    > intended because of "uncertainty in this early stage of the market for
    > pre-recorded high-definition optical discs".
    >
    > LG launched the BD199 in January at the Consumer Electronics Show. At
    > the time, it said the player would ship in Q2. However, the company
    > was notable by its absence from a statement put out last week by
    > Blu-ray backers preparing to release hardware and content on or after
    > 23 May.
    >
    > LG - which signed an optical disc drive pact with HD DVD leader
    > Toshiba in February - now seems to believe a dual-format player would
    > be a better product to ship than one supporting just one of the two
    > rival next-generation formats.
    >
    > Curiously, Samsung indicated last Autumn that it had a dual-format
    > device in the pipeline, but has since distanced itself from the
    > scheme. It looks set to be the first company to ship a Blu-ray player
    > into the US market.
    >
    > The LG memo says the company's dual-format player is planned for late
    > Summer or early Autumn, according to CE Pro.
    >
    > [ http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/06/lg_blu-ray_hd-dvd_plans/ ]

    Curious! It was my understanding that neither Toshiba nor Sony would
    license a dual format player. Has this changed?

    Heinrich
    Heinrich Galland, Mar 7, 2006