    are REALLY rebadged 4020s. Has anyone actually gotten this drive to operate
    at ATA66 yet? Any suggestions? TIA,

    Ron
    Ron, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Ron

    Impmon Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:07:09 -0500, "Ron" <> typed:

    >I've tried everything. This drive is supposed to run at ATA66 which equates
    >to UDMA 3 mode. Is this just a case of out and out lying by LGE? I got WinXP
    >Pro SP1, the GSA 4040B is jumpered to Master with a 80 conductor cable with
    >no slave on IDE 2 and my IDE 1 has HDD also with 80 conductor cable. I have
    >a RAID 0 HDD setup on IDE 3 & 4. And I have Intel's most recent IAA. My
    >system props show that UDMA is enabled and the BIOS on my Abit BD7-II has
    >controllers set to Auto. The IAA says the damn drive will only support UDMA
    >0-1-2 with current mode at UDMA 2. I'm beginning to think these OEM 4040Bs
    >are REALLY rebadged 4020s. Has anyone actually gotten this drive to operate
    >at ATA66 yet? Any suggestions? TIA,

    Go to Start > Setting > Control Panel > System
    Click on Hardware tab
    Click on Device Manager
    Click on the + next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    Right-click on Secondary IDE Channel
    Click on Advanced Setting tab

    If it says PIO, there's an issue with Windows XP that defaults to PIO
    rather than UDMA. Uninstall the IDE hardware and then restart the PC.
    Windows should install IDE driver and have UDMA set automatically by
    default.

    If it shows UDMA 2, your drive is UDMA 2 (ATA33) only and can't be
    changed to 3. Maybe a firmware update would work? Check with the mobo
    manual, some earlier mobo often supported UDMA66 and up only on IDE port
    1 and UDMA 33 on port 2 (oh around year 2000 and 2001 when ATA66 was new
    and ATA100 wasn't even out). I don't know what else to do in this case
    except to pester LG support on this. Does the box or manual for the
    drive state the drive supports UDMA3?

    I do have a LG drive but it is older model 4480b CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo and
    it can only go up to ATA33 or UDMA2 and I haven't had any problem.
    --
    space for rent.
    To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net
    Impmon, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Ron

    CAM Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:07:09 -0500, "Ron" <> wrote:

    >I've tried everything. This drive is supposed to run at ATA66 which equates
    >to UDMA 3 mode. Is this just a case of out and out lying by LGE? I got WinXP
    >Pro SP1, the GSA 4040B is jumpered to Master with a 80 conductor cable with
    >no slave on IDE 2 and my IDE 1 has HDD also with 80 conductor cable. I have
    >a RAID 0 HDD setup on IDE 3 & 4. And I have Intel's most recent IAA. My
    >system props show that UDMA is enabled and the BIOS on my Abit BD7-II has
    >controllers set to Auto. The IAA says the damn drive will only support UDMA
    >0-1-2 with current mode at UDMA 2. I'm beginning to think these OEM 4040Bs
    >are REALLY rebadged 4020s. Has anyone actually gotten this drive to operate
    >at ATA66 yet? Any suggestions? TIA,

    Why do you want it at ata66 anyway?
    It won't burn any faster.
    CAM, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Ron

    Ron Guest

    "CAM" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:07:09 -0500, "Ron" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I've tried everything. This drive is supposed to run at ATA66 which

    equates
    > >to UDMA 3 mode. Is this just a case of out and out lying by LGE? I got

    WinXP
    > >Pro SP1, the GSA 4040B is jumpered to Master with a 80 conductor cable

    with
    > >no slave on IDE 2 and my IDE 1 has HDD also with 80 conductor cable. I

    have
    > >a RAID 0 HDD setup on IDE 3 & 4. And I have Intel's most recent IAA. My
    > >system props show that UDMA is enabled and the BIOS on my Abit BD7-II has
    > >controllers set to Auto. The IAA says the damn drive will only support

    UDMA
    > >0-1-2 with current mode at UDMA 2. I'm beginning to think these OEM

    4040Bs
    > >are REALLY rebadged 4020s. Has anyone actually gotten this drive to

    operate
    > >at ATA66 yet? Any suggestions? TIA,

    > Why do you want it at ata66 anyway?
    > It won't burn any faster.

    Data xfer should be faster. And in any case, it is advertised as such.
    Ron, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Hmm. I have 40 conductor cable on this very same drive and have been getting
    errors in event viewer whenever I burn to DVD. Burns are successful, but I
    get a number of identical errors. I never had any idea that it might have
    just been crying for 80 wire cable. Here are the specs for this thing:
    http://www.lgeus.com/Product/CD/GSA_4040b.asp. What would burst speed permit
    when burning onto media? Doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

    Dave

    David Shorthouse, Nov 18, 2003
  6. Ron

    Ron Guest

    "David Shorthouse" <> wrote in message
    > Hmm. I have 40 conductor cable on this very same drive and have been

    getting
    > errors in event viewer whenever I burn to DVD. Burns are successful, but I
    > get a number of identical errors. I never had any idea that it might have
    > just been crying for 80 wire cable. Here are the specs for this thing:
    > http://www.lgeus.com/Product/CD/GSA_4040b.asp. What would burst speed

    permit
    > when burning onto media? Doesn't seem to make any sense to me.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Ron" <> wrote in message
    > > I've tried everything. This drive is supposed to run at ATA66 which

    > equates
    > > to UDMA 3 mode. Is this just a case of out and out lying by LGE? I got

    > WinXP
    > > Pro SP1, the GSA 4040B is jumpered to Master with a 80 conductor cable

    > with
    > > no slave on IDE 2 and my IDE 1 has HDD also with 80 conductor cable. I

    > have
    > > a RAID 0 HDD setup on IDE 3 & 4. And I have Intel's most recent IAA. My
    > > system props show that UDMA is enabled and the BIOS on my Abit BD7-II

    has
    > > controllers set to Auto. The IAA says the damn drive will only support

    > UDMA
    > > 0-1-2 with current mode at UDMA 2. I'm beginning to think these OEM

    4040Bs
    > > are REALLY rebadged 4020s. Has anyone actually gotten this drive to

    > operate
    > > at ATA66 yet? Any suggestions? TIA,
    > >
    > > Ron

    Well, for one thing, I don't get the same speed rating that have been
    verified on a couple of hardware test sites. This is supposed to read DVD at
    12X. I'm lucky if I get 8X. It's not ALL about burning. Further, I would
    think that a faster transfer rate would eliminate errors that are received
    from on-the-fly copying.
    Ron, Nov 18, 2003