    are installed ok... any ideas?

    Windows 98 SE, Lexmark Z55 via Parallel Port. (ECP mode, bi-directional)

    Matt
    Matthew Strickland, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Matthew Strickland

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Matthew Strickland" <> wrote in
    news:r_IKb.4008$:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
    > series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the
    > manual but it fails to print.
    >
    > I went and had a look at it, its installed via parallel, and appears
    > to 'communicate' to the printer, as I can view ink levels etc. But
    > when you print, the print monitor pops up, jumps to 20% (in word
    > document), paper goes into the printer... and thats it. Printer sits
    > and waits with the paper loaded, and the PC just sits on 20%. No error
    > messages.
    >
    > A DOS spool job gets to 14%, test page gets to 9%.... etc....
    >
    > I can get a test page out of the printer itself... so the print
    > cartridges are installed ok... any ideas?
    >
    > Windows 98 SE, Lexmark Z55 via Parallel Port. (ECP mode,
    > bi-directional)
    >
    > Matt

    Do you get a test page by using the driver properties on the computer, or
    by pushing buttons on the actual printer? Lexmark (drivers) are pains,
    Look for new ones on their web site. I bet there is some HP stuff left
    over too causing a conflict.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 7, 2004

  3. In article <r_IKb.4008$>,
    says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
    > series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the manual
    > but it fails to print.

    If that were my friend, I'd tell them to take it back to the shop really
    quickly and to upgrade to a *decent* printer (i.e. epson, canon, hp or
    maybe even panasonic or brother) Anything but Lexmark ...

    i.m.h.o, and y.m.m.v. naturally.

    -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Jan 8, 2004
  4. I can get a test page only from the printer itself.

    Ive had no problems with any other Lexmark printer. - Epson or Cannon would
    be the only other brand id prefer, HP but only the $500+ models.

    Ill have a go at installing it on another machine first I think (with a
    different OS), if it works ill look at different drivers for Win98. Ive
    heard the drivers are a pain for these printers.

    Matt

    Matthew Strickland, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Matthew Strickland

    K & S Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 01:51:34 +1300, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >In article <r_IKb.4008$>,
    > says...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
    >> series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the manual
    >> but it fails to print.

    >If that were my friend, I'd tell them to take it back to the shop really
    >quickly and to upgrade to a *decent* printer (i.e. epson, canon, hp or
    >maybe even panasonic or brother) Anything but Lexmark ...
    >
    >i.m.h.o, and y.m.m.v. naturally.
    >
    > -Peter

    Yes they get 10 of my Crap marks..
    K & S, Jan 8, 2004
  6. Matthew Strickland

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Uninstall all printers from problem machine, reboot, reinstall lexmark.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Matthew Strickland

    Trinity Guest

    wrote:

    >In article <r_IKb.4008$>,
    > says...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
    >> series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the manual
    >> but it fails to print.

    >If that were my friend, I'd tell them to take it back to the shop really
    >quickly and to upgrade to a *decent* printer (i.e. epson, canon, hp or
    >maybe even panasonic or brother) Anything but Lexmark ...
    >
    >i.m.h.o, and y.m.m.v. naturally.
    >
    > -Peter

    imho and ymmv I'd agree
    Trinity, Jan 9, 2004