    printer and it prints pretty decent (cartridges kinda high). If it is a
    piece of junk could you guys recommend something pretty good on a budget.
    Thanks Jay

    jay, Dec 8, 2003

  2. jay

    Night_Seer Guest

    jay wrote:
    > I saw this on sale and was wondering if it's any good. It's one of
    > those flatbed scanner,copier, and printer all in one combos. That's
    > what im looking for an all in one unit. Bought I saw how cheap this
    > thing is and was wondering if its a complete piece of junk. I
    > currently have an older Lexmark printer and it prints pretty decent
    > (cartridges kinda high). If it is a piece of junk could you guys
    > recommend something pretty good on a budget. Thanks Jay

    Its probably a good printer, I wouldn't know, but the reason its so
    cheap, is in the ink aisle...Lexmark print cartridges cost upwards of 40
    bucks...I would stay away for the long term costs (and there's too many
    problems with refill kits to make it worth your while, they build up
    residue, clogging your lines and print heads)

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Dec 9, 2003

  3. jay

    Ink Guest

    > jay wrote:
    > > I saw this on sale and was wondering if it's any good. It's one of
    > > those flatbed scanner,copier, and printer all in one combos. That's
    > > what im looking for an all in one unit. Bought I saw how cheap this
    > > thing is and was wondering if its a complete piece of junk. I
    > > currently have an older Lexmark printer and it prints pretty decent
    > > (cartridges kinda high). If it is a piece of junk could you guys
    > > recommend something pretty good on a budget. Thanks Jay

    I have the Lexmark X73 all in one (printer, scanner, copier), and it is the
    biggest piece of junk on earth. I highly suggest avoiding Lexmark, I
    understand that many people are usually happy with the Lexmark brand, but
    this one really turns me off to them. Besides the cartridges being
    expensive, the print quality is so, so and is slow. No matter how much you
    align it, it never seems to print the page correctly. The paper feed will
    always eventually feed it incorrectly no matter what weight paper you use.

    The software driver/application is annoying, and you need to use it on Win2K
    to access all the features correctly. It does strange things to the Windows
    print spooler. I had so many issues that I ended up calling their technical
    support line (I am an IT professional). Their technical support help was
    fractured and useless. I ended up emailing them multiple times, and each
    time they responding with even more useless than before answers. The
    Scanner function itself is barely useable. To have a device that functions
    so poorly, I can't help but to think that it was a defect that got through
    or something. If this is how all their products were, Lexmark would be out
    of business.

    All in all this particular Lexmark X73 All in one printer/scanner/copier has
    been a waste of money, time, and nothing short of a complete nightmare.
    Maybe they fixed all these problems with the newer models.

    Ink

    Ink, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Ink wrote:
    > I have the Lexmark X73 all in one (printer, scanner, copier), and it is

    the
    > biggest piece of junk on earth. I highly suggest avoiding Lexmark, I
    > understand that many people are usually happy with the Lexmark brand, but
    > this one really turns me off to them. Besides the cartridges being
    > expensive, the print quality is so, so and is slow. No matter how much

    you
    > align it, it never seems to print the page correctly. The paper feed will
    > always eventually feed it incorrectly no matter what weight paper you use.
    >
    > The software driver/application is annoying, and you need to use it on

    Win2K
    > to access all the features correctly. It does strange things to the

    Windows
    > print spooler. I had so many issues that I ended up calling their

    technical
    > support line (I am an IT professional). Their technical support help was
    > fractured and useless. I ended up emailing them multiple times, and each
    > time they responding with even more useless than before answers. The
    > Scanner function itself is barely useable. To have a device that

    functions
    > so poorly, I can't help but to think that it was a defect that got through
    > or something. If this is how all their products were, Lexmark would be

    out
    > of business.
    >
    > All in all this particular Lexmark X73 All in one printer/scanner/copier

    has
    > been a waste of money, time, and nothing short of a complete nightmare.
    > Maybe they fixed all these problems with the newer models.

    JC Allison:
    Grandpa's SECOND law... If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features!
    :)

    ~~~AllisonWonderland~~~, Dec 11, 2003
  5. jay

    Thor Guest

    "Ink" <> wrote in message
    > > jay wrote:
    > > > I saw this on sale and was wondering if it's any good. It's one of
    > > > those flatbed scanner,copier, and printer all in one combos. That's
    > > > what im looking for an all in one unit. Bought I saw how cheap this
    > > > thing is and was wondering if its a complete piece of junk. I
    > > > currently have an older Lexmark printer and it prints pretty decent
    > > > (cartridges kinda high). If it is a piece of junk could you guys
    > > > recommend something pretty good on a budget. Thanks Jay

    > I have the Lexmark X73 all in one (printer, scanner, copier), and it is

    the
    > biggest piece of junk on earth.

    I agree. Their all-in-one stuff is crap, from what I've seen.

    > I highly suggest avoiding Lexmark, I
    > understand that many people are usually happy with the Lexmark brand, but
    > this one really turns me off to them.

    Their regular printers are ok for office stuff. Not photo quality though.

    > Besides the cartridges being
    > expensive, the print quality is so, so and is slow. No matter how much

    you
    > align it, it never seems to print the page correctly. The paper feed will
    > always eventually feed it incorrectly no matter what weight paper you use.

    Cartridges expensive, yes. I never had paper feed problems with either of
    the two Lexmark printers I've owned, though.

    > The software driver/application is annoying, and you need to use it on

    Win2K
    > to access all the features correctly. It does strange things to the

    Windows
    > print spooler.

    No kidding. It puts a lexmark service dependency on the windows print
    spooler, and even when you uninstall the lexmark printer driver, it leaves
    this little "gift" behind to screw up your next printer installation.
    "LexBCES" is the service IIRC, and it is tied as a dependency to the windows
    print spooler via a registry setting in Win2K/XP. I had to manually remove
    it and the registry entry before my new HP photosmart printer would work
    correctly.

    > I had so many issues that I ended up calling their technical
    > support line (I am an IT professional). Their technical support help was
    > fractured and useless. I ended up emailing them multiple times, and each
    > time they responding with even more useless than before answers. The
    > Scanner function itself is barely useable. To have a device that

    functions
    > so poorly, I can't help but to think that it was a defect that got through
    > or something. If this is how all their products were, Lexmark would be

    out
    > of business.

    FYI: Dell's new printer line is all Lexmark stuff.

    > All in all this particular Lexmark X73 All in one printer/scanner/copier

    has
    > been a waste of money, time, and nothing short of a complete nightmare.
    > Maybe they fixed all these problems with the newer models.

    One can hope. :)

    Thor, Dec 11, 2003
  6. jay

    B.D.Cubit Guest

    A huge fall back with this item is it becomes very costly to repair to do
    its excessive features. Alot of times when one problem goes wrong the whole
    machine will become unusable. I personally would stay away from units such
    as this. Try to find something with fewer bells and whistles but has
    excellent print quality.

    B.D.Cubit, Dec 12, 2003
  7. jay

    Sam Guest