    Windows recognises the new hardware but after running setup from the
    original CD the installation fails without any explanation.

    Anything I can consider. OS is XP SP3 computer a P4 with ca 384 MB of RAM.
    Sam Taylor, Nov 6, 2008

  2. On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:16:11 +0000, Sam Taylor aided th' terraists with
    the following claims :

    > A neighbour is having some trouble with a Lexmark 617 printer in that it
    > refuses to print and although the cable are connected and the computer
    > can see the printer there is obviously a problem.

    Checked the cartriges, did you?
    Hmmm...
    Apparently not...

    > I have removed the printer and attempted to reinstall the drivers.
    > Windows recognises the new hardware but after running setup from the
    > original CD the installation fails without any explanation.
    >
    > Anything I can consider. OS is XP SP3 computer a P4 with ca 384 MB of RAM.

    How do you know theres ink in the sucker?
    :(

    http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg
    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 6, 2008

  3. Sam Taylor

    Sam Taylor Guest

    §ñühwØ£f wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:16:11 +0000, Sam Taylor aided th' terraists with
    > the following claims :
    >
    >> A neighbour is having some trouble with a Lexmark 617 printer in that it
    >> refuses to print and although the cable are connected and the computer
    >> can see the printer there is obviously a problem.
    >>

    > Checked the cartriges, did you?
    > Hmmm...
    > Apparently not...

    Well it did indicate (via voice synthesis) that there was a problem with
    communicating with the printer and that I should check the cables etc...

    Sam Taylor, Nov 6, 2008
  4. Sam Taylor

    chuckcar Guest

    Sam Taylor <b2rcco@deletethisbit_btopenworld.com> wrote in

    > A neighbour is having some trouble with a Lexmark 617 printer in that it
    > refuses to print and although the cable are connected and the computer
    > can see the printer there is obviously a problem.
    >
    > I have removed the printer and attempted to reinstall the drivers.
    > Windows recognises the new hardware but after running setup from the
    > original CD the installation fails without any explanation.
    >
    > Anything I can consider. OS is XP SP3 computer a P4 with ca 384 MB of
    > RAM.

    1. Is there a printer driver for it in printers?
    2. Are there any "bubbles" - red or yellow in device manager.
    3. If #1, can you print a test page from that driver.
    4. When installing a printer, first see if there's a windows driver for it
    by using the add new printer wizard in printers. That's what it's for. You
    should get this if you just plug it in without installing drivers.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 6, 2008
  5. Sam Taylor

    > On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 00:54:59 +0100 (CET), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Sam Taylor <b2rcco@deletethisbit_btopenworld.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> A neighbour is having some trouble with a Lexmark 617 printer in that
    >>> it refuses to print and although the cable are connected and the
    >>> computer can see the printer there is obviously a problem.
    >>>
    >>> I have removed the printer and attempted to reinstall the drivers.
    >>> Windows recognises the new hardware but after running setup from the
    >>> original CD the installation fails without any explanation.
    >>>
    >>> Anything I can consider. OS is XP SP3 computer a P4 with ca 384 MB of
    >>> RAM.

    >>1. Is there a printer driver for it in printers?

    Start->settings->printers. Is there an icon named Lexmark 617? Does it
    have a checkmark next to it?

    >>2. Are there any "bubbles" - red or yellow in device manager.

    Start-> settings-> control panel-> system->device manager

    >>3. If #1, can you print a test page from that driver.

    Right clich the icon for Lexmark 617 and left click on print test page.

    >>4. When installing a printer, first see if there's a windows driver for
    >>it by using the add new printer wizard in printers. That's what it's
    >>for. You should get this if you just plug it in without installing
    >>drivers.

    > The error is stated as "specified print monitor is unknown".
    >
    > I could modify the config file but the edit is overwritten by the
    > install process

    Answer the questions please. Your reply isn't at all helpful.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 8, 2008
  6. Sam Taylor

    >>Start->settings->printers. Is there an icon named Lexmark 617? Does it
    >>have a checkmark next to it?

    >>Start-> settings-> control panel-> system->device manager

    >>Right clich the icon for Lexmark 617 and left click on print test page.

    >>> The error is stated as "specified print monitor is unknown".
    >>>
    >>> I could modify the config file but the edit is overwritten by the
    >>> install process

    >>Answer the questions please. Your reply isn't at all helpful.

    > The printer has been uninstalled. What I am trying to do is to
    > re-instate the device. However, this fails at the last moment with a
    > "specified print monitor is unknown" error.
    >
    > I have doe the above proceedure many times before but I have never had
    > this type of failure,

    Well, you're welcome to try to dream up some troubleshooting method on
    your own, or you can follow my directions and see what the problem is.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 8, 2008
  7. On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 09:57:04 +0000, Nobody aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    >>Try this: download a new driver for the printer from the lexmark website
    >>and install *that*.
    >>Follow this proceedure:
    >>1) download the fuckin driver
    >>2) open Hardware tab in "System" and locate Printer...
    >>3) right click on the fukin printer and choose Properties
    >>4)Click "update driver" and install new driver
    >>5)reboot
    >>6)report back here...
    >>
    >>then...
    >>
    >>wait for it...
    >>
    >>wait for it....
    >>
    >>SMASH YUOR KEYBORD!!!!11111!!!!!!
    >>
    >>HTH

    > *PLONK*

    See what happens when you *dont* smash yer keybord?

    :(

    http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg
    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 9, 2008
  8. Sam Taylor

    Guest

    Sam Taylor <b2rcco@deletethisbit_btopenworld.com> wrote:

    >>Well, you're welcome to try to dream up some troubleshooting method on
    >>your own, or you can follow my directions and see what the problem is.

    >OK I will. However, the method I was told to use came from the
    >Microsoft not something I dreamt up.

    Good choice Chucktart advice will just cause problems for you.

    --

    Think, dropping golf balls
    http://tinyurl.com/6rt75p
  9. Sam Taylor

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > Sam Taylor <b2rcco@deletethisbit_btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>Well, you're welcome to try to dream up some troubleshooting method on
    >>>your own, or you can follow my directions and see what the problem is.

    >>OK I will. However, the method I was told to use came from the
    >>Microsoft not something I dreamt up.

    > Good choice Chucktart advice will just cause problems for you.

    Just F* off. If you have no advice, which more and more you don't bugger
    off.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 9, 2008