    on it, or even show that the driver is installed.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    John Nichols, Aug 9, 2004

  2. John Nichols

    Matt Ion Guest

    She should make sure the USB ports are enabled (in the system BIOS) and that
    USB support is installed (Win98 SE was the first version of Windoze to
    support USB and drivers may not have been included for her particular
    machine's USB hardware). Is she using any other USB devices successfully?

    from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
    incapable of forming such opinions."
    -- Albert Einstein

    "John Nichols" <> wrote in message
    > My wife recently purchased a Lexar Multicard Reader. She has not been

    able

    Matt Ion, Aug 9, 2004

  3. John Nichols

    John Nichols Guest

    She is. She's had no problems running other USB devices.

    "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message
    > She should make sure the USB ports are enabled (in the system BIOS) and

    that
    > USB support is installed (Win98 SE was the first version of Windoze to
    > support USB and drivers may not have been included for her particular
    > machine's USB hardware). Is she using any other USB devices successfully?
    >
    > --
    > "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which

    differ

    John Nichols, Aug 9, 2004
  4. I'm also using Win98SE with a VIA-based USB 2.0 add-on card installed in the
    system.

    The Lexar Media USB Multi Memory Card reader (part number RW018) I recently
    purchased and installed did include a CD-ROM, and installed without error.

    But even without a CD-ROM, you indicate a driver was downloaded, so try
    this...

    Connect the card reader directly to a USB port, rather than connecting the
    card reader to a USB Hub. I had similar issues with two of my digital
    cameras--I couldn't get them to be recognized by the OS using a USB Hub, so
    I just went out and got the card reader instead and disconnected the hub
    completely.

    My guess is that it must be some sort of Win98SE limitation that Mass
    Storage type devices can't communicate with the OS through a USB hub. But
    even if my guess is wrong, the direct connect to the port should work,
    provided that the driver download is for the correct card reader, of course.

    Hope this helps.

    Daniel W. Rouse Jr., Aug 10, 2004
  5. John Nichols

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    John Nichols wrote:
    > My wife recently purchased a Lexar Multicard Reader. She has not been able
    > to get her computer, (running Windows 98 SE) to recognize the card reader.
    > There was no software packaged with the reader, and she tried downloading a
    > driver from the Lexar website. Despite many attempts at installing the
    > driver, her computer refuses to recognize that there is a driver installed
    > on it, or even show that the driver is installed.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Hi John...

    I wonder if she might want to try windows/control panel/add
    new hardware - let windows search for any new plug and play
    hardware. Then if it isn't found, let it continue searching
    for non plug and play stuff...

    Another avenue might be... *right* click on my computer,
    choose properties. Then device manager. Look at the usb
    devices. If it's there, then look at it's properties.
    It may tell you that the device is working properly even
    if no device is installed. So, take a look at driver
    file details. Then choose Update driver, let windows
    search everywhere for a driver (or better driver)

    Hope this helps.

    Take care.
    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Aug 10, 2004
  6. John Nichols

    John Nichols Guest

    Thanks, Ken and Daniel. I will pass both of these on to my wife.
    John Nichols, Aug 11, 2004
  7. John Nichols

    Ken Guest

    I had the same problem. Turns out, I have an HP printer that has a card
    reader already in it. My computer won't recognize both at the same time,
    just one or the other. Probably isn't your problem, but I thought I'd
    pass this along just in case.

    Ken, Aug 11, 2004