Lexar Card Reader Drive Mappings conflict with Network Mappings

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    I've got a Lexar USB 2.0 multi-card reader. When I plug it in it tries
    to take over my first four available drive letters (F:, G:, H:, and
    I:) even though they are mapped to the network.

    The result it that the network mapped drive letters are disconnected,
    and I don't even see the card reader drives.

    If I unmap all four drive letters, the Lexar takes them.

    These first four drives have to be mapped to the network for existing
    software to work .

    I thought the card reader would be flexible enough to figure out what
    drive's are open. Is there any way around this other then moving my
    four network drives up to J:, K:, L:, and M: to let the Lexar take
    F-I?

    Thanks,
    Eric

    Eric, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Eric

    Rich Guest

    right click my computer (win xp) ans select manage - the from within that
    menu change the drive letters of the individual drives created by the
    lexar - bob with then be your father's brother.

    Rich
    www.digitalmood.co.uk

    Rich, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Letters for drive designations - how quaint...

    Randall Ainsworth, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Eric

    Robert Lynch Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > Letters for drive designations - how quaint...

    Snide attitude - how helpful...

    Robert Lynch, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Eric

    Helen Rapozo Guest

    "Eric" <> wrote:
    > I've got a Lexar USB 2.0 multi-card reader. When I plug it in it tries
    > to take over my first four available drive letters (F:, G:, H:, and
    > I:) even though they are mapped to the network.
    >
    > The result it that the network mapped drive letters are disconnected,
    > and I don't even see the card reader drives.
    >
    > If I unmap all four drive letters, the Lexar takes them.
    >
    > These first four drives have to be mapped to the network for existing
    > software to work .
    >
    > I thought the card reader would be flexible enough to figure out what
    > drive's are open. Is there any way around this other then moving my
    > four network drives up to J:, K:, L:, and M: to let the Lexar take
    > F-I?

    Since the Lexar is a USB device you can plug it anytime. So plug the
    Lexar after the computer is fully started.

    As to why it is doing this, in the grand scheme of things during startup
    network drives are mapped kind of late in the startup process so if
    your Lexar is plugged in during the startup process it takes the next
    available drive letters which happens to be those network drives
    you had before.

    This solution should work unless your USB port is in a hard to reach
    place.

    Helen Rapozo, Jan 15, 2004
  6. Eric

    Eric Guest

    The assigning of the Drive letters through Disk manager did the trick.
    I looked there at one point but didn't look closely enough.

    I wouldn't have thought you could assign permanent drive letters to
    the removeable card and have them stick regardless of reboots and/or
    unplugging.

    Thank you for your help.

    Eric, Jan 16, 2004