Lexar 40X CF Card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SkyPilot, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. SkyPilot

    SkyPilot Guest

    About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.

    So, I would like to tell about something good.

    I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out the
    door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted my
    pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there. It
    wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then to
    my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
    uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
    night before.

    I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF card
    was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a chance
    on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
    immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519- which
    is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera on.

    Lexar makes a good product...

    Brian
    Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
    Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
    B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
    Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
    Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
    "Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"

    SkyPilot, Dec 23, 2004

  2. SkyPilot

    tomcas Guest

    SkyPilot wrote:
    > About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.
    >
    > So, I would like to tell about something good.
    >
    > I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out the
    > door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted my
    > pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there. It
    > wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then to
    > my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
    > uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
    > night before.
    >
    > I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF card
    > was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a chance
    > on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
    > immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519- which
    > is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera on.
    >
    > Lexar makes a good product...

    I wonder how a micro drive would have fared.

    tomcas, Dec 23, 2004

  3. SkyPilot

    Clyde Torres Guest

    "SkyPilot" <> wrote in message
    > About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.
    >
    > So, I would like to tell about something good.
    >
    > I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out

    the
    > door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted

    my
    > pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there.

    It
    > wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then

    > my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
    > uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
    > night before.
    >
    > I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF

    card
    > was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a

    chance
    > on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
    > immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519-

    which
    > is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera

    on.

    > Lexar makes a good product...
    >
    > Brian

    I hate to be the pessimist, Brian, but you're not out of the woods yet. The
    problem that you have started is called corrosion. It doesn't happen
    overnight.

    Clyde Torres

    Clyde Torres, Dec 23, 2004
  4. SkyPilot

    Robert Scott Guest

    Good thing it was empty... it would have sucked if you washed off several
    hundred images! Maybe they wouldn't have washed completely off, but I bet
    they would have been faded, at the very least.... ;-)

    Good shooting,
    Bob Scott

    Robert Scott, Dec 23, 2004
  5. SkyPilot <> writes:

    > and not wanting to take a chance
    > on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer.

    :-> Got your priorities, huh?

    Phil Stripling, Dec 23, 2004
  6. SkyPilot

    MrB Guest

    I washed a Palm Pilot a year ago. It didn't fare well, but the SD card is
    still in service.
    Damned cargo pockets!

    MrB, Dec 23, 2004
  7. SkyPilot

    howard Guest

    new method for "cleaning" dirty pictures.........needs more work!

    HNY

    howard, Dec 23, 2004
  8. SkyPilot

    Mark² Guest

    "SkyPilot" <> wrote in message
    > About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.
    >
    > So, I would like to tell about something good.
    >
    > I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out

    the
    > door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted

    my
    > pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there.

    It
    > wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then

    > my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
    > uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
    > night before.
    >
    > I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF

    card
    > was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a

    chance
    > on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
    > immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519-

    which
    > is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera

    on.

    > Lexar makes a good product...

    Are you sure it's Lexar?

    I's say it's really your washing machine company that makes a good product!

    Mark², Dec 23, 2004
  9. SkyPilot

    Mark² Guest

    "SkyPilot" <> wrote in message
    > About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.
    >
    > So, I would like to tell about something good.
    >
    > I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out

    the
    > door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted

    my
    > pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there.

    It
    > wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then

    > my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
    > uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
    > night before.
    >
    > I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF

    card
    > was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a

    chance
    > on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
    > immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519-

    which
    > is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera

    on.

    > Lexar makes a good product...

    The washing machines only erase "dirty" images away like those naughty nudie
    pictures that Skip M takes.

    Mark², Dec 23, 2004
  10. SkyPilot

    Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Clyde Torres" <> stated
    that:

    [washed CF card]

    >I hate to be the pessimist, Brian, but you're not out of the woods yet. The
    >problem that you have started is called corrosion. It doesn't happen
    >overnight.

    True. The solution is to 'bake' the card in a dry, warm (not hot!)
    environment for a few days to drive out the moisture. Putting it in a
    small box with some dessicant sachets (eg; from pill bottles or
    equipment boxes) & in front of a heater should do the job nicely.

    , Dec 23, 2004
  11. SkyPilot

    Guest

    I guess that I should have mentioned in my original post that this
    happened over two months ago. I am just now getting around to writing
    the story.

    That CF card is still plugging along.

    Brian

    , Dec 23, 2004
  12. SkyPilot

    Jer Guest

    SkyPilot wrote:
    > About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.
    >
    > So, I would like to tell about something good.
    >
    > I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out the
    > door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted my
    > pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there. It
    > wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then to
    > my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
    > uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
    > night before.
    >
    > I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF card
    > was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a chance
    > on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
    > immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519- which
    > is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera on.
    >
    > Lexar makes a good product...
    >
    > Brian

    ..... maybe if you had used enzyme soak cycle things would've turn out
    different?

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Dec 23, 2004
  13. SkyPilot

    steven Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I guess that I should have mentioned in my original post that this
    > happened over two months ago. I am just now getting around to writing
    > the story.
    >
    > That CF card is still plugging along.
    >
    > Brian

    I sounds amazing that a CF card would survive a machine wash programme, but
    that's more or less what I'd expect of any brand. After all, during
    production the printed circuit board is baked at > 200°C, and I can't see
    any mechanical problems either.
    Clyde is right, however. At least partly. Corrosion could become a problem
    if there remain contaminants on the contacts or chip pins. The packages of
    the chips are sealed.
    If it happens again (you just *know* it will) rince in distilled water, that
    will wash away any contaminants. Then force-dry, a hairdryer will do fine.
    The card has been wet for a short time, but is now clean and dry. I guess a
    week in south-east Asia during the monsoon season will be worse,
    corrosion-wise.
    If I'm wrong and the card would fail after all (which I hope it doesn't),
    please let us know.

    Steven

    steven, Dec 23, 2004