    I used Times New Roman / Courier New.
    I'm using windows 98 SE.

    Alex
    Alex, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Alex

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Alex composed the following ...
    > I just bought a new 17 inch monitor to replace my trusted
    > old 15 inch (it blew something and no longer shows the color red).
    >
    > However, in the highest and best resolution, 1280 x 1024,
    > the letters appear very small. They also don't seem as solid
    > as on my 15 inch screen, they seem fuzzy.
    >
    > *Is there something I can do about this?* Or is this just the
    > nature of this resolution?
    >
    > I used Times New Roman / Courier New.
    > I'm using windows 98 SE.
    >
    > Alex

    I use 1280 x 960 on a 19" monitor .. on my 17" I used 1024 x 768

    Both give a reasonable text / desktop size.

    I think you're trying to 'see' too much .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
    Paul - xxx, Dec 22, 2004

  3. Alex

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:45:13 +0100, Alex wrote:

    >I just bought a new 17 inch monitor to replace my trusted
    >old 15 inch (it blew something and no longer shows the color red).
    >
    >However, in the highest and best resolution, 1280 x 1024,
    >the letters appear very small. They also don't seem as solid
    >as on my 15 inch screen, they seem fuzzy.

    Check the refresh rates for the video card settings match the monitor
    and that it's not interlaced.

    (For Win 2000 with an NVIDIA card)
    Control / Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Monitor
    Refresh Frequency.

    You may find you need the video card driver and a monitor driver file.

    >*Is there something I can do about this?* Or is this just the
    >nature of this resolution?

    Partly the nature of the resolution, the characters remain the same
    size. If your 15" res was 1024x768, and the 17" is 1280x1024 a 20 x 20
    pixel character uses a smaller relative area on the screen to display.

    Some video card drivers allow a scaling factor to be set, the small
    (usually default) font is 96dpi and large is 125% 120dpi.

    Control / Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / General (it may not be
    that exact path for your driver)

    You can -
    Try large fonts, or if there is the option of other to go larger/smaller
    % scaling.

    >I used Times New Roman / Courier New.
    >I'm using windows 98 SE.

    I have also done the following, where the video driver doesn't allow %
    scaling.

    Still in display properties , this time the appearance tab.

    Click on the Message Text / Window titles etc. change the font / font
    sizes to suit and save that as a new default scheme.

    >Alex

    Me
    why?, Dec 22, 2004
  4. Alex

    Saul Reiss Guest

    Just my opinion but with a 17 inch monitor you should only go to 1024 X 768
    resolution. Any higher and everything will be too small. You also can change
    your display settings to use large font in the advance settings. So with
    1024 X 768 res. and with large fonts, you should be just fine.

    Saul Reiss, Dec 22, 2004
  5. Alex

    dadiOH Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > I just bought a new 17 inch monitor to replace my trusted
    > old 15 inch (it blew something and no longer shows the color red).
    >
    > However, in the highest and best resolution, 1280 x 1024,
    > the letters appear very small. They also don't seem as solid
    > as on my 15 inch screen, they seem fuzzy.
    >
    > *Is there something I can do about this?* Or is this just the
    > nature of this resolution?

    Told you how to do it in your alt.windows98 post

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    dadiOH, Dec 22, 2004
  6. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Letters have shadows/don't seem "solid" (Re: Lettering at 17 inch monitor)

    "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> schreef in bericht

    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:45:13 +0100, Alex wrote:
    >
    > >I just bought a new 17 inch monitor to replace my trusted
    > >old 15 inch (it blew something and no longer shows the color red).
    > >
    > >However, in the highest and best resolution, 1280 x 1024,
    > >the letters appear very small. They also don't seem as solid
    > >as on my 15 inch screen, they seem fuzzy.

    > Check the refresh rates for the video card settings match the monitor
    > and that it's not interlaced.
    >
    > (For Win 2000 with an NVIDIA card)
    > Control / Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Monitor
    > Refresh Frequency.
    >
    > You may find you need the video card driver and a monitor driver file.
    >
    > >*Is there something I can do about this?* Or is this just the
    > >nature of this resolution?

    > Partly the nature of the resolution, the characters remain the same
    > size. If your 15" res was 1024x768, and the 17" is 1280x1024 a 20 x 20
    > pixel character uses a smaller relative area on the screen to display.
    >
    > Some video card drivers allow a scaling factor to be set, the small
    > (usually default) font is 96dpi and large is 125% 120dpi.
    >
    > Control / Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / General (it may not be
    > that exact path for your driver)
    >
    > You can -
    > Try large fonts, or if there is the option of other to go larger/smaller
    > % scaling.
    >
    > >I used Times New Roman / Courier New.
    > >I'm using windows 98 SE.

    > I have also done the following, where the video driver doesn't allow %
    > scaling.
    >
    > Still in display properties , this time the appearance tab.
    >
    > Click on the Message Text / Window titles etc. change the font / font
    > sizes to suit and save that as a new default scheme.

    Thanks, this has been the most complete response so far.

    I have set the monitor to 1024/768. The hardware has the following specifications:

    motherboard/videocard : SiS 630/730
    monitor: LG Flatron L1715S

    Perhaps I need to do something about the frequency as you suggested.

    I'm sure there is some setting that I should use, but meanwhile
    this lettering feels like it's killing my eyes.

    The new monitor is an improvement in some ways, but the
    readability still needs some work.

    Alex
    Alex, Dec 23, 2004
  7. Alex

    why? Guest

    Re: Letters have shadows/don't seem "solid" (Re: Lettering at 17 inch monitor)

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:12:30 +0100, Alex wrote:

    >"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> schreef in bericht
    >>
    >> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:45:13 +0100, Alex wrote:
    >>
    >> >I just bought a new 17 inch monitor to replace my trusted
    >> >old 15 inch (it blew something and no longer shows the color red).
    >> >
    >> >However, in the highest and best resolution, 1280 x 1024,
    >> >the letters appear very small. They also don't seem as solid
    >> >as on my 15 inch screen, they seem fuzzy.

    >> Check the refresh rates for the video card settings match the monitor
    >> and that it's not interlaced.
    >>
    >> (For Win 2000 with an NVIDIA card)
    >> Control / Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Monitor
    >> Refresh Frequency.
    >>
    >> You may find you need the video card driver and a monitor driver file.
    >>
    >> >*Is there something I can do about this?* Or is this just the
    >> >nature of this resolution?

    >> Partly the nature of the resolution, the characters remain the same
    >> size. If your 15" res was 1024x768, and the 17" is 1280x1024 a 20 x 20
    >> pixel character uses a smaller relative area on the screen to display.
    >>
    >> Some video card drivers allow a scaling factor to be set, the small
    >> (usually default) font is 96dpi and large is 125% 120dpi.
    >>
    >> Control / Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / General (it may not be
    >> that exact path for your driver)
    >>
    >> You can -
    >> Try large fonts, or if there is the option of other to go larger/smaller
    >> % scaling.
    >>
    >> >I used Times New Roman / Courier New.
    >> >I'm using windows 98 SE.

    >> I have also done the following, where the video driver doesn't allow %
    >> scaling.
    >>
    >> Still in display properties , this time the appearance tab.
    >>
    >> Click on the Message Text / Window titles etc. change the font / font
    >> sizes to suit and save that as a new default scheme.

    >Thanks, this has been the most complete response so far.

    YW.

    >I have set the monitor to 1024/768. The hardware has the following specifications:
    >
    >motherboard/videocard : SiS 630/730
    >monitor: LG Flatron L1715S

    The monitor max settings are 1280 x 1024 / 75 Hz, that on a 17" would
    cause me issues as will. About the best I can see on a 17" is 1152x864
    75Hz and that's using the 2nd method I said by increasinf the font sizes
    in the appearance tab.

    I am using , Samsung 191T 1280x1024 scaling large fonts 125% on a NVIDIA
    GeForce2 MX200.

    >Perhaps I need to do something about the frequency as you suggested.

    That's one thing to check :)

    >I'm sure there is some setting that I should use, but meanwhile
    >this lettering feels like it's killing my eyes.

    This bit will help a lot,

    >> Still in display properties , this time the appearance tab.
    >>
    >> Click on the Message Text / Window titles etc. change the font / font
    >> sizes to suit and save that as a new default scheme.

    >The new monitor is an improvement in some ways, but the
    >readability still needs some work.
    >
    >Alex

    Me
    why?, Dec 23, 2004
  8. Alex

    Alex Guest

    > On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:12:30 +0100, Alex wrote:
    >

    > >"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> schreef in bericht

    > >> Check the refresh rates for the video card settings match the monitor
    > >> and that it's not interlaced.
    > >>
    > >> (For Win 2000 with an NVIDIA card)
    > >> Control / Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Monitor
    > >> Refresh Frequency.
    > >>
    > >> You may find you need the video card driver and a monitor driver file.

    > >> Partly the nature of the resolution, the characters remain the same
    > >> size. If your 15" res was 1024x768, and the 17" is 1280x1024 a 20 x 20
    > >> pixel character uses a smaller relative area on the screen to display.
    > >>
    > >> Some video card drivers allow a scaling factor to be set, the small
    > >> (usually default) font is 96dpi and large is 125% 120dpi.
    > >>
    > >> Control / Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / General (it may not be
    > >> that exact path for your driver)
    > >>
    > >> You can -
    > >> Try large fonts, or if there is the option of other to go larger/smaller
    > >> % scaling.

    > >> I have also done the following, where the video driver doesn't allow %
    > >> scaling.
    > >>
    > >> Still in display properties , this time the appearance tab.
    > >>
    > >> Click on the Message Text / Window titles etc. change the font / font
    > >> sizes to suit and save that as a new default scheme.

    > >Thanks, this has been the most complete response so far.

    > YW.
    >
    > >I have set the monitor to 1024/768. The hardware has the following specifications:
    > >
    > >motherboard/videocard : SiS 630/730
    > >monitor: LG Flatron L1715S

    > The monitor max settings are 1280 x 1024 / 75 Hz, that on a 17" would
    > cause me issues as will. About the best I can see on a 17" is 1152x864
    > 75Hz and that's using the 2nd method I said by increasinf the font sizes
    > in the appearance tab.
    >
    > I am using , Samsung 191T 1280x1024 scaling large fonts 125% on a NVIDIA
    > GeForce2 MX200.
    >
    > >Perhaps I need to do something about the frequency as you suggested.

    > That's one thing to check :)
    >
    > >I'm sure there is some setting that I should use, but meanwhile
    > >this lettering feels like it's killing my eyes.

    > This bit will help a lot,

    Thanks again.

    The thing is that under 1280x1024, the letters look like they used
    with the old 15 inch monitor (600x400). Only really small, just
    like the icons.

    Alex
    Alex, Dec 23, 2004
  9. Alex

    Guest

    Re: Letters have shadows/don't seem "solid" (Re: Lettering at 17 inch monitor)

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:20:57 +0100, "Alex" <>
    wrote:

    |> The thing is that under 1280x1024, the letters look like they used
    |> with the old 15 inch monitor (600x400). Only really small, just
    |> like the icons.

    Your pry running in to dot pitch now.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/d/dot_pitch.html

    The cheaper the monitor the higher the dot pitch.

    --
    , Dec 23, 2004
  10. Alex

    dadiOH Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > The thing is that under 1280x1024, the letters look like they used
    > with the old 15 inch monitor (600x400). Only really small, just
    > like the icons.

    Right. And as I and others keep telling you the sizes (of both) can be
    changed in Display Properties|Appearance. Make the things as big as you
    want. Is there some reason you resist applying a simple solution??

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    dadiOH, Dec 23, 2004
  11. Alex

    why? Guest

    Re: Letters have shadows/don't seem "solid" (Re: Lettering at 17 inch monitor)

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:20:57 +0100, Alex wrote:

    >"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> schreef in bericht
    >>
    >> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:12:30 +0100, Alex wrote:
    >>

    >> >"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> schreef in bericht

    <snip>

    >> >Thanks, this has been the most complete response so far.

    >> YW.
    >>
    >> >I have set the monitor to 1024/768. The hardware has the following specifications:
    >> >
    >> >motherboard/videocard : SiS 630/730
    >> >monitor: LG Flatron L1715S

    >> The monitor max settings are 1280 x 1024 / 75 Hz, that on a 17" would
    >> cause me issues as will. About the best I can see on a 17" is 1152x864
    >> 75Hz and that's using the 2nd method I said by increasinf the font sizes
    >> in the appearance tab.
    >>
    >> I am using , Samsung 191T 1280x1024 scaling large fonts 125% on a NVIDIA
    >> GeForce2 MX200.
    >>
    >> >Perhaps I need to do something about the frequency as you suggested.

    >> That's one thing to check :)
    >>
    >> >I'm sure there is some setting that I should use, but meanwhile
    >> >this lettering feels like it's killing my eyes.

    >> This bit will help a lot,

    >Thanks again.
    >
    >The thing is that under 1280x1024, the letters look like they used
    >with the old 15 inch monitor (600x400). Only really small, just
    >like the icons.
    >
    >Alex

    Is there something you don't understand?

    In control panel / display / on the appearance tab, select each bit of
    text and alter the font / size.

    My effects tab also has a - use large icons option.

    Back on the Item list on the appearance tab you can also select
    Icon/vertical / horizontal spacing.

    Me
    why?, Dec 24, 2004