    Any help appreciated.

    TIA
    , Jul 7, 2003

  2. Smoker Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I hope this post gets thru, tried 3 time before:
    > How do I remove the "Arrow Tail" from my shortcut icons? I know it's been
    > asked before, but I could not find it doing a Deja-News search.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    Download Tweakui. You can make the arrow light or not show at all.
    Smoker, Jul 7, 2003

  3. trout Guest

    Smoker wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> I hope this post gets thru, tried 3 time before:
    >> How do I remove the "Arrow Tail" from my shortcut icons? I know
    >> it's been asked before, but I could not find it doing a Deja-News
    >> search.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated.
    >>

    > Download Tweakui. You can make the arrow light or not show at all.

    Maybe. Probably not.

    A Microsoft critical update that replaced the
    'shell32.dll' file prevents "TweakUI" from changing
    or removing the arrows.
    You could get around this by fiddling in the registry (which I'm not
    going to try to describe), or with the free software solution:
    TweakAll3 by Codeforge:
    <http://www.codeforge.co.uk/mainframes.htm>

    Note: This caused an irregularity for me (Win98SE) by showing a double
    list of some options in the (right-click) context menu for affected
    files.
    --
    "YMMV."
    trout, Jul 7, 2003
  4. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Sun, 6 Jul 2003 21:47:27
    -0700, trout uttered this:

    >Smoker wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> I hope this post gets thru, tried 3 time before:
    >>> How do I remove the "Arrow Tail" from my shortcut icons? I know
    >>> it's been asked before, but I could not find it doing a Deja-News
    >>> search.
    >>>
    >>> Any help appreciated.
    >>>

    >> Download Tweakui. You can make the arrow light or not show at all.

    > Maybe. Probably not.
    >
    > A Microsoft critical update that replaced the
    >'shell32.dll' file prevents "TweakUI" from changing
    >or removing the arrows.

    Hmm...sounds like a case of MS saying what you can or can't do
    on your own machine.

    > You could get around this by fiddling in the registry (which I'm not
    >going to try to describe), or with the free software solution:
    > TweakAll3 by Codeforge:
    ><http://www.codeforge.co.uk/mainframes.htm>
    >
    >Note: This caused an irregularity for me (Win98SE) by showing a double
    >list of some options in the (right-click) context menu for affected
    >files.

    When I had 98 / 98SE, I used X-teq X-setup. It had a lot of useful tweaks, &
    completely removed the arrows. It's free too. :)
    http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/index.html
    William Poaster, Jul 7, 2003
  5. Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as William Poaster continued:

    >> A Microsoft critical update that replaced the
    >> 'shell32.dll' file prevents "TweakUI" from changing
    >> or removing the arrows.

    > Hmm...sounds like a case of MS saying what you can or can't do
    > on your own machine.

    Nothing new there then. Must be just a tester, something small and
    insignificant, but doesn't bode well for the future :-(

    > When I had 98 / 98SE, I used X-teq X-setup. It had a lot of useful
    > tweaks, & completely removed the arrows. It's free too. :)
    > http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/index.html

    Excellent bit of software - highly recommended !!
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    Slumpy, Jul 7, 2003
  6. Plato Guest

    William Poaster wrote:

    > > A Microsoft critical update that replaced the
    > >'shell32.dll' file prevents "TweakUI" from changing
    > >or removing the arrows.

    > Hmm...sounds like a case of MS saying what you can or can't do
    > on your own machine.

    Hehe, it may be YOUR machine, but the fact remains that it is THEIR
    software, like it or not and they can do as they please with THEIR
    software.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 7, 2003
  7. trout Guest

    William Poaster wrote:

    > When I had 98 / 98SE, I used X-teq X-setup. It had a lot of useful
    > tweaks, & completely removed the arrows. It's free too. :)
    > http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/index.html

    Thanks, William. I may have another look at that.
    (I eventually got rid of the arrows by using a different version of the
    dll; with °Mike°'s assistance.)
    I *think* I downloaded X-setup once before, had trouble with a bad
    install, and put the whole business on the back burner for a while.
    --
    "And things have a way of falling off the back of the stove."
    trout, Jul 7, 2003
  8. °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:52:57 -0700, in
    <becfip$3j744$>
    trout scrawled:

    >William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> When I had 98 / 98SE, I used X-teq X-setup. It had a lot of useful
    >> tweaks, & completely removed the arrows. It's free too. :)
    >> http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/index.html

    > Thanks, William. I may have another look at that.
    >(I eventually got rid of the arrows by using a different version of the
    >dll; with °Mike°'s assistance.)
    > I *think* I downloaded X-setup once before, had trouble with a bad
    >install, and put the whole business on the back burner for a while.

    X-setup didn't like my 98SE system either. I had to uninstall.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 7, 2003
  9. trout Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > In a desperate cry for help trout said:
    >
    >> William Poaster wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I had 98 / 98SE, I used X-teq X-setup. It had a lot of useful
    >>> tweaks, & completely removed the arrows. It's free too. :)
    >>> http://www.xteq.com/products/xset/index.html

    >> Thanks, William. I may have another look at that.
    >> (I eventually got rid of the arrows by using a different version of
    >> the dll; with °Mike°'s assistance.)
    >> I *think* I downloaded X-setup once before, had trouble with a
    >> bad install, and put the whole business on the back burner for a
    >> while.

    > I've got a clean copy on my software page.

    Thanks. I'll put a copy in my "Downloaded Programs" folder for
    rainy-day fiddling.
    --
    "And see what I can bugger-up *this* time."
    trout, Jul 7, 2003