    I saw this Leica Digilux 2. Now it doesn't seem like such an easy decision
    for me. Any comments or insights?

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Jimmy Smith

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Jimmy Smith wrote:

    > So what exactly do you think about the control laid out as rings on the
    > lens? What type of advantages or disadvantages will this hold for the
    > digital photographers? I was waiting and all set to get the Sony F828 until
    > I saw this Leica Digilux 2. Now it doesn't seem like such an easy decision
    > for me. Any comments or insights?

    The zoom and focus rings are about 1000% better than most of the zoom/focus
    methods used in non-slr cameras.

    The zoom is darn near instant.. It's as fast as you can turn the ring. That's
    much better than pressing a rocker switch and waiting for a motor to grind the
    lens in and out.

    It's also a faster way to manual focus as well.. The only downside to manual
    focussing on the new Leica is that they use an electronic viewfinder.. EVF's
    are usually grainy which makes it difficult to judge whether you're focus is
    correct.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 5, 2003

  3. "Jim Townsend" <> wrote:

    > The zoom and focus rings are about 1000% better than most of the

    zoom/focus
    > methods used in non-slr cameras.
    >
    > The zoom is darn near instant.. It's as fast as you can turn the ring.

    That's
    > much better than pressing a rocker switch and waiting for a motor to grind

    the
    > lens in and out.
    >
    > It's also a faster way to manual focus as well.. The only downside to

    manual
    > focussing on the new Leica is that they use an electronic viewfinder..

    EVF's
    > are usually grainy which makes it difficult to judge whether you're focus

    is
    > correct.

    Some (most???, all???) EVF cameras operate in DOF preview mode all the time,
    so manual focus is essentially impossible. (Even with a magnification
    function, DOF is too large. And these small cameras have humongous DOF
    anyway.)

    Does this camera fix this and open up the aperture for focusing?

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 5, 2003