    catalogue like Sony does. The last thing we need is a half baked product
    like red laser HD that merely improves the picture quality by improves on
    the compression scheme.

    Goldfinger, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Goldfinger

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    news:Lx2La.2243$...

    > I agree, I want Blue Laser to win. I see no reason why it can't, but
    > Microsoft has lots of money (Sony has $40 billion in the bank, how much
    > does Microsoft have?), and money can help you to win these kinds of wars.

    MS probably has a bigger chest but that didn't win them the console war
    against Sony's PS2. I just don't understand what's the significance of
    backward compatibility in this case. DVD players are selling for less than
    $100 these days and in 5 years, they are going for $60 at most. If the
    manufacturers want, they can build a twin laser HD DVD player at very little
    extra cost.

    Goldfinger, Jun 27, 2003

  3. "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote...

    > I agree, I want Blue Laser to win. I see no reason why it can't, but
    > Microsoft has lots of money (Sony has $40 billion in the bank, how much
    > does Microsoft have?), and money can help you to win these kinds of wars.

    I can't see the DVD Forum ever choosing the Microsoft option. Isn't WM9
    a proprietary format? So every DVD made would include a royalty to
    Microsoft, unless they are giving it away for free. I don't think any of
    the
    manufacturers or hollywood wood ever sell their soul to Microsoft like that.

    Joe Thousandaire, Jun 27, 2003
  4. Goldfinger

    Trevor S Guest

    "Joe Thousandaire" <> wrote in

    > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote...
    >>
    >> I agree, I want Blue Laser to win. I see no reason why it can't, but
    >> Microsoft has lots of money (Sony has $40 billion in the bank, how
    >> much does Microsoft have?), and money can help you to win these kinds
    >> of wars.
    >>

    > I can't see the DVD Forum ever choosing the Microsoft option. Isn't
    > WM9 a proprietary format? So every DVD made would include a royalty to
    > Microsoft, unless they are giving it away for free. I don't think any
    > of the
    > manufacturers or hollywood wood ever sell their soul to Microsoft like
    > that.

    WHy not, they seem to have convinced the general public to...

    Trevor S

    Trevor S, Jun 27, 2003
  5. Goldfinger wrote:
    > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>I agree, I want Blue Laser to win. I see no reason why it can't, but
    >>Microsoft has lots of money (Sony has $40 billion in the bank, how much
    >>does Microsoft have?), and money can help you to win these kinds of wars.

    > MS probably has a bigger chest but that didn't win them the console war
    > against Sony's PS2. I just don't understand what's the significance of
    > backward compatibility in this case. DVD players are selling for less than
    > $100 these days and in 5 years, they are going for $60 at most. If the
    > manufacturers want, they can build a twin laser HD DVD player at very little
    > extra cost.

    It's not backwards compatibility, which blue laser could provide against
    red laser DVDs, it's that current manufacturing methods as well as
    current lasers could be used. Toshiba's blue laser format also uses
    current manufacturing methods yet does not use existing red lasers. The
    2002 market price for a blue laser diode was around $1,000 (don't know
    how much that's changed since Sony released their blue-laser recorder).
    Of course there aren't many makers to choose from, and you know the
    old supply and demand rule. Once they actually start making the things
    the price will go down.

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 27, 2003
  6. Joe Thousandaire wrote:
    > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote...
    >
    >>I agree, I want Blue Laser to win. I see no reason why it can't, but
    >>Microsoft has lots of money (Sony has $40 billion in the bank, how much
    >>does Microsoft have?), and money can help you to win these kinds of wars.
    >>

    > I can't see the DVD Forum ever choosing the Microsoft option. Isn't WM9
    > a proprietary format? So every DVD made would include a royalty to
    > Microsoft, unless they are giving it away for free. I don't think any of
    > the
    > manufacturers or hollywood wood ever sell their soul to Microsoft like that.

    I believe the term "DVD Video" is proprietary to Warner Bros., and
    besides for each DVD device ten or twenty dollars goes to the DVD
    consortium made of all the manufacturers, so it really isn't anything
    new. Of course, Microsoft isn't interested in small royalties. They'll
    leave the contract open so they can up the ante if it's successful.
    You're talking about a company that sells a multi-user OS and then
    charges through the nose for each client user, total rip-off and
    possibly illegal.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 27, 2003
  7. Jay G wrote:
    > "Goldfinger" <> wrote ...
    >
    >>http://www.dvdtalk.com/ourweek/

    > What's odd is that the war for an HD-DVD format
    > seems more about the battle between X-Box
    > and PS3.
    >
    > -Jay

    Oh, I doubt it. I'm hoping Sony's format will win though. I prefer
    Toshiba as a brand over Sony, but Sony's format holds about ten gigs
    more, meaning better picture quality.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 27, 2003
  8. fGrand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > Joe Thousandaire wrote:
    > > "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote...
    > >
    > >>I agree, I want Blue Laser to win. I see no reason why it can't, but
    > >>Microsoft has lots of money (Sony has $40 billion in the bank, how much
    > >>does Microsoft have?), and money can help you to win these kinds of wars.
    > >>

    > > I can't see the DVD Forum ever choosing the Microsoft option. Isn't WM9
    > > a proprietary format? So every DVD made would include a royalty to
    > > Microsoft, unless they are giving it away for free. I don't think any of
    > > the
    > > manufacturers or hollywood wood ever sell their soul to Microsoft like that.
    > >

    > I believe the term "DVD Video" is proprietary to Warner Bros., and
    > besides for each DVD device ten or twenty dollars goes to the DVD
    > consortium made of all the manufacturers, so it really isn't anything
    > new. Of course, Microsoft isn't interested in small royalties. They'll
    > leave the contract open so they can up the ante if it's successful.
    > You're talking about a company that sells a multi-user OS and then
    > charges through the nose for each client user, total rip-off and
    > possibly illegal.

    The Monopoly can pretty much get away with just about anything it wants
    to these days. Expect it to do the same in the HD DVD realm. And the
    many other realms it seems hellbent on Borg-ing its way through as well.

    Frank Malczewski, Jun 28, 2003
  9. Goldfinger

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <1fx84bn.i0p2fg1yv3rw6N%>, Frank
    Malczewski <> wrote:

    > The Monopoly can pretty much get away with just about anything it wants
    > to these days. Expect it to do the same in the HD DVD realm. And the
    > many other realms it seems hellbent on Borg-ing its way through as well.

    Yeah, I gotta admit that T2 ExtremeDVD scares the hell outta me.

    <shudder>

    Max Volume, Jun 28, 2003
  10. Goldfinger

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <oe5La.3948$>, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:

    > Microsoft by no means has a monopoly on anything. They have the
    > majority market share, which they ruthlessly protect, but they do not
    > have a monopoly. Look at Sun, SGI, Linux, BSD, Apple, etc.

    Sure, and the U.S. Justice Department are just a bunch of whining
    sissies.

    Max Volume, Jun 28, 2003
  11. Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > Frank Malczewski wrote:
    > > The Monopoly can pretty much get away with just about anything it wants
    > > to these days. Expect it to do the same in the HD DVD realm. And the
    > > many other realms it seems hellbent on Borg-ing its way through as well.

    > Microsoft by no means has a monopoly on anything. They have the
    > majority market share, which they ruthlessly protect, but they do not
    > have a monopoly. Look at Sun, SGI, Linux, BSD, Apple, etc.

    Yeah, right.

    Frank Malczewski, Jun 28, 2003
  12. Max Volume wrote:
    > In article <oe5La.3948$>, Grand Inquisitor
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Microsoft by no means has a monopoly on anything. They have the
    >>majority market share, which they ruthlessly protect, but they do not
    >>have a monopoly. Look at Sun, SGI, Linux, BSD, Apple, etc.

    > Sure, and the U.S. Justice Department are just a bunch of whining
    > sissies.

    So the U.S. government is the objective arbitter of business practices?
    Sure, and Ted Kennedy is sober.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 28, 2003
  13. Frank Malczewski wrote:
    > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:
    >

    >>Frank Malczewski wrote:
    >>
    >>>The Monopoly can pretty much get away with just about anything it wants
    >>>to these days. Expect it to do the same in the HD DVD realm. And the
    >>>many other realms it seems hellbent on Borg-ing its way through as well.

    >>Microsoft by no means has a monopoly on anything. They have the
    >>majority market share, which they ruthlessly protect, but they do not
    >>have a monopoly. Look at Sun, SGI, Linux, BSD, Apple, etc.

    > Yeah, right.

    'Tis true. You just seem to be confused about what a monopoly is.
    Having a majority of the market is not the same thing.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 28, 2003
  14. Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > Frank Malczewski wrote:
    > > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > >>Microsoft by no means has a monopoly on anything. They have the
    > >>majority market share, which they ruthlessly protect, but they do not
    > >>have a monopoly. Look at Sun, SGI, Linux, BSD, Apple, etc.

    > > Yeah, right.

    > 'Tis true. You just seem to be confused about what a monopoly is.
    > Having a majority of the market is not the same thing.

    If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... it's a duck.

    Frank Malczewski, Jun 28, 2003
  15. >If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... it's a duck.

    A majority is not a monopoly.

    Microsoft enjoys a majority, but they are not in complete control of the PC OS
    market as they do have competition with a significant user base using these
    competing operating systems. Microsoft would be a monopoly only if the
    operating system you could buy was just Windows with no other choice being
    available at all. But, there are other operating systems, and each do have
    their fair share of great apps, including some that put the same kind of apps
    for Windows to shame.

    For example, Macs are used quite extensively for graphics work, audio work, and
    video editing. The apps for those kinds of work that are available for MacOS
    are extremely good, perhaps superior to a lot of the stuff designed for the
    same thing on Windows.

    Microsoft has been known to make monopolistic decisions, but they've never
    really achieved a monopoly. They came close at one point, but close only
    counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and tactical nuclear weapons. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jun 28, 2003
  16. Goldfinger

    nXt Guest

    Uhh, DVD Players are going for $49-$59 these days already. (I'm in
    southern California). Check out Wal-Mart or something.

    nXt, Jun 28, 2003
  17. Goldfinger

    Jay G Guest

    "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote
    > It is also legal to be a monopoly.

    No it's not, at least in federal terms:

    Local monopolies, such as there being only one
    local cable company, electricity/gas provider,
    are allowable, although they are subject to a
    lot of regulation. Even on the local level
    it's changing though. There used to be
    only one local phone company, now people
    can usually choose from a half-dozen local
    companies.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jun 28, 2003
  18. Goldfinger

    Jay G Guest

    "Joe Thousandaire" <> wrote

    > I can't see the DVD Forum ever choosing the Microsoft option. Isn't WM9
    > a proprietary format? So every DVD made would include a royalty to
    > Microsoft, unless they are giving it away for free.

    Um, MPEG2, the codec used for DVD, is a proprietary
    format as well. So no change there, except to which
    company gets the royalties.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jun 28, 2003
  19. Goldfinger

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:01:53 GMT, Grand Inquisitor <>
    Gave us:

    >So the U.S. government is the objective arbitter of business practices?
    > Sure, and Ted Kennedy is sober.

    First off, it is ARBITER, there is nothing bitter about the word.

    Secondly, you are stupid to a fault.

    DarkMatter, Jun 28, 2003
  20. Goldfinger

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:02:30 GMT, Grand Inquisitor <>
    Gave us:

    >'Tis true. You just seem to be confused about what a monopoly is.
    >Having a majority of the market is not the same thing.

    And you are confused as to what the mechanisms of MS' monopoly are.

    Braindead, actually.

    DarkMatter, Jun 28, 2003