    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Oct 2, 2003

  2. ArtKramr

    Steve Young Guest

    > "ArtKramr" <> wrote
    > Let's get moderated. Get rid of the trash and enjoy the NG. Why not?

    We don't need to moderate
    we just need to unite as a club
    work together, for the common good

    Steve Young, Oct 2, 2003

  3. "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > Let's get moderated. Get rid of the trash and enjoy the NG. Why not?

    Let's look ahead. If this was a moderated newsgroup participation would
    decrease miserably. Keep in mind a moderator's job would be to limit
    discussion.
    Mark_

    mark_digital©, Oct 2, 2003
  4. ArtKramr

    Scott Coutts Guest

    It depends who is moderating... in this situation, the moderators
    job would be to remove all the obviously irrelevant messages (such
    as "drink my..." and "lick my..." etc.

    The main problem would be to find someone who is prepared to do it.

    Scott Coutts, Oct 2, 2003
  5. ArtKramr

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:56:36 GMT, in this august forum,
    Scott Coutts <> said:

    >It depends who is moderating... in this situation, the moderators
    >job would be to remove all the obviously irrelevant messages (such
    >as "drink my..." and "lick my..." etc.
    >
    >The main problem would be to find someone who is prepared to do it.

    Exactly. Moderating a newsgroup is a major pain in the proverbial. You
    pretty much need two or three retired/unemployed people who have a fair
    amount of time on their hands. Like politics, it's also one of those
    sorts of jobs where the kind of people who're keen to do it are
    generally the last people you /want/ doing it.

    Lionel, Oct 2, 2003
  6. Scott Coutts <> wrote:

    > The main problem would be to find someone who is prepared to do it.

    Not "someone", but a number of people around the world who can work
    together to provide enough coverage to ensure that approved posts get
    passed fairly quickly. Discussions would stop dead if the participants
    had to wait 24 hours or so between each installment.

    But there is a far larger problem with moderated newsgroups--someone who
    can forge e-mail addresses would find it easy to forge approvals....

    Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

    Louise Bremner, Oct 2, 2003
  7. "Scott Coutts" <> wrote in message
    > It depends who is moderating... in this situation, the moderators
    > job would be to remove all the obviously irrelevant messages (such
    > as "drink my..." and "lick my..." etc.
    >
    > The main problem would be to find someone who is prepared to do it.

    I couldn't do it. I got heartburn just setting up the filters on my end.
    Mark_

    mark_digital©, Oct 2, 2003
  8. ArtKramr

    Mxsmanic Guest

    ArtKramr writes:

    > Let's get moderated. Get rid of the trash and enjoy
    > the NG. Why not?

    Because moderation doesn't work, mainly. If you want to start a
    moderated version of the newsgroup, though, go ahead. You'll find out
    for yourself.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 2, 2003
  9. ArtKramr

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Scott Coutts writes:

    > The main problem would be to find someone who is
    > prepared to do it.

    There's never any shortage of people willing to censor speech to fit
    their tastes.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 2, 2003
  10. ArtKramr

    JK Guest

    Moderation sucks. I don't participate in any moderated groups.
    With moderated groups, it takes too long for posts to appear.
    I don't know why so many are making such a fuss about the
    troll. Yes, it is a bit annoying, but so are many things in life.
    One should complain to his ISP, then ignore his posts. If you
    set your news reader to sort by threads, you can easily avoid
    opening his posts.

    JK, Oct 2, 2003
  11. ArtKramr

    Steve Young Guest

    > > "ArtKramr" <> wrote
    > > Let's get moderated. Get rid of the trash and enjoy the NG. Why not?

    > "mark_digital©" <> wrote
    > Let's look ahead. If this was a moderated newsgroup participation would
    > decrease miserably. Keep in mind a moderator's job would be to limit
    > discussion.

    There is such a thing as retro-moderation, where all the normal things go on
    as usual, except the moderators have the ability to delete any posted messages
    or threads. It does not require the pre-approval process of the moderators,
    so posting occurs immediately.

    At heart and for the record, I'm not a big fan of moderation, though I can
    see there are merits worth discussing

    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Oct 2, 2003
  12. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Let's get moderated.
    >From: "mark_digital©"
    >Date: 10/2/03 1:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >

    >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> Let's get moderated. Get rid of the trash and enjoy the NG. Why not?
    >>

    >Let's look ahead. If this was a moderated newsgroup participation would
    >decrease miserably. Keep in mind a moderator's job would be to limit
    >discussion.
    >Mark_

    No. It is to limit garbage that's off topic.

    ArtKramr, Oct 2, 2003
  13. ArtKramr

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:

    > Let's get moderated. Get rid of the trash and enjoy the NG. Why not?
    >

    > Arthur Kramer
    > 344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    NOT. Moderated groups become just the image of the single opinion of
    the moderator. I will NOT post to a moderated group.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 2, 2003
  14. ArtKramr

    Steve Young Guest

    > > ArtKramr wrote:
    > > Let's get moderated. Get rid of the trash and enjoy the NG. Why not?

    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote
    > NOT. Moderated groups become just the image of the single opinion of
    > the moderator. I will NOT post to a moderated group.

    Out of curiosity Ron, would you sit on a board that would once-in-a-while,
    snuff an infrequent bad actors posts, such as these?

    Steve Young, Oct 2, 2003
  15. There is rec.photo.moderated, the only posts is the auto-FAQ

    Darrell Larose, Oct 2, 2003
  16. ArtKramr

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Steve Young wrote:

    >>>ArtKramr wrote:
    >>>Let's get moderated. Get rid of the trash and enjoy the NG. Why not?

    >>"Ron Hunter" <> wrote
    >>NOT. Moderated groups become just the image of the single opinion of
    >>the moderator. I will NOT post to a moderated group.

    > Out of curiosity Ron, would you sit on a board that would once-in-a-while,
    > snuff an infrequent bad actors posts, such as these?

    His posts, no, but maybe the poster.. Will shortly be 'retired', and
    may have more time to dedicate to solving this type of problem. Can travel.

    Back in the CB Radio days persistent potty-mouths had all manner of
    unfortunate things happen to them like shorted antenna cables, and even
    shotgunned antennas... One needs to realize that not everyone on the
    groups is a lawabiding citizen and many of them don't like they guys any
    better than the rest of us. I rather suspect that if a person's real
    name and address could be made available, with suitable evidence,
    something might get done, hopefully by law enforcement.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 2, 2003
  17. "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > Let's get moderated. Get rid of the trash and enjoy the NG. Why not?

    Benjamin Franklin said it best:

    "Those who would give up essential freedoms for security, deserve neither
    freedom nor security"

    You all go ahead. I'll stay.

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Oct 2, 2003
  18. ArtKramr

    Mxsmanic Guest

    ArtKramr writes:

    > No. It is to limit garbage that's off topic.

    That's limiting discussion.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 2, 2003
  19. ArtKramr

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Steve Young writes:

    > Out of curiosity Ron, would you sit on a board that would once-in-a-while,
    > snuff an infrequent bad actors posts, such as these?

    No.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 2, 2003
  20. ArtKramr

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Ron Hunter writes:

    > I rather suspect that if a person's real name and address
    > could be made available, with suitable evidence, something
    > might get done, hopefully by law enforcement.

    Like what?

    Mxsmanic, Oct 2, 2003