    Another (PocketPC) group I follow is right up to date!

    Someone posted an email address to complain to a while back. Would they
    be able to repeat it please?
    Keith, May 17, 2006

  2. Keith

    Rebel Lord Guest

    Keith wrote:

    > One of my international groups (a Pegasus group) hasn't been updated
    > since the 11th on the ClearNet server. Google Groups shows lots more.
    > Another (PocketPC) group I follow is right up to date!
    >
    > Someone posted an email address to complain to a while back. Would they
    > be able to repeat it please?

    What's the group name I just had a quick look on aioe, there are some
    pegasus groups there. Since I don't use windows it's of no interest of
    course but using that server might be an option for you. I'm hoping Ihugs
    server is still up to scratch when the changeover is made...

    On an aside anyone know how I can use Ihug's usenet server from xtra and
    knode.
    Rebel Lord, May 17, 2006

  3. > On an aside anyone know how I can use Ihug's usenet server from xtra and
    > knode.

    ISP's usenet servers are usually IP restricted to their customers only so if
    you are connecting from a different ISP you won't be able to use them. I
    don't know any NZ ISP's who have access via authentication from outside
    their network.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz
    100000+ Speedtests this month and increasing...
    Craig Whitmore, May 17, 2006
  4. On Wed, 17 May 2006 19:20:05 +1200, Keith wrote:

    > One of my international groups (a Pegasus group) hasn't been updated
    > since the 11th on the ClearNet server. Google Groups shows lots more.
    > Another (PocketPC) group I follow is right up to date!

    Clear's nntp server only pulls down newsgroups that people are actually
    reading.

    That is an automated process.

    Have you posted anything to it? And has that been visible in the
    newsgroup in question?

    Do you know if others have posted into that NG but not been visible?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 17, 2006
  5. On Wed, 17 May 2006 19:50:58 +1200, Rebel Lord wrote:

    > On an aside anyone know how I can use Ihug's usenet server from xtra and
    > knode.

    Why are you still connecting through Xtra/Telecon when it has reduced your
    services and kept the price the same?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 17, 2006
  6. Keith

    Rebel Lord Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    >> On an aside anyone know how I can use Ihug's usenet server from xtra
    >> and
    >> knode.

    > ISP's usenet servers are usually IP restricted to their customers only so
    > if you are connecting from a different ISP you won't be able to use them.
    > I don't know any NZ ISP's who have access via authentication from outside
    > their network.

    I suspected as much thanks....might try using ihug's dns servers and see
    if that works but am not holding my breath :) If it fails I can wait the
    week or so it will take to change to the old isp...I blame the border of
    course....we were quite happy on dialup until Ihug came up with a decent
    deal, but he is/was into Eve online and offered to pay for the setup on
    xtra. We all regret the fact with the hassles we have had over the last
    year or so. He doesn't miss the usenet like I do but a couple of nights of
    not doing as good a job of cooking as well as I usually do might make him
    regret the decision.
    Rebel Lord, May 17, 2006
  7. Keith

    Rebel Lord Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 May 2006 19:50:58 +1200, Rebel Lord wrote:
    >
    >> On an aside anyone know how I can use Ihug's usenet server from xtra and
    >> knode.

    > Why are you still connecting through Xtra/Telecon when it has reduced your
    > services and kept the price the same?

    Don't jump to erroneous conclusions,,,I have changed but the changeover
    has not taken effect as yet. I have my Ihug account and can get email etc
    but unfortunately my ISP connection to the net is still xtra and will
    remain so until the switch happens. I was asking if I could connect to
    Ihug's usenet server while still using xtra to connect to the net. If you
    can't answer the question I asked why even bother to comment.
    Rebel Lord, May 17, 2006
  8. Keith

    Keith Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Wed, 17 May 2006 19:20:05 +1200, Keith wrote:
    >
    > > One of my international groups (a Pegasus group) hasn't been updated
    > > since the 11th on the ClearNet server. Google Groups shows lots more.
    > > Another (PocketPC) group I follow is right up to date!

    > Clear's nntp server only pulls down newsgroups that people are actually
    > reading.

    I've successfully lurked on that group for yonks without posting.
    (Wouldn't have the foggiest if there are other Clear subscribers who are
    posting).

    Anyhoo... unsubscribing and resubscribing seems to have brought it up to
    date.
    Keith, May 17, 2006
  9. Keith

    thingy Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 May 2006 19:20:05 +1200, Keith wrote:
    >

    >>One of my international groups (a Pegasus group) hasn't been updated
    >>since the 11th on the ClearNet server. Google Groups shows lots more.
    >>Another (PocketPC) group I follow is right up to date!

    > Clear's nntp server only pulls down newsgroups that people are actually
    > reading.
    >
    > That is an automated process.
    >
    > Have you posted anything to it? And has that been visible in the
    > newsgroup in question?
    >
    > Do you know if others have posted into that NG but not been visible?
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    It should make available the group name and allow you to subscribe,
    otherwise you cannot post to it can you...so you cannot get it ie
    catch22...Indeed this seems to be the case except for those which get
    blocked. ie occasioanlly I find a group that the clear server lists but
    subscribing to the causes an error, then a while later it seems to
    disappear..........like their policy has caught up with the rouge group...

    Generally though I think their server is buggered more than anything
    else, probably because no one with any nounce looks after it..........

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, May 17, 2006
  10. Keith

    Shane Guest

    Rebel Lord wrote:

    > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >

    >>> On an aside anyone know how I can use Ihug's usenet server from xtra
    >>> and
    >>> knode.

    >> ISP's usenet servers are usually IP restricted to their customers only so
    >> if you are connecting from a different ISP you won't be able to use them.
    >> I don't know any NZ ISP's who have access via authentication from outside
    >> their network.
    >>

    > I suspected as much thanks....might try using ihug's dns servers and see
    > if that works but am not holding my breath :) If it fails I can wait the
    > week or so it will take to change to the old isp...I blame the border of
    > course....we were quite happy on dialup until Ihug came up with a decent
    > deal, but he is/was into Eve online and offered to pay for the setup on
    > xtra. We all regret the fact with the hassles we have had over the last
    > year or so. He doesn't miss the usenet like I do but a couple of nights of
    > not doing as good a job of cooking as well as I usually do might make him
    > regret the decision.

    Im missing something in your issue, when I switched from xtra (adsl) to ihug
    (adsl) I was provided an ihug dial up account to use immediately
    How come ihug hasnt done the same for you?

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Shane, May 17, 2006
  11. Keith

    thingy Guest

    Rebel Lord wrote:
    > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >

    >>> On an aside anyone know how I can use Ihug's usenet server from xtra
    >>> and
    >>>knode.

    >>ISP's usenet servers are usually IP restricted to their customers only so
    >>if you are connecting from a different ISP you won't be able to use them.
    >>I don't know any NZ ISP's who have access via authentication from outside
    >>their network.
    >>

    > I suspected as much thanks....might try using ihug's dns servers and see
    > if that works but am not holding my breath :) If it fails I can wait the
    > week or so it will take to change to the old isp...I blame the border of
    > course....we were quite happy on dialup until Ihug came up with a decent
    > deal, but he is/was into Eve online and offered to pay for the setup on
    > xtra. We all regret the fact with the hassles we have had over the last
    > year or so. He doesn't miss the usenet like I do but a couple of nights of
    > not doing as good a job of cooking as well as I usually do might make him
    > regret the decision.

    The DNS servers should work, an ISPs DNS is not usually locked down to
    their IPs only........

    hmmmm.....looks like Ihug's IS locked down.......

    hermes:/etc/munin/plugins# host -t ns ihug.co.nz
    ihug.co.nz name server ns2.ihug.net.nz.
    ihug.co.nz name server ns1.tig.com.au.
    ihug.co.nz name server ns1.ihug.net.nz.
    hermes:/etc/munin/plugins#
    hermes:/etc/munin/plugins# nslookup
    > server ns2.ihug.net.nz

    Default server: ns2.ihug.net.nz
    Address: 203.109.252.8#53
    > www.thing.dyndns.org

    Server: ns2.ihug.net.nz
    Address: 203.109.252.8#53

    ** server can't find www.thing.dynxxs.org: REFUSED
    > set type=mx

    ** server can't find debian.org: REFUSED
    > quit

    Server: ns2.ihug.net.nz
    Address: 203.109.252.8#53

    Somewhat anal of ihug.....

    While xtra's is open........

    hermes:/etc/munin/plugins# host -t ns xtra.co.nz
    xtra.co.nz name server terminator.xtra.co.nz.
    xtra.co.nz name server alien.xtra.co.nz.
    hermes:/etc/munin/plugins# nslookup
    > server terminator.xtra.co.nz

    Default server: terminator.xtra.co.nz
    Address: 202.27.184.5#53
    > www.thing.dyndns.org

    Server: terminator.xtra.co.nz
    Address: 202.27.184.5#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    www.thing.dynxxs.org canonical name = thing.dynxxs.org.
    Name: thing.dynxxs.org
    Address: 203.96.xxx.xxx
    > www.debian.org

    Server: terminator.xtra.co.nz
    Address: 202.27.184.5#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.debian.org
    Address: 192.25.206.10
    > exit

    Slingshot's is available........

    hermes:/etc/munin/plugins# host -t ns slingshot.co.nz
    slingshot.co.nz name server ns.attica.net.nz.
    slingshot.co.nz name server ns2.attica.net.nz.
    hermes:/etc/munin/plugins# nslookup
    > server ns.attica.net.nz

    Default server: ns.attica.net.nz
    Address: 202.180.64.9#53
    > www.thing.dynxxs.org

    Server: ns.attica.net.nz
    Address: 202.180.64.9#53

    www.thing.dynxxs.org canonical name = thing.dynxxs.org.
    Name: thing.dynxxs.org
    Address: 203.96.xxx.xxx
    > exit

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, May 17, 2006
  12. Keith

    Rebel Lord Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Rebel Lord wrote:

    >>> ISP's usenet servers are usually IP restricted to their customers only
    >>> so if you are connecting from a different ISP you won't be able to use
    >>> them. I don't know any NZ ISP's who have access via authentication from
    >>> outside their network.
    >>>

    >> I suspected as much thanks....might try using ihug's dns servers and
    >> see
    >> if that works but am not holding my breath :) If it fails I can wait the
    >> week or so it will take to change to the old isp...I blame the border of
    >> course....we were quite happy on dialup until Ihug came up with a decent
    >> deal, but he is/was into Eve online and offered to pay for the setup on
    >> xtra. We all regret the fact with the hassles we have had over the last
    >> year or so. He doesn't miss the usenet like I do but a couple of nights
    >> of not doing as good a job of cooking as well as I usually do might make
    >> him regret the decision.

    > Im missing something in your issue, when I switched from xtra (adsl) to
    > ihug (adsl) I was provided an ihug dial up account to use immediately
    > How come ihug hasnt done the same for you?

    They have and yes I could use it,,,however if I want to keep using
    broadband it is still with xtra for another week approx...with seven
    computers on the network...I really do not want to use dial up
    Rebel Lord, May 17, 2006
  13. Keith

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >> On an aside anyone know how I can use Ihug's usenet server from
    >> xtra and knode.

    > ISP's usenet servers are usually IP restricted to their customers
    > only so if you are connecting from a different ISP you won't be able
    > to use them. I don't know any NZ ISP's who have access via
    > authentication from outside their network.

    It might be worth Orcon's while looking into it though Craig. I hear there
    are a bunch or Xtra customers looking for a newserver. Charge 'em a few
    bucks a month/$20 a year, periodically offer them special deals if they join
    Orcon......
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 17, 2006
  14. On Wed, 17 May 2006 20:37:26 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > It should make available the group name and allow you to subscribe,
    > otherwise you cannot post to it can you...so you cannot get it ie
    > catch22.

    One way of posting to a group, which I have found to be effective when I
    can read a group on a server that is read-only but the server that I post
    from does not have the group... is to cross post to it from an otherwise
    dead group that the server still carries.

    That enables me to post to an otherwise inaccessable NG. :eek:)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 17, 2006
  15. On Wed, 17 May 2006 20:24:37 +1200, Rebel Lord wrote:

    > If you
    > can't answer the question I asked why even bother to comment.

    Your question was already well answered.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 17, 2006
  16. Keith

    Shane Guest

    Rebel Lord wrote:

    > They have and yes I could use it,,,however if I want to keep using
    > broadband it is still with xtra for another week approx...with seven
    > computers on the network...I really do not want to use dial up

    One workaround, use ihugs dial up account for usenet?

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6
    Shane, May 17, 2006
  17. Keith

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 20:50:23 +1200, in message <>,
    thingy wrote:

    [Rebel Lord]
> [...]

    [Craig Whitmore]
    > >>ISP's usenet servers are usually IP restricted to their
    > >>customers only so if you are connecting from a different ISP
    > >>you won't be able to use them.

    [Rebel Lord]
    > > I suspected as much thanks....might try using ihug's dns
    > > servers and see if that works but am not holding my breath :)

    [thingy]
    > The DNS servers should work, an ISPs DNS is not usually locked
    > down to their IPs only........

    They might possibly work as DNS servers, but they won't work to
    give "Rebel Lord" access to IHUG's news server from Xtra.
    "Rebel Lord" will still have an Xtra IP address.
    Ralph Fox, May 18, 2006