    Also, it seems like I don't hear people saying that as much anymore. Does
    this advice still apply to today's laptops?

    Just curious...

    guillermo, Jun 21, 2004

  2. guillermo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "guillermo" <guillermo@june.20> wrote in message
    news:D
    > > I remember that people used to say you should let your laptop's
    > > battery run out before recharging it. Why was that?
    > >
    > > Also, it seems like I don't hear people saying that as much
    > > anymore. Does this advice still apply to today's laptops?
    > >
    > > Just curious...

    The "non-technical" answer:

    That was in reference to the old NiCad batteries. The NiCads have a "memory"
    problem - if you only discharge it part way each time, it "memorizes" that
    point. And then it will not function as a fully charged battery - it gets to
    that spot and quits.

    Newer laptops come with Lithium Ion batteries, and they don't require the
    full discharge since they don't have the memory problem.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jun 21, 2004

  3. I have a fairly new laptop. I was told that the first night I had it I
    should let the battery totally discharge. I haven't done so since that
    first night.
    Karen

    Karen Kording, Jun 21, 2004