    same question, which either means I am to dumb to find the correct
    option or nobody has to deal with huge amounts of pictures.

    Ok, thanks in advance for every hint on solving that problem - Tom
    Tom, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Tom

    Dave Guest

    (Tom) wrote in message news:<>...
    > [...]
    > My question: Is there any way to tell IrfanView to store the retrieved
    > Thumbnails on disk so it won't have to rebuild them every time I open
    > the thumbnail view ? I ask because even if IV is rather fast in
    > retrieving the thumbnails, it takes considerable time depending on how
    > many and how large pictures you have.
    >
    > The funny thing is that I could not find anybody who was bugged by the
    > same question, which either means I am to dumb to find the correct
    > option or nobody has to deal with huge amounts of pictures.
    >
    > Ok, thanks in advance for every hint on solving that problem - Tom

    I don't know if it is possible but I've had directories where
    IrfanView hit some limit related to creating thumbnails and just
    created some null symbol. Perhaps I didn't have enough free memory. It
    would be nice to discuss the finer details of Irfanview because it is
    such a nice program. My only personal gripe is that selected Exif
    field can't be displayed by default.
    Dave, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Tom

    Frank ess Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > (Tom) wrote in message
    >> [...]
    >> My question: Is there any way to tell IrfanView to store the
    >> retrieved
    >> Thumbnails on disk so it won't have to rebuild them every time I open
    >> the thumbnail view ? I ask because even if IV is rather fast in
    >> retrieving the thumbnails, it takes considerable time depending on
    >> how
    >> many and how large pictures you have.
    >>
    >> The funny thing is that I could not find anybody who was bugged by
    >> the
    >> same question, which either means I am to dumb to find the correct
    >> option or nobody has to deal with huge amounts of pictures.
    >>
    >> Ok, thanks in advance for every hint on solving that problem - Tom

    > I don't know if it is possible but I've had directories where
    > IrfanView hit some limit related to creating thumbnails and just
    > created some null symbol. Perhaps I didn't have enough free memory. It
    > would be nice to discuss the finer details of Irfanview because it is
    > such a nice program. My only personal gripe is that selected Exif
    > field can't be displayed by default.

    It seems to me IrfanView creates a "cache" file in the directory, but that
    if anything in there changes, it has to rebuild the whole thing. A waste of
    space and time, I think, since it appears as if something changes every
    time. I agree it's a problem, and would be interested in hearing if anyone
    knows of a solution.

    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Tom,

    I am also developing a free and fast image viewer. You can take a look at
    some of the screen shots here:

    http://www.dmmd.net/products/visere_screenshots.htm

    In the current version (2.0.5) thumbnails are created on the fly each time
    (although we do use downsampling reading which speeds up things) but in the
    next version 2.0.6 Visere will have an option to save the thumbnails as
    JPGs. Contact me off line if you like Visere and have some ideas on how to
    better customize it for your needs.

    Best,
    Darian at dmmd dot net.

    Darian Muresan, Apr 4, 2004