    brands VS Cannon? Quality VS price? Anything I should generally stay away
    from. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

    Robert
    Robert, Jun 18, 2005

  2. Robert

    Tony Guest

    In general you get what you pay for. Quantary is Sigma and both have
    serious compatibility problems. Phoenix is Vivitar, which is junk. Tamron
    and Tokina seem to be pretty good for the price, but I quite frankly stick
    to Canon lenses.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Jun 18, 2005

  3. Robert

    Skip M Guest

    > Are there any difference in quality with Quantaray, Tamron, Sigma or other
    > brands VS Cannon? Quality VS price? Anything I should generally stay away
    > from. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.
    >
    > Robert

    Generally speaking, Quantaray is a brand to stay away from, they are lenses
    made to a price by either Tamron or Sigma, low quality and low price. The
    are Ritz Camera's house brand. Tamron and Sigma both make some decent
    lenses, some are as good as their Canon equivalents, like Tamron 90mm f2.8
    Macro lens. Some of Canon's lower end lenses, like the 28-90 f4.5-5.6,
    28-105 f4.5-5.6 (not the f3.5-4.5) and some others, can be pretty dire, too.
    The way I look at it, if there's a lens that you'd use sparingly, but if you
    need it, you really NEED it, look at Tamron or Tokina. If it's a lens that
    you'll depend on, time after time, like I do with my 28-135 IS Canon, stick
    with Canon. I bought a Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 several years ago, because I felt
    my sparing usage of this lens wouldn't justify the cost of the Canon 17-35,
    the then current equivalent, which just barely out tested the Sigma. But,
    with the advent of the smaller sized sensors on digital SLRs, I've found
    myself using that lens more than I thought. Its limitations became very
    obvious, and I've bought the Canon 16-35 f2.8, a much better lens.
    Also, Sigma seems to have compatibility problems with Canon cameras that are
    introduced subsequent to the introduction of the lens. Not all have this
    problem, but why play roulette if you don't have to? Neither Tamron nor
    Tokina have these issues, by the way.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jun 18, 2005
  4. Robert

    TAFKAB Guest

    Opinions will be all over the map, but I rarely buy third party lenses due
    to compatibility issues. Stick with Canon lenses. Also, I've had some truly
    awful experiences with some brands, like Sigma, so I'll never buy another
    Sigma product again. Maybe it's the "once bitten twice shy" effect, but I
    owned three different Sigma lenses, and all three failed mechanically.

    TAFKAB, Jun 18, 2005
  5. Robert

    eatmorepies Guest

    > Are there any difference in quality with Quantaray, Tamron, Sigma or other
    > brands VS Cannon? Quality VS price? Anything I should generally stay away
    > from. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.
    >
    > Robert

    You've bought an expensive body - don't stick cheap lenses on it. I have
    bought one Canon L series lens for my 350D - so far, the 70 - 200mm f2.8.
    The results as so good, so far away from the 28 to 105mm f3.5/45 I also own,
    that the 24-70 f2.8 L series is on its way. I also own the EF 50mm f1.4,
    it's quite good; and at less than half the price of an L series lens it is a
    good buy (if you have a use for a 50mm lens).

    You 20D will wear out/break in the next few years, your lenses won't. Buy
    the best.

    John
    eatmorepies, Jun 18, 2005
  6. Robert

    Pete D Guest

    Quantary I believe use both Tamron and Sigma. You get what you pay for, the
    more expensive in both Sigma and Tamron are quite good. If you can't afford
    the camera manufacturers lenses then they can be a good compromise.

    Pete D, Jun 18, 2005