    Thanks
    JR

    , Aug 1, 2006

  2. Rudy Benner Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Im considering buying a Nikon D70 (body only) and plannign on using my
    > Nikkor lense (from an old N6006, film). Are the lenses interchangable
    > between a film camera and a digital. Im assuming since there both mande
    > by Nikon, they will be.
    >
    > Thanks
    > JR

    Do not make that assumption. There are issues.

    Some lenses are compatible, some are not. I cannot find the link detailing
    exactly which lenses fit and which do not. I expect someone will jump in
    with a link to those details.

    If I was shopping for a new D-70, I would buy it with the new Nikon AF-S
    Nikkor 18 - 200 mm f/3.5-5.6G DX ED VR lenses. Just got mine today. Awesome.
    My other lenses will likely be sold.

    Rudy Benner, Aug 1, 2006

  3. Rudy Benner Guest

    http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/compatibility.html

    Rudy Benner, Aug 1, 2006
  4. ASAAR Guest

    On 31 Jul 2006 19:07:36 -0700, wrote:

    > Im considering buying a Nikon D70 (body only) and plannign on using my
    > Nikkor lense (from an old N6006, film). Are the lenses interchangable
    > between a film camera and a digital. Im assuming since there both mande
    > by Nikon, they will be.

    Here are several messages from last year that somewhat address
    your question. Note where the first says that the "D1 or D2 series
    camera will meter just fine with that lens, they just chose to leave
    it out of the D70 (and D100)". The more recent D200 also shares the
    D1 and D2's metering compatibility. The last quoted message was
    added just to allow you to follow the link to an author's website.
    His Nikon guidebooks are acknowledged by many to be the best
    available, they're available as eBooks (PDF file on a CD), and one
    is available specifically for the D70. I don't own nor have I read
    any of them. But if I get a digital body for my old AI-S lenses I
    will. He also has a document titled "Making Sense of Lens Acronyms"
    that you'll probably find useful with its table showing lens
    functionality for different combinations of Nikon's lenses and
    camera bodies:

    http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

    For readability, the following unedited messages were copied
    and pasted and weren't cluttered by adding more quote marks:

    /**********************************************************************/

    From: David Dyer-Bennet <>
    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    Subject: Re: Nikon D70s and manual lenses
    Date: 12 Aug 2005 13:30:02 -0500

    "Hamish Walker" <> writes:

    > Am I right in thinking that a manual-focus, 'old-fashioned'
    > Nikon-fit zoom lens will work quite happily on a Nikon D70s? I'm
    > about to buy the D70s, but I have a Sigma APO 75-300 f4.5/5.6
    > Nikon-fit lens which I currently use on my FE2, and it would be a
    > shame to have to get rid of it.

    If it's modern enough to be an "AI" or "AIS" lens, yes, with one
    limitation: On a D70, it won't meter at all. You'll have to use
    manual exposure. On a digital, with instant review, and histogram
    display, manual exposure by trial and error doesn't bother me at
    all.
    Some other people it drives crazy. Anyway, them's the facts, decide
    what you'll be happy with.

    > Without a split-image focussing screen to help me focus, will some
    > sort of focus confirmation work? Which semi-auto modes will work -
    > I'm mainly going to be interested in aperture priority? Will shutter
    > priority work (i.e. will the camera stop the lens down to the
    > suggested aperture automatically)?

    Yes, the focus confirmation dot would work, if the lens was fast
    enough for auto-focus. Yours is just marginal.

    None of the semi-auto modes will work. Not aperture priority, not
    shutter priority. Metering is completely absent. This is a design
    decision by Nikon; a D1 or D2 series camera will meter just fine
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:>,
    <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    /**********************************************************************/

    From: Dave <>
    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    Subject: Re: Nikon D50 & Older Lenses
    Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:10:21 -0400

    wrote:
    > I have been using a Nikon film camera & assorted lenses for many yrs.
    > Its not the top of the line however & older!
    > I want to up grade to a D50 I think. If I buy a D50 & regular lens,I
    > really would like to use my Nikkor telephoto lenses. My 300mm one I use
    > for sports action shots(450mm with D50 I guess)is my prime concern. I
    > can put up with manual focus just fine I think, did in film camera! Its
    > the light level setting that I am concerned about. Nikon will not
    > answer me & their on line info is confusing.I do not expect coupling,
    > but a meter read out is likely needed at least on a check. Could a
    > guess to light be made & a short taken & view results to adjust f-stops
    > up or down? Is there a way to use the older Nikkor lenses that only
    > have a pin coupler?
    > Dick

    FYI - There is a person who re-chips lenses to solve just this
    problem.
    I think it will only work with AI, AI-S and AIed lenses and he is
    very
    specific about which lenses he will work on.

    Here is a link to his site. I have no personal experience with him,
    but
    others have used him for this.

    http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm

    Be sure to follow his directions as he's quite fussy.

    Hope this helps,
    Dave

    /**********************************************************************/

    From: Father Kodak <>
    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    Subject: Re: Thom Hogan
    Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:13:54 -0800

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:54:35 -0800, "Monty X"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >
    >The subject person writes guides to various camera's and his excursions in
    >the pursuit of photography trips. I have briefly examined his web site and
    >have access to one of his e-books on a camera model not related to my DSLR.
    >
    >If anyone here has purchased his e-books, please comment on them, did they
    >help you understand your camera better, well written, good descriptions,
    >etc. If you were not pleased let me know that as well and if possible why
    >it was not your cup of tea?
    >
    >Thank you in advance.
    >
    >Monty

    I haven't actually read one of his books. but ...

    I tried to buy a copy of the Nikon Field Guide, which is
    unfortunately
    out of print. If you go on Amazon, people are selling _used_
    copies
    for upwards of $100. I forget the new book price, but it was about
    $20-$25.

    That should tell you something.

    However, he focuses on Nikon cameras and lenses. Check out his web
    site: www.bythom.com.

    Hope this helps.

    Father Kodak

    /**********************************************************************/

    ASAAR, Aug 1, 2006
  5. [BnH] Guest

    IF they are autofocus lens , I can say 99% yes.

    [BnH], Aug 1, 2006
  6. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Im considering buying a Nikon D70 (body only) and plannign on using my
    > Nikkor lense (from an old N6006, film). Are the lenses interchangable
    > between a film camera and a digital. Im assuming since there both mande
    > by Nikon, they will be.
    >
    > Thanks
    > JR

    The Nikon Website used to have a chart which showed what functions were
    available with what lenses and Cameras.

    It was not the most easily read or understood chart, that I have come
    across. You will also get a copy of it in the Instruction Manual for the
    D70 Body.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 1, 2006
  7. ASAAR <> wrote:
    >On 31 Jul 2006 19:07:36 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> Im considering buying a Nikon D70 (body only) and plannign on using my
    >> Nikkor lense (from an old N6006, film). Are the lenses interchangable
    >> between a film camera and a digital. Im assuming since there both mande
    >> by Nikon, they will be.

    The D70 lack's a mechanical coupling for the AiS and Ai lenses
    to indicate to the camera where the aperture ring has been set.
    There is a previous message that ASAAR's post quoted that I
    wanted to add to, which concerns that aspect and a couple other
    points.

    >"Hamish Walker" <> writes:
    >
    >> Am I right in thinking that a manual-focus, 'old-fashioned'
    >> Nikon-fit zoom lens will work quite happily on a Nikon D70s? I'm
    >> about to buy the D70s, but I have a Sigma APO 75-300 f4.5/5.6
    >> Nikon-fit lens which I currently use on my FE2, and it would be a
    >> shame to have to get rid of it.

    >If it's modern enough to be an "AI" or "AIS" lens, yes, with one
    >limitation: On a D70, it won't meter at all. You'll have to use
    >manual exposure. On a digital, with instant review, and histogram
    >display, manual exposure by trial and error doesn't bother me at
    >all.
    >Some other people it drives crazy. Anyway, them's the facts, decide
    >what you'll be happy with.

    As noted, some people would go bonkers...

    The D70 light meter works only with lenses that have electronic
    coupling.

    Without the Ai/AiS mechanical coupling to tell the camera what
    the aperture ring is set to, the D70 work with Ai/Ais lenses the
    same as the D1 and D2 series works with the even older F mount
    lenses.

    For some purposes though, it isn't all that bad. I have a
    wonderful old 1970's vintage 800mm lense with a F mount, and
    have to use the histogram and blink-on-over-exposure display to
    set correct exposure. One side effect, however, is learning to
    do it *even* *with* *modern* *lenses* that have electronic
    coupling! Reflected light exposure meters depend on an
    "average reflective" scene, and most scenes are not, but they
    are close. By using the blinking display on the camera it is
    possible to set proper exposures within 1/3 of an fstop.

    It certainly slows down your work though, and if lengthy setup
    times are unreasonable, it fails. It is also more difficult
    when the lighting changes from shot to shot, which makes for
    tedious work.

    >> Without a split-image focussing screen to help me focus, will some
    >> sort of focus confirmation work? Which semi-auto modes will work -
    >> I'm mainly going to be interested in aperture priority? Will shutter
    >> priority work (i.e. will the camera stop the lens down to the
    >> suggested aperture automatically)?

    >Yes, the focus confirmation dot would work, if the lens was fast
    >enough for auto-focus. Yours is just marginal.

    Focusing is an issue with any of the older manual focus lenses.
    It simply is *not* convenient to look down into the corner of
    the viewfinder to check to focus indicator. Here is one
    solution,

    http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

    They sell focusing screens ($105 for the D70) with a split prism
    center and a matte ground glass collar focusing aide in the
    center of the viewing screen. I know there is at least one
    other company that also makes them, but I don't recall what the
    name was. Google will probably turn up references to both.

    I can vouch for the effectiveness of the KatzEye Optics focusing
    screens. It does in fact work to f/11 just as they say. While
    I found trying to use manual focus lenses a real problem without
    it, and don't find it nearly as fast to work with as Auto Focus,
    it has made it *much* nicer to use all of those wonderful old MF
    lenses that are selling for peanuts!

    However, it works much better with shorter focal length lenses
    than with something like the 800mm mentioned above, where I
    perhaps actually find the viewfinder AF indicator slightly more
    useful when using that lense.

    >None of the semi-auto modes will work. Not aperture priority, not
    >shutter priority. Metering is completely absent. This is a design
    >decision by Nikon; a D1 or D2 series camera will meter just fine
    >with
    >that lens, they just chose to leave it out of the D70 (and D100).

    One other solution is to bite the bullet hard and get a D200 or
    even harder and get a D2x.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Aug 1, 2006
  8. ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:58:06 -0800, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    > The D70 lack's a mechanical coupling for the AiS and Ai lenses
    > to indicate to the camera where the aperture ring has been set.
    > There is a previous message that ASAAR's post quoted that I
    > wanted to add to, which concerns that aspect and a couple other
    > points.

    Thanks for the annotations, and I've already copied your followup
    to a Nikon archive. I especially liked the note that split prism
    focusing screens are available, in case my old lenses find their way
    onto a D70 body.

    ASAAR, Aug 1, 2006