    Area ?

    Thanks,,

    , Nov 16, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi Guys , i have been offered a Canon 20-35 F2.8 L Non usm lens...very
    > cheap..
    >
    > Its a nice lens... But it needs the optics cleaning.. ( some fungus
    > inside due to bad storage ) .
    >
    > And am wondering , How much does a service cost for this sort if thing
    > ?
    >
    > Anybody know someone that does a good job for a good cost in the London
    > Area ?
    >

    > Thanks,,

    Which London?
    Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\), Nov 16, 2006

  3. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi Guys , i have been offered a Canon 20-35 F2.8 L Non usm lens...very
    > cheap..
    >
    > Its a nice lens... But it needs the optics cleaning.. ( some fungus
    > inside due to bad storage ) .
    >
    > And am wondering , How much does a service cost for this sort if thing
    > ?
    >
    > Anybody know someone that does a good job for a good cost in the London
    > Area ?

    Have you tried yellow pages? Let you fingers do the walking...
    Stewy, Nov 16, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Hi Guys , i have been offered a Canon 20-35 F2.8 L Non usm lens...very
    > cheap..
    >
    > Its a nice lens... But it needs the optics cleaning.. ( some fungus
    > inside due to bad storage ) .
    >
    > And am wondering , How much does a service cost for this sort if thing
    > ?
    >
    > Anybody know someone that does a good job for a good cost in the
    > London Area ?
    >

    > Thanks,,

    I think I would pass.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Nov 16, 2006
  5. Skip Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys , i have been offered a Canon 20-35 F2.8 L Non usm lens...very
    > cheap..
    >
    > Its a nice lens... But it needs the optics cleaning.. ( some fungus
    > inside due to bad storage ) .
    >
    > And am wondering , How much does a service cost for this sort if thing
    > ?
    >
    > Anybody know someone that does a good job for a good cost in the London
    > Area ?
    >

    > Thanks,,

    As a point of reference, I got an absolutely pristine example of this lens,
    complete with hard leather case in equally pristine condition, from KEH.com
    for $500, which is, what, about 300GBP? Just so you know if it is cheap
    enough, including repair cost.
    Personally, I'd pass on it.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip, Nov 17, 2006
  6. Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs) wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > Which London?

    How many are there? I suspect the capital of the UK is one he has in mind.
    Derek Fountain, Nov 17, 2006
  7. "Derek Fountain" <> wrote in message
    > Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs) wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message Which London?

    > How many are there? I suspect the capital of the UK is one he has in mind.

    Oh, that one, I suppose it could be, I would have thought of London Ontario
    first.
    Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\), Nov 17, 2006
  8. >> How many are there? I suspect the capital of the UK is one he has in mind.

    > Oh, that one, I suppose it could be, I would have thought of London Ontario
    > first.

    I didn't even know there was a London in Ontario! Given the OP is using
    a BT (British Telecom) email address, I think the UK one is the one he's
    thinking of.

    The business of clarifying city names with state/country suffixes is a
    US-thing. I've never know any European people do that, and it still
    sounds weird to me when Americans say "Paris, France" or something.
    Derek Fountain, Nov 17, 2006
  9. On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:16:13 +0000, Derek Fountain
    <> wrote:

    >>> How many are there? I suspect the capital of the UK is one he has in mind.

    >> Oh, that one, I suppose it could be, I would have thought of London Ontario
    >> first.

    >I didn't even know there was a London in Ontario! Given the OP is using
    >a BT (British Telecom) email address, I think the UK one is the one he's
    >thinking of.
    >
    >The business of clarifying city names with state/country suffixes is a
    >US-thing. I've never know any European people do that, and it still
    >sounds weird to me when Americans say "Paris, France" or something.

    How about Paris Texas?

    --

    Scott in Florida
    Scott in Florida, Nov 17, 2006
  10. >> The business of clarifying city names with state/country suffixes is a
    >> US-thing. I've never know any European people do that, and it still
    >> sounds weird to me when Americans say "Paris, France" or something.

    > How about Paris Texas?

    :eek:)

    I'm not saying clarification isn't important where necessary, I'm saying
    Europeans don't see it as necessary all the time. If a European told me
    he was going to Paris, I'd assume France, and 999/1000 that's where he'd
    be going. If he were actually going to Texas he'd clarify. Same with the
    OP - when he said London, he would have assumed people would think he
    meant London, England.
    Derek Fountain, Nov 17, 2006
  11. Derek Fountain wrote:
    >>> The business of clarifying city names with state/country suffixes is
    >>> a US-thing. I've never know any European people do that, and it still
    >>> sounds weird to me when Americans say "Paris, France" or something.

    >> How about Paris Texas?

    > :eek:)
    >
    > I'm not saying clarification isn't important where necessary, I'm saying
    > Europeans don't see it as necessary all the time. If a European told me
    > he was going to Paris, I'd assume France, and 999/1000 that's where he'd
    > be going. If he were actually going to Texas he'd clarify. Same with the
    > OP - when he said London, he would have assumed people would think he
    > meant London, England.

    If you're living within driving distance, say of, Paris, Texas, you
    would say, "I'm going to Paris later today", or to "Paris, France" if
    that were your destination.

    But if you lived in NYC and said you were going to "Paris", everyone
    would know you meant the Capital city of France. If you said you were
    going to "Paris, France" you'd be thought a bit provinicial.

    It's certainly unnecessary to specify a State where the name is unique,
    such as Los Angeles, as everyone knows what you mean, even though there
    are other Los Angeles de something or other.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Nov 17, 2006
  12. J. Clarke Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:16:13 +0000, Derek Fountain wrote:

    >>> How many are there? I suspect the capital of the UK is one he has in mind.

    >> Oh, that one, I suppose it could be, I would have thought of London Ontario
    >> first.

    > I didn't even know there was a London in Ontario! Given the OP is using
    > a BT (British Telecom) email address, I think the UK one is the one he's
    > thinking of.
    >
    > The business of clarifying city names with state/country suffixes is a
    > US-thing. I've never know any European people do that, and it still
    > sounds weird to me when Americans say "Paris, France" or something.

    It's important to make the distinction in the US as several states have a
    "London" or a "Paris".

    --
    X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt
    J. Clarke, Nov 17, 2006
  13. "Derek Fountain" <> wrote in message
    >>> How many are there? I suspect the capital of the UK is one he has in
    >>> mind.

    >> Oh, that one, I suppose it could be, I would have thought of London
    >> Ontario first.

    > I didn't even know there was a London in Ontario! Given the OP is using a
    > BT (British Telecom) email address, I think the UK one is the one he's
    > thinking of.
    >
    > The business of clarifying city names with state/country suffixes is a
    > US-thing. I've never know any European people do that, and it still sounds
    > weird to me when Americans say "Paris, France" or something.

    Paris Ontario, Paris Texas, I am sure there are others. Oh, of course, not
    to forget Paris France.
    Rudy Benner \(All_Thumbs\), Nov 17, 2006
  14. Jim Guest

    > Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs) wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message Which London?

    > How many are there? I suspect the capital of the UK is one he has in mind.

    I suspect so because his isp is btinternet. "bt" = British Telecom.

    My own though on the issue is "too much".

    Jim
    Jim, Nov 17, 2006
  15. Bill Funk Guest

    On 16 Nov 2006 14:17:21 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi Guys , i have been offered a Canon 20-35 F2.8 L Non usm lens...very
    >cheap..
    >
    >Its a nice lens... But it needs the optics cleaning.. ( some fungus
    >inside due to bad storage ) .
    >
    >And am wondering , How much does a service cost for this sort if thing
    >?
    >
    >Anybody know someone that does a good job for a good cost in the London
    >Area ?
    >

    >Thanks,,

    Fungus feeds on something, but I doubt it will feed on glass.
    So whatever it's feeding on is ruined, whether it's plastic, or
    coatings, or whatever.
    If I wer eyou, I'd call soem lens repair places and ask them, as they
    will have the experience needed to give you an estimate.
    In any case, it won't be a simple disasembly/cleaning.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Nov 17, 2006
  16. Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:15:38 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

    > On 16 Nov 2006 14:17:21 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Guys , i have been offered a Canon 20-35 F2.8 L Non usm lens...very
    >>cheap..
    >>
    >>Its a nice lens... But it needs the optics cleaning.. ( some fungus
    >>inside due to bad storage ) .
    >>
    >>And am wondering , How much does a service cost for this sort if thing
    >>?
    >>
    >>Anybody know someone that does a good job for a good cost in the London
    >>Area ?
    >>

    >>Thanks,,

    > Fungus feeds on something, but I doubt it will feed on glass.
    > So whatever it's feeding on is ruined, whether it's plastic, or
    > coatings, or whatever.

    When lenses were cemented together with gum arabic some (not all that
    many) lenses were attacked by a fungus ( it was the cement that was
    attacked not the glass).

    > If I wer eyou, I'd call soem lens repair places and ask them, as they
    > will have the experience needed to give you an estimate. In any case, it
    > won't be a simple disasembly/cleaning.

    It will be a very skilled job - I hope they have a good optical bench.

    --
    Neil
    swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email
    Neil Ellwood, Nov 17, 2006
  17. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Scott in Florida <> wrote:

    > >> Oh, that one, I suppose it could be, I would have thought of London
    > >> Ontario
    > >> first.

    > >I didn't even know there was a London in Ontario! Given the OP is using
    > >a BT (British Telecom) email address, I think the UK one is the one he's
    > >thinking of.
    > >
    > >The business of clarifying city names with state/country suffixes is a
    > >US-thing. I've never know any European people do that, and it still
    > >sounds weird to me when Americans say "Paris, France" or something.

    > How about Paris Texas?

    Let's not forget Paris Hilton.
    Stewy, Nov 18, 2006
  18. Stewy wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Scott in Florida <> wrote:

    >>> I didn't even know there was a London in Ontario! Given the OP is using
    >>> a BT (British Telecom) email address, I think the UK one is the one he's
    >>> thinking of.
    >>>
    >>> The business of clarifying city names with state/country suffixes is a
    >>> US-thing. I've never know any European people do that, and it still
    >>> sounds weird to me when Americans say "Paris, France" or something.

    >> How about Paris Texas?

    > Let's not forget Paris Hilton.

    Already had. Until you brought it up.... sob. But easily dismissed from
    the mind, and from the view.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Nov 18, 2006
  19. Paul J Gans Guest

    Derek Fountain <> wrote:
    >Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs) wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> Which London?

    >How many are there? I suspect the capital of the UK is one he has in mind.

    London, Ontario in Canada has a certain following around here.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Nov 18, 2006
  20. Ken Tough Guest

    Derek Fountain <> wrote:

    >The business of clarifying city names with state/country suffixes is a
    >US-thing. I've never know any European people do that, and it still
    >sounds weird to me when Americans say "Paris, France" or something.

    I know a good service place in Birmingham.

    <which one?>

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Tough, Nov 18, 2006